!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chetcombe - West Dorset in the late 1960s and early 1970s  (Read 98775 times)

Offline Chetcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Chetcombe - West Dorset in the late 1960s and early 1070s
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »
Oops. I have just realized that I have set my layout in Norman times...

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 12:42:16 am »
Here is a second video of Chetcombe, showing a series of bridges "north" of Chetcombe station.

http://youtu.be/BBoF2EHyuQs

A single track branch line leaves Chetcombe station, immediately going under a girder bridge carrying the double track main line over both the Chetcombe branch and an, as yet, unamed river. The branch line then follows the river for a short distance before crossing it via a small girder bridge, finally heading off under a viaduct. Rather unprototypically, this viaduct carries the main line back over the river a relatively short way down from the girder bridge. This would have been a totally unnecessary and ridiculously expensive routing for the mainline, but I am quite pleased with the effect of the two bridges...

The layout concept was for 3 continuous loops, emphasizing sweeping curves and allowing for the running of realistic length trains. I hope the video conveys a sense of this.

The scenery around the bridges isn't complete and has some ways to go. The hills are made from strips of cardboard, hot glued over balls of crushed newspaper. These were then covered in plaster bandages before having a layer of spackle applied to smooth things off a bit (from memory the nearest English equivalent of spackle is 'Polyfilla'). This would be a prohibitively heavy solution for a portable layout - thankfully Chetcombe isn't going anywhere. As of now the hills have been painted with flat brown interior paint and a layer of Woodland Scenics fine turf aded whilst the paint was wet. Bushes, trees, hedgerows and a farm still to go in!

The river has been a bit of a saga though and I am still not happy with the final effect. The river bed was crafted from (a lot of) spackle, the riverbed was then painted with burnt umber acrylic, plus a bit of green and blue here and there. Ialso painted some rocky areas with Woodland Scenics Earth tones - I am quite pleased with how the rocks have turned ou. tI then added some grey painted aquarium pebbles and a few twigs to the river bed before using Woodland Scenics Realistic Water for the river itself. Unfortunately, I forgot that rivers are supposed to run downhill. Most of mine did, but not all - there was an uphill section by the girder bridge... The only way to raise the water level was to add more layers of Realistic Water - a slow (and expensive!) procedure which is still not completed. Those with sharp eyes will notice that the water under the viaduct has a slightly milky color - another layer of realistic water hasn't fully dried yet. Any suggestions welcome for enhancements to the river are most welcome!

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome

Mike

Offline galway

• N Gauge Society Number: 21458
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 07:16:58 pm »
Excellent Video :camera: love the feel of continuous movement  :thumbsup:

as yet, unamed river.

How about the River Chet?
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »
Cracking film, Mike :thumbsup:
Apart from the excellent scenery, those hydraulics are very close to my heart. I bet you'll be getting the Dapol class 22 when it comes out ;)

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 09:19:26 pm »
Lovely video, great trains and first class scenery all go to make a great layout  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
Lovely video, great trains and first class scenery all go to make a great layout  :thumbsup:
Totally agree with what Dave said  :)

Marty

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 12:52:04 am »
as yet, unamed river.

How about the River Chet?
[/quote]

I like it! River Chet it is!!!

Mike

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:51 am »
Cracking film, Mike :thumbsup:
 I bet you'll be getting the Dapol class 22 when it comes out ;)

Certainly will, I like the look of those 22s. Same goes for the new Westerns, although I am getting frustrated by how long Dapol are taking to get them released! I have a Farish Western, but it really shows its age compared to the Warships and Hymeks.

Mike

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:19 am »
 :envy: Great looking layout has a bit of Somerset and Dorset what might have been about it.

Interested is that a backscene with the church and town ?. If so where did you find it ?.

Looking forward to more
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:19 am »
This is a lovely layout and captures West Dorset extremely well
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 11:14:49 am »
Great looking layout, v nice video. :thumbsup:
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »
Excelent scenery well video'd, I can imagine my steamers running around there! Well done  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »

Interested is that a backscene with the church and town ?. If so where did you find it ?.

Hi Jerry

The backscenes are from Gaugemaster. The one with the church is called 'small pretty English town backscene'. I found this pretty funny because the church looks suspiciously German to me! But you have to look very closely