Error 403 - again!

Started by roland johnson, July 18, 2021, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roland johnson

I've seen other posts on this subject, but no simple answer. Apologies if I've missed one...

I watched the n Gauge Forum Show yesterday by clicking on a link I found somewhere. I came back this morning and googled "n gauge forum" which gave me the link https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk, but clicking on this gives me error 403. I don't remember this happening before, indeed I've got a bookmark with this address, which I wouldn't have saved if it gave me an error! Maybe it has to do with my new computer - MacBook running OS version 11.4 and browsing with Safari version 14.11. I got in eventually, but I don't have access to the home page, which seems odd.

I've read various suggestions (clear cache, restart, ...) which I've tried without success.

Judging by the posts I found on this subject, I'm not alone, so surely there must be a known cause and a corresponding solution ...?

Malc

I don't run a MacBook, but I use an iPad with Safari. I tried the link in your post and it got straight in. Error 403 usually means you found the server but you are not authorised.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

LASteve

If you're on a new laptop, don't use the old bookmark saved from your browser. Navigate to the forum as if it's your first time by typing the URL. You'll need to login again as if you're brand new - usename, password, keep logged in "Forever" if I remember correctly.

Once you're in, bookmark the landing page and you'll be all set.

Tank

I can't replicate it, so hoping it was a 'one off'.  Let me know if it happens again and the steps you took to get there.  Thanks!

roland johnson

Quote from: LASteve on July 19, 2021, 06:25:02 AM
If you're on a new laptop, don't use the old bookmark saved from your browser. Navigate to the forum as if it's your first time by typing the URL. You'll need to login again as if you're brand new - usename, password, keep logged in "Forever" if I remember correctly.

Once you're in, bookmark the landing page and you'll be all set.

I deleted the old bookmark and typed in the URL, but I didn't have to login in again as a new user, so maybe I missed something here.

Quote from: Tank on July 19, 2021, 10:52:44 AM
I can't replicate it, so hoping it was a 'one off'.  Let me know if it happens again and the steps you took to get there.  Thanks!

I still have the same effect, though I can get in with this link:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=forum
but when I then click on Home, I still get the same error.

I tried again with Firefox and found the same behaviour.

Since others can't replicate it, it must have something to do with my hardware, settings or address. However, I repeat that I'm not alone - there are several instances of this reported on the forum - just search for "Error 403". Here's one I found:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45755.msg576976#msg576976

where Takamine reports very similar behaviour. I browsed through that thread, but didn't find a clear diagnosis.

strain

I am now getting this error message when I try to access the forum though Google search or if I press the home button on the site.  I can get into the site if I choose recent posts in Google.   It does not appear to be machine related as I get the same outcomes  on my Windows PC, Android phone and Android tablet   :hmmm:

Malc-c

Error 403 can be anything from a cached cookie in the browser through to an ISP being on a black lists, so resolving it is going to be difficult as it's not something that is local to the single machine.

If you google the error you'll see suggestions for things to do at your end, such as rebooting the router, clearing history and saved information in the browser, but if you still get the error, even on a new browser that has no retained data then the issue may be remote and related to the setting on the host server or their ISP.
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

strain

Many thanks for your reply.  My problem seems to be a local one as I can access the home button if I log on using mobile data rather than wi-fi.  I'll try rebooting the router next.

strain

I've been away for 3 days and weirdly the error has gone away! All good now - thanks again to Malc-c.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations