!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype!  (Read 82215 times)

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Re: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype at TINGs!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »

You have to take it as granted in this business that Dapol, Bachmann or the N Gauge Society will duplicate any kit you produce and basically kill it off. Build it into your pricing model because it happens  :'(

True, but I only make the observation as Bachmann have already produced one in 00. That said, it may be ages before one turns up.

It does look an interesting project of a desirable prototype...I may even be tempted into one myself!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »
Yes, there is a risk that Bachmann may 'downsize' their 00 model, but then again, it may never happen?!  If the sales are good for us then they might decide to make the model in n gauge......so maybe I'll keep it a secret!!!! :smiley-laughing:

Offline bees

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »
This looks awesome, Tank, unfortunately not prototypical of my era, but S.W.M.B.O. might let me have one, nonetheless!!!

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline kingmoor12A

• N Gauge Society Number: 18044
    • The Border Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
About bloomin time this arrived on the scene,

Where does one sign up for it?

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
About bloomin time this arrived on the scene,

Where does one sign up for it?

I'll keep you posted, but also keep your eyes peeled on this thread.  ;)

Here is an update to the questions I answered previously from one of the developers:-

MPV Mk1 made it to the show today and was on Bob & Adams stand till 3pm - many thanks to them both for hosting it.

Quite a few questions on this thread - see if I can add some detail....

serious question : when you say interchangable modules, are you looking to produce it with one set of modules and the 'empty' floor, and then have other modules available seperately for other tasks, or have it with all modules in the one set [does that make sense ?]
At the moment there is a full set of modules and empty floor units for weedkiller and sandite formations designed and ready to print as seperate items - all seperate parts for you to arrange as you like or as they are used for real. If you can find other modules used in the UK then send in a link.

Is it going to be heavy enough as is or are you expecting to need additional weights ?
the motor bogie we have used is....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120890929043
its seems a bit tempermental on pure DC (start&stoping is a bit abrupt but runs nice once started) but surprisingly quite reasonable on a pulse based controller eg KPC etc - certainly better than some of the roling stock in use at TINGS today. Iv added a tiny bit of extra weight in the chassis and made up a support for the front part of the bogie to get the required down force on the only driven axle.
One problem and its a big one - it seems to have vanished - if you can find one and want to use it then a chassis and modules can be provided. Remember its a kit not RTR and wil need some skill to assemble and perfect - and a lick of paint.

They look truly awesome! Where will i be able to buy them? I rather fancy a pair!
Its going to be marketed through the NGF and only here as an NGF exclusive - fine detial to be arranged.

One question, is there not a major risk Bachmann will replicate their offering in N gauge in the near future?
Quite possible - but they have to identify the need and then engineer a solution just like were doing except a much bigger batch size to make it practical and ecconomical. If they choose to hide the motor under the tank as per the OO one then that may work. if they go for the bogie in cab version they can have as much fun as us trying to fit it in - maybe the new coreless motor as a motor bogie?

Hope that has filled in all the gaps.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 07:46:17 pm »
The Pro-Hobby units were released in 2007-10. 1999.co.jp have a few complete locos using them left but that's about it that I know of. They released a batch of chassis only in early 2011 but those have all sold out it seems.

Their new series was supposed to be a 2011 release but is 'delayed'. This is a different chassis (its an insanely small steam loco chassis and I can't wait to get my paws on one!)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10073168a/20/1

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:14 pm »
Not my era at all, but the CADs look great and I hope it is a big success.

I guess my only question is out of interest and concern for reliable pickup- Will there be a power bogie in each vehicle and if "yes" will it be intended wire them together ensure the model doesn't get "gapped" on points etc?

Regards

Roy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
http://www.prohobby.sakura.ne.jp/icom-hp-data/top-page/TopPage-01.html

is Pro Hobby itself if we've got a Japanese reader on the forum...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »
Not my era at all, but the CADs look great and I hope it is a big success.

I guess my only question is out of interest and concern for reliable pickup- Will there be a power bogie in each vehicle and if "yes" will it be intended wire them together ensure the model doesn't get "gapped" on points etc?

