Cutting Costs on RTR Models

Started by Adam1701D, May 02, 2014, 02:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

In a slightly similar way I made a suggestion to Oxford diecast.

I said as they were producing the Lodekka they might consider supplying comprehensive sets of self applied fleet-names and advertisements with each model. This would allow you to customise it to your layouts geographical location. They were to be seen the length and breadth of the Country in either Tilling Red or Green, only less so in Scotland. I did not get a reply.

On reflection I think there is a sizeable number of collectors out there who put models into cabinets for display, and as such the transfer option if implemented would likely result in a loss of sales.

Modelmaster produce fleet-names and bus ad's. However, the last time I looked at their website it talked of semi retirement and a huge number of items not being re-printed once stocks have been sold.   

Karhedron

Quote from: ScottyStitch on May 05, 2014, 05:34:42 PMOne thought did cross my mind that might reduce cost. Could the manufacturer make an engine in a particular livery and then supply a sheet with all or a selection of numbers of that particular class in that particular livery for the modeler to select and add themselves.

Heljan tried that in 00 and they were very poor sellers, frequently ending up in the bargain bins of the box shifters. I can understand your reasoning but it seems in practice that the vast majority of modellers want to buy a fully finished model.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

silly moo

I think that a lot of people aren't confident enough or don't consider themselves skilled enough to apply transfers and numbers to locos, especially in N.

guest311

Quote from: Karhedron on May 05, 2014, 08:46:38 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on May 05, 2014, 05:34:42 PMOne thought did cross my mind that might reduce cost. Could the manufacturer make an engine in a particular livery and then supply a sheet with all or a selection of numbers of that particular class in that particular livery for the modeler to select and add themselves.

Heljan tried that in 00 and they were very poor sellers, frequently ending up in the bargain bins of the box shifters. I can understand your reasoning but it seems in practice that the vast majority of modellers want to buy a fully finished model.

didn't Dapol try it with class 73s at one time ?

Ian Morton

Quote from: trkilliman on May 05, 2014, 06:44:17 PM
In a slightly similar way I made a suggestion to Oxford diecast.

Corgi tried it a long while back with an OO Bristol L and K. It flopped.

Hornby tried it with Mk.3 coaches. You still get them sceondhand with only the part of the number that Hornby printed.

Heljan tried it with class 47s and it didn't sell.

Basically the only people who will buy them and apply them are the ones who are equally capable of removing the printed number and substituting another one anyway.

ScottyStitch

I would suggest there's a big difference between applying a number on a blank canvas and removing a number successfully and then applying a new one.

But if it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. A huge opportunity missed in my opinion to vary one's stud.

EtchedPixels

Dapol did and it was a flop. Also it would cost more not less.

The changes needed are ones that make assembly cheaper and ones that avoid the massive tooling costs for current processes.

Doesn't mean less detail but smarter design, new assembly techniques such as more robots and new materials and processes.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karhedron

Hopefully also better design mechanically. Anything that reduces the failure/return rate of the product will mean more profitable runs. The evolution of Dapol's locos (especially their steamers) has been informative. The latest locos are a great improvement over some of the early tank engines that would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Having said that, there is still room for improvement. Persistent motor overheating seems to be a bane of both their diesels and electrics. Also there seems to be an issue with the drive shafts slipping on at least some of the Westerns.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Zakalwe

For me personally i would pay more for locomotives if they were built to higher standards of engineering quality... think Kato quality... and had the same level of detail as there is now... i wouldn't want more detail than at present as i like to look at n gauge at a distance for that trains in a landscape view.

and in a few years, bringing back manufacturing here may just happen.  In the industry I work in, manufacture is coming back to Europe because the costs are offset by higher quality, output of the plant being higher than other countries and speed of manufacturing close to the consumer to be agile in demand.
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

DCCDave

Quote from: Zakalwe on May 07, 2014, 09:33:35 PM
and in a few years, bringing back manufacturing here may just happen.  In the industry I work in, manufacture is coming back to Europe because the costs are offset by higher quality, output of the plant being higher than other countries and speed of manufacturing close to the consumer to be agile in demand.

I think this may happen relatively soon. China is pricing itself out f the market, and they are not building capacity enough, hence the increasing costs and lead times.

Perhaps India will be next, or Brasil, but soon I believe design and manufacturing it will come back home.

The 3D printing market will mature over the next 5 years and that will make a huge difference.

Cheers
Dave

BobB

I have just been looking at a couple of my Farish dmu's and close examination of the detail makes me wonder if my comments about UM's standards (earlier in the thread) were justified.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations