!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 186561 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #2550 on: January 27, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
Agreed re using dearer screws after many years of trial and error. Best screws for me - inside and outside - are the ĎCutterí range by the German manufacturer Reisser. From Toolstation. Expensive perhaps, but well worth it IMHO as Iíve never had one strip itís head slots or break and they donít need a pre-drilled hole or c/sink (though I do both if I want best finished look.)

No links to any of afore-named companies except as satisfied customer.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline stevewalker

• N Gauge Society Number: 29704
    • Awards
« Reply #2551 on: January 27, 2022, 06:17:31 PM »
... Toolstation is run by the guy who started Screwfix. He sold Screwfix, but the lawyers neglected to put a clause in the sale contract to stop him doing the same again, so when Screwfix started to slide with their range and service, he started Toolstation!

I don't think that they forgot. I am pretty sure that when Toolstation opened, it was revealed that there was such a clause, but it lapsed after 5 years or something like that.

I do prefer Toolstation to Screwfix, the staff are much friendlier - at least that's the case locally.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #2552 on: January 28, 2022, 10:45:24 AM »
Curious that you have issues Steve, because I have used Screwfix since they used to run ads in Exchange and Mart in the 70s. Iíve done all sorts of building work and never ever had a problem with their screws snapping.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #2553 on: January 28, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
Maybe I was unlucky, Malc, but I used to do a lot of screwing when I was a driver/handyman at a school and found that cheap screws always caused trouble and as they say "time's money". I, therefor, used Spax screws, dearer but well worth the extra.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #2554 on: January 28, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »
Curious that you have issues Steve, because I have used Screwfix since they used to run ads in Exchange and Mart in the 70s. Iíve done all sorts of building work and never ever had a problem with their screws snapping.

Same here. I usually use Goldscrews from Screwfix both at home and at work as I do a lot of screwing these days  :goggleeyes: Never had a problem and I highly recommend both the screws and Screwfix  :thumbsup:
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my latest Youtube video                          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<         
See a random video of mine                           >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<         
Another random video of mine                       >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<

Offline mickeyflinn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21893
    • Awards
« Reply #2555 on: January 28, 2022, 12:29:43 PM »
We're quite lucky where we live, as we've got 2 independent timber merchants within a 15 minute drive from us. Generally use them for wood, screws, glue, etc and they're often cheaper and always top quality. Also, if we need timber, its all loose and cut to different lengths so we can pick and choose our own.

Have found it best to always compare the prices at B&Q and Screwfix, as although Screwfix is generally cheaper, sometimes B&Q is for exactly the same thing.

If I'm going to Screwfix, I always check Toolstation too as the nearest ones to us are next door to one another.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #2556 on: January 28, 2022, 03:44:19 PM »
I like Screwfix because I can order on line and get a text telling me when my order is ready to collect. They are 5 mins drive away.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2557 on: January 30, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »
Not hugely unhappy but a little annoyed with the Post Office. They put a card through the door on Friday to say I have a small package  :goggleeyes: and the sender has underpaid the postage. Not a huge problem except that I now have to go to the delivery office, pay 80p to park to collect it and then £1.50 to retrieve it. It may be that I don't want it but I don't know that until I see where it has come from. Why can't they put something on the card they left to say where it is from. And another thing, they say they will keep it for I think 18 days or something and then send it back to the sender. If they're happy to incur their own costs to do that then on a small value item why does it cost me £1.50 to retrieve it when I'm saving them the cost of returning it? I don't even know what it is, where it's from or if I even want it  :hmmm:
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

Offline Bob Tidbury

• N Gauge Society Number: 2200
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2558 on: January 30, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Trainfish .
Are you sure its a genuine Post Office card ?
There is a scam going  around asking to pay  extra postage on line .
Bob Tidbury

guest311

« Reply #2559 on: January 30, 2022, 02:43:32 PM »
there is also the official RM scam where they charge you £8 to do all the work yourself on line to collect a couple of £s as customs duty....

so...
your parcel gets delayed....
YOU have to do all their work to pay a few pounds to HMC&E ...

and RRM charge you £8 for the privilage, as an 'ADMIN CHARGE' for which they do nothing as far as I can see.

@Trainfish, if you are not expecting a parcel, and have no idea who it is from, I'd be inclined to let RM pay to send it back.

had one of these a year or so ago, so on top of everything else reduced sorting office times to collect, wasn't expecting a parcel, and when I got there didn't recognise the sender address.

"nothing to do with me mate, send it back !"
"you can't do that, you have to pay the charge !"

yeah, right. exit stage left, and never heard any more about it.

probably went in the bin with any other 'return to sender' mail.

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2560 on: January 30, 2022, 02:54:50 PM »
Trainfish .
Are you sure its a genuine Post Office card ?
There is a scam going  around asking to pay  extra postage on line .
Bob Tidbury

Definitely a genuine card as I saw her put it through the letterbox. @class37025 will tell you that when my postlady visits you always remember  :heart:

I will go and check some time to see if it has a sender's name on it. I'm in no rush though.
John

<*))))><

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: xxxxx
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #2561 on: January 30, 2022, 03:11:51 PM »
there is also the official RM scam where they charge you £8 to do all the work yourself on line to collect a couple of £s as customs duty....

so...
your parcel gets delayed....
YOU have to do all their work to pay a few pounds to HMC&E ...

and RRM charge you £8 for the privilage, as an 'ADMIN CHARGE' for which they do nothing as far as I can see.

Sorry but utter tosh. RM have to have whole departments to deal with imported parcels which they have to pay for themselves. They also handle far more than other carriers as they have the Universal License yet charge less than many of the others.
So they have to pay for dedicated departments and then have to collect the customs charge on behalf of HMRC rather than HMRC doing it themselves. Oh, and to speed up the process for the customer RM pay the HMRC in advance of you paying so the parcel is released more quickly and then, of course, lose money when the customer decides not to pay.
Have a read here as to the process so you can have some facts before ranting: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7208/~/help-with-paying-customs-fees#:~:text=For%20items%20sent%20through%20the,item%20as%20quickly%20as%20possible.&text=This%20shows%20how%20much%20you,our%20%C2%A38%20handling%20fee.

guest311

« Reply #2562 on: January 30, 2022, 03:42:37 PM »
 :-[ :sorrysign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2563 on: January 30, 2022, 10:07:21 PM »
Meanwhile, back on the subject of screws............
Sadly my supply of 200 x 2.5mm x 12mm pozi screws is fast running out. The ones I have were bought from B & Q a couple of years back and the reference is 'Rapidrive' with a label stating 'Code: AVF-857669.
There is no manufacturer shown on the box - just 'specially made for B & Q'
I've searched the net and the only source found is Amazon but they are cheap looking zinc thingies which include a drill bit (no bad thing)
It seems no one stocks such a thing anymore. I've checked B & Q, Screwfix and Toolstation but they all start at 3mm
I've found these screws incredibly useful in holding code 55 track in place while I work on relaying the layout and also in fixing Seep point motors to 15mm stripwood.
Total shot in the dark but should anyone see any residual packs in B & Q please buy them for me and I'll pay gladly.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:55:24 AM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £102.34
Above Goal: £42.34
Site Currency: GBP
171%