Regards

Roy

Remember that this is going to be in 'kit form', so if the user wishes to connect the motorised chassis to the other bogie of the unit, or to go as far as to connect both motorised chassis, then it's up to them.  ;)  :D  I think that it would be a wise choice to do that though, but not essential.

The Pro-Hobby units were released in 2007-10. 1999.co.jp have a few complete locos using them left but that's about it that I know of. They released a batch of chassis only in early 2011 but those have all sold out it seems.

Their new series was supposed to be a 2011 release but is 'delayed'. This is a different chassis (its an insanely small steam loco chassis and I can't wait to get my paws on one!)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10073168a/20/1

Many thanks for the information EtchedPixels.  I've messaged PlazaJapan on eBay, so I'll see what they say and go from there. :worried:

Offline MacRat

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »
...serious question : when you say interchangable modules, are you looking to produce it with one set of modules and the 'empty' floor, and then have other modules available seperately for other tasks, or have it with all modules in the one set [does that make sense ?]
At the moment there is a full set of modules and empty floor units for weedkiller and sandite formations designed and ready to print as seperate items - all seperate parts for you to arrange as you like or as they are used for real. If you can find other modules used in the UK then send in a link.

Is it going to be heavy enough as is or are you expecting to need additional weights ?
the motor bogie we have used is....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120890929043
its seems a bit tempermental on pure DC (start&stoping is a bit abrupt but runs nice once started) but surprisingly quite reasonable on a pulse based controller eg KPC etc - certainly better than some of the roling stock in use at TINGS today. Iv added a tiny bit of extra weight in the chassis and made up a support for the front part of the bogie to get the required down force on the only driven axle.
One problem and its a big one - it seems to have vanished - if you can find one and want to use it then a chassis and modules can be provided. Remember its a kit not RTR and wil need some skill to assemble and perfect - and a lick of paint.

I welcome this development.
Further questions; Will the very fine parts like railings be printed or provided as etched parts, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5153-nr-mpvs/#entry504752 ?

A further possible module would be the timber box as in this picture http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5153-nr-mpvs/#entry505319 . Would the motorised boogie be powerful enough to haul 7 OTAs?

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »
I have a couple of the Pro Hobby critters, and whilst nice little models (albeit a little oversized), they are a little cranky at slow speed. These are a couple of years old and improvements have been made, but how do these little motors fair at slow speed now?

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »
I welcome this development.
Further questions; Will the very fine parts like railings be printed or provided as etched parts, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5153-nr-mpvs/#entry504752 ?

A further possible module would be the timber box as in this picture http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5153-nr-mpvs/#entry505319 . Would the motorised boogie be powerful enough to haul 7 OTAs?

Many thanks MacRat.  Yes, Bernard @ TPM is kindly sorting the handrails out for us.

I'll mention to the developer about the timber box version.  There will be a motor in each cab, so I should think that would power the 7 OTA's.  We'll have a testing stage before promising that though!  :)

I have a couple of the Pro Hobby critters, and whilst nice little models (albeit a little oversized), they are a little cranky at slow speed. These are a couple of years old and improvements have been made, but how do these little motors fair at slow speed now?

Appreciate the feedback about the motors....I hope they've improved!  ;D  Again, this will be seen in the testing.  I haven't got one myself, but one of the developers has (which would have been seen at TINGs today).

Offline MacRat

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »
Many thanks MacRat.  Yes, Bernard @ TPM is kindly sorting the handrails out for us.

I'll mention to the developer about the timber box version.  There will be a motor in each cab, so I should think that would power the 7 OTA's.  We'll have a testing stage before promising that though!  :)
Thanks Tank
Now I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »
you say it will have a powered bogie in each chassis, but will it be possible to replace one with a dummy bogie, or should someone want to run a pair of pairs, replace two powered bogies with dummy ones. I assume it would need a blank to fit into the cutout for the powered bogie, with the mounting for the dummy one ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:08:06 pm by class37025 »
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 09:06:36 pm »
 Just wanted to say that the CAD design looks excellent, and the whole project is testament that the N Gauge Forum is going from strength to strength. I really hope that Bachmann chose not to down size their 00 offering with the view that this model kit fills the gap, sells out and goes from strength to strength.
The first of many N Gauge Forum kits one hopes....

Great stuff Tank and co, and I wish you every success with the MPV.
 :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here