!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix LMS 0-6-0 Dock Shunter Tank  (Read 5267 times)

Offline E Pinniger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Minitrix LMS 0-6-0 Dock Shunter Tank
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »

Until Dapol and BachFar, this must have easily been the best performing and most reliable small 0-6-0 available in N. Even 35+ years later, most still run very smoothly and reliably (and aren't too hard to repair and maintain). It's a shame Minitrix never produced any other small British locos in N!
It has a surprisingly large amount of tractive power for such a tiny model (it can out-pull much larger locos by lesser manufacturers!) and has no problem dealing with large trains and/or steep gradients; its small wheelbase (the shortest of any RTR N gauge loco?) means it can deal with the sharpest of curves (well within 9" radius.

The loco's one big drawback is the completely non-scale simplified valve gear. From the red wheels, I'd guess that (like numerous other Minitrix British locos) it reuses a Continental 0-6-0 chassis. To be fair, the prototype's valve gear is horrendously complicated and even the likes of Dapol might struggle to make a scale working version. Another (not too hard to fix) issue is the large hole in the top of the dome, for the screw holding the body in place.

As far as I know, this model was only available in BR black with late logo, as shown in the photo. I don't think they ever made one in LMS livery? 

(Apologies for the uninspired photo and poor cosmetic condition of the loco shown - does anyone have a better one, with original box or otherwise?)

Offline davieb

• Awards
Re: Minitrix LMS 0-6-0 Dock Shunter Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »
hi there  :wave:

i bought one last week  :)

it's a great little runner even down to a crawl  :thumbsup:
the only problem i have found it does not like the double slip on my layout  :-\
but as there wont be one on the layout it is to be run on then this doesn't matter   ???

i will try to get a  :camera:  later as at the moment it looks a bit different from the original  :o

viewer discretion advised  :-[

the body has to come off later on to go to the paint shop, so i will get a  :camera: complete with the original box  ::)

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline buckle247

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:58 pm »
Mines not in too bad nick. Cardboard cover is ok, although the polystyrene is a dropping to bits. Like said it is a great runner and very reliable, probably should have cleaned it before photos!

Sorry about the lens flare, not sure why its doing it. Never had the problem before but struggling with it on this.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:43:57 pm by buckle247 »

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:26:30 pm »
i have one in pretty good nick and it is a great runner to! been thinking about converting it to LMS

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
The later ones had black wheels. The chassis is indeed from one of the little German locos they did.

There were several kits for this chassis that made some fun little N loco models

The ones  I know of are tiny little pannier tank (1366), a GCR 5A (two versions it seems), a Caledonian 498 class, an 03, an 04 (one white metal 04 kit, one etched). I imagine there are probably a few more as well.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:38:48 am »
I am thinking of buying one of these little locos this Saturday, my mate has one for sale. will most likely paint it light blue for Thomas Days on my preserved railway layout.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline E Pinniger

• N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »

That looks really nice - what kit and (forgive my ignorance, I'm fairly new to standard-gauge railway modelling) prototype is it?

I have two Minitrix dock shunters (wasn't intending to buy another, but I got the second in a lot with another loco) and was intending to paint one in weathered BR black, and another in a freelance scheme (possibly dark blue) for my light railway branch. However, if there are replacement body kits for this chassis, I'd be interested in buying one. Are any still available?

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

That looks really nice - what kit and (forgive my ignorance, I'm fairly new to standard-gauge railway modelling) prototype is it?

I have two Minitrix dock shunters (wasn't intending to buy another, but I got the second in a lot with another loco) and was intending to paint one in weathered BR black, and another in a freelance scheme (possibly dark blue) for my light railway branch. However, if there are replacement body kits for this chassis, I'd be interested in buying one. Are any still available?

the body is actually a 009 scale GEM Varikit
it's just a freelance narrowgauge loco  :o

it is for a small 009 layout i am building for my father  ::)

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
These are prone to heavy chassis wear in time at the rear end - if they waddle (particularly running in reverse IIRC) then the chassis is probably worn out. It's due to the motor mounting position I think such that it puts a fair amount of upward force on the rear axle when spinning which gradually knackers the chassis. They should be kept well lubricated to slow the onset of this.

The body is really rather nice - I've often wondered about finding a better chassis to fit under it - not sure if any of the DB BR80s made by Minitrix, Fleischmann etc would do the job.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
With these the first place that wears is the keeper plate; too much slack and the gears tend to jam. This can be repaired using solder, but it will need renewing when it wears again.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:20:08 am »
A firm favoutite of mine, certainly. I used to live at Granton Harbour, Edinburgh, and recently found this 1955 picture of the prototype in action at http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_-_railways_north_ed.htm

Mike

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here