!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGF MPV - Instructions.  (Read 4600 times)

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
NGF MPV - Instructions.
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »
MPV Kit - Instructions

Here is a break down of what you will be buying from the NGF, and a list of what else you will need to complete your shopping list.

The kit contains:-
* Pair of MPV chassis.
* Pair of cabs.
* Modules.
* Driveshaft.
* Side frames for bogies.
* Buffers.
* Etches for the windows.

What you will need to buy yourself if you haven't already:-
* TM-03 or TM-04 motorised chassis.
* Kato 11-030 bogies (one pair needed per kit).
* Primer and paints.
* High quality decals designed for this model are available from Precision Decals here - http://www.precisionlabels.com/payment.html?11.25&2mm-MPV-Decals-Revised (these include Railtrack and Network Rail liveries for the different modules).

Here are the packets that you will receive from us:

Make sure that you give all of the components a good clean before you start any painting.  The 3D prints will be covered in a wax type residue that must be removed.  I have found that a soak in white spirit and a scrub with an old toothbrush is best, but other methods can be used.

Spray your 3D prints with a good quality ACRYLIC primer (not enamel).  Once dry you may wish to use a metal file to carefully hide any print lines that show up.  Many members use Halfords grey car primer, but I have used Hycote Grey Primer - purely as you can buy it on a well known auction site.  ;)

The buffers are glued into place on the chassis and are to be sprayed black, along with the chassis.  The Kato bogies are easy to place on the chassis, and simply use the screw provided to secure them.

The motor is taken from the TM03 or TM04 chassis that you purchased.  You will need to remove the plastic surrounding it until it looks like in the picture below.  There will be two tabs left on it to which you connect the wiring.

You will need to remove the bogies from the TM chassis.  The non geared bogie is easy to remove, with the geared one being trickier.  I found that taking it apart was the best way to remove it.  You will then need to put the bogies on the 'cab ends' of the MPV chassis.

You will find a 3D printed driveshaft which will go between the motor and the geared bogie from the TM03 or TM04 chassis.  It should end up looking like the picture above (this also shows a DCC connector for a decoder).  Wiring is simple with only 2 wires!

Etches for the windows etc.  I sprayed mine without primer using Hycote Matt Black:

MPV Plans, showing where the modules go, and also the handrails:
Top - Sandite
Bottom - Weedkiller

Top - Log Carrier
Bottom - Handrails

Model minus handrails and decals.

Decals

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:22:05 pm by Tank »

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: NGF MPV - Instructions.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:06:40 pm »
Apologies for the terrible way that these have been set out.  If anyone has better photo's or wishes to make the instructions better in any way then there will be no offence taken.  :)

Offline bridgiesimon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:31:35 pm »
Rather good start, am well impressed!!
Simon

Offline ricboo

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:24:15 pm »
Looks really good, I like the instructions as I would struggle to do this without. I am still considering one - must get saving

Offline RussellH

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
Hi Guys

Out of interest, is anyone waiting to purchase but hasn't as they cant find a suitable chassis?

Reply to the thread or PM me if you like.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
http://www.bridgeburygate.co.uk/

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
Hi Guys

Out of interest, is anyone waiting to purchase but hasn't as they cant find a suitable chassis?

Regards
Russ

Hi Russ
Not exactly.....but.
I've been prompted to post since I noticed the advert and I've obviously missed the thread and whatever other notices that have been posted about this project. I may well be interested.
However, I have in my possession one of the excellent modern image models Plasser 09 tamper. I've had it a while and was hoping to start the construction soon, but I am really struggling to find the recommended TM 04. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.
And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline RussellH

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »
Hi Kirky,

It took me some time to do a work around for the mpv and I can supply the parts for motorising direct with the mpv kit if required - at cost. Hopefully we dont run into this problem again which seemed to happen just as we started using the TM03 and 04.

I'd be tempted in the first instance to contact BMTHtrains and ask his advice as its his kit - meantime PM sent....

Regards
Russ

Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Offline mickd247

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:23 am »
Hello Russ

Hi Guys

Regards
Russ

I am looking to buy the MPV Weedkiller version, (hopefully it may be my Christmas present :claphappy:) but have had no luck in finding either a TM03 or TM04 chassis.  I spoke to the guy from Osborn's whilst at TINGS and he could not advise when the TM03 might be back in stock, the TM04 they do not even list on their web site!

If you have an alternative chassis and motor available I would be very interested in purchasing these from you.

Mick

Offline pressburger1

• N Gauge Society Number: 18526
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »
where do i purchase a kit of the mpv and how much

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 03:04:51 pm »
Hello,

If you click on the N'porium button then you'll see it in the NGF Shop. :thumbsup:

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 11:18:11 pm »
Hello Russ

Hi Guys

Regards
Russ

I am looking to buy the MPV Weedkiller version, (hopefully it may be my Christmas present :claphappy:) but have had no luck in finding either a TM03 or TM04 chassis.  I spoke to the guy from Osborn's whilst at TINGS and he could not advise when the TM03 might be back in stock, the TM04 they do not even list on their web site!

If you have an alternative chassis and motor available I would be very interested in purchasing these from you.

Mick

My last two TM4's came from Spain and Australia.  they are still out there but getting scarce.  Price was about the same, postage was not much more that the high P&P some UK retailers charge, and I was able to pay with PayPal.

Offline TheStig

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:42:21 am »
Can anyone tell me what colour grey they used for the bits behind the cab?

Offline Farmer chap

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »
Hi Stig,

I used Phoenix precision in DB Shenker grey (p336), also used this on all the tanks etc.

Regards Ian.

Offline RussellH

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 05:23:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

Heard that rumours are spreading you cant get chassis for this kit and we ought to do a new chassis - old news - the TMO3 and TM04 haven't surfaced for quite some time BUT if you need a chassis for any of the MPV kits we designed just contact me via pm - I usually have stocks of the required parts to motorise the kit. Dont worry - its all supplied at cost BUT only to match a shapeways order for an MPV.

This offer is and will remain valid while this message is displayed.

Regards
Russ

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything