Cover for layout

Started by Brenda, November 26, 2012, 06:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brenda

Hi everyone,
Being a complete novice I need help please. I've just started building my first layout. It is 38x72" which is the maximum space available. I've had marine ply 12mm cut to size by the local merchant and I built an interlocking frame underneath with 11" square spaces and drilled holes for wires. I've screwed the ply down each side of every joint with countersink holes. Can I please have advice on the following
1)   should I fill over the screws so I have a smooth surface?
2)   Do I also need to cover the ply with cork etc before the track is laid
3)   I have a cat, which will also have to use the room the layout is in.
Obviously I want to keep him and his fur off the track. So I would
Like to build a clear cover that could be taken off easily in sections.
Can anyone suggest a design, type & thickness of clear material for flat areas and frame.

All help really appreciated
Many thanks
:thankyousign:
B.

Pengi

Welcome to the Forum Brenda, great to have you on board!

I know that some of our members have cats - I've seen them in pictures of their layouts so I'm sure you will get some advice on how to encourage the cats away from the tracks.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Caz

Hi Brenda,

Welcome the forum Brenda, nice to have another girl onboard, think that makes 5 of us now  :claphappy:

You'll find us a friendly bunch and no question is too silly to ask (I've asked plenty!) there's always someone who will come with an answer.  Don't forget to use our search function, it can come up with some real gems sometimes to the most obscure of questions.

Sorry don't have a solution for your cover, but you will certainly need to do something as cats and railways definitely don't mix, their hairs get everywhere and can cause big problems for small N Gauge locos and stock.
:welcomesign:

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Oldman

One important thing to think about if you are at the planning stage is before you build a cover make allowance for any structures/scenery.
I would hate to hear you have built an effective cat shield and then have to make another one because it does not clear a structure like a factory chimney or a church tower etc.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

4x2

Easy way to deal with cats... RELCO !  :smiley-laughing:

If i had a pound every time i had a buzz from my old relco i could buy a real train !

now somebody is bound to me tell cats aren't bothered by it........ ::)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

port perran

Welcome aboard.
I'm no real expert but :
a) Probably don't need to cover the screws - especially if you are using scenic scatter material etc and/or ballast. And if you cover/fill in the screws it makes them more difficult to unscrew if necessary.
b) Cork is not essential unless you want it for noise reduction. If that's not important, don't bother with the cork I'd say.
c)Yes, as others have said, any cover needs to clear any potential scenic areas (hills etc) and your tallest building (Factory chimney).
d) Not sure how to dter the cat ! Our two tortoises don't cause me a problem !!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Oldman

Cat deterrent here would be the 2 dogs.
However the big one is not layout friendly,I have a foam board base that suffered.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Newportnobby

Hello Brenda - welcome to the forum :wave:
Great to have another lady modeller on board, and a cat lover too :thumbsup:

Apart from being able to see your handiwork, can I ask why the cover needs to be clear please, as that is likely to increase the expense of the cover considerably.
Why not pop back to your builders merchant and ask them the question? I'm sure a suitable material can be found and braced, just like your baseboard. I'm tempted to suggest hardboard but it's been a long time since I bought some so I have no idea of the cost :dunce:
Maybe some clear cloche material is available ???

Pengi

Brenda, I'd be really interested in seeing the progress you are making with the buildings particularly the 3 storey house that you are building from photographs as I am considering having a go at some scratchbuilding.

What era are you going to be modelling?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Jack

Welcome Brenda to the friendly forum  :NGF:

There's an article in the December Railway Modeler about layout covers that uses foam boards for dust covers. Weather that can be adapted for cat weight I don't know.

Although I have a cat I don't have a problem because he's too lazy to jump up more than the height of a bed.  ;D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Oldman on November 26, 2012, 08:11:23 PM
Cat deterrent here would be the 2 dogs.
However the big one is not layout friendly,I have a foam board base that suffered.

If you are not using DCC then a relco track cleaner makes a fun cat deterrent.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

agent9843

Dust!  I despised having to dust my layout.  I built a lightweight canopy over my layout.  It looks different but it has been a real pleasure not to have to dust tracks and all the scenery.   I don't have a cat, but I would venture to say that a cat would want to climb on top so it may not work for you.
Regards, Aj

silly moo

:welcomesign:

Hello Brenda and welcome, I would second the suggestion to take a look at the article about the foam board cover in the Railway Modeller. The Relco sounds like a good idea as well.

Your cat will be be delighted that your are building him or her a model railway. Most cats are keen railway modellers.

Here's an example of a layout designed specially for cats  :D

http://www.carendt.us/scrapbook/page30/index.html

Regards

Veronica

trainsdownunder

G'Day and   :welcomesign: from Down Under

Best forum around for info, help, advice and occasionally wacky ideas.

I agree with an d get a cover from the same source as the baseboard.  My cat never seemed to go anywhere near my layout - however still found her hair causing some problems.

Their whiskers make excellent single fibre paint brushes though ! :bounce:

Nice to have another lady on board.

moogle

:hellosign: and  :welcomesign: Brenda.
Please ignore all these remarks about cats and relco's - we're not all like that! Honest!

When I still lived with my parents I kept a layout under the bed and had the same dust problem.  >:(
It did keep the cat off it though! In the end I found a sheet of polythene to use but it does attract damp.
Until you've determined the height of buildings and things may I suggest a decorators dust sheet.
They're light weight and not too expensive. (And can be reused later if you do any decorating!  :thumbsup:)

On the subject of filling in the screw heads, be careful as you still need to know where the screws are when you come to track laying. As you've countersunk the screws I wouldn't bother personally.

As to cork, it's a personal preference. Once it has ballast and scenery stuck to it a lot of its sound deadening properties are lost. I never bother but again its personal preference!

Like others have said, ask any question no matter how daft as someone will have an answer and it may have already been asked before!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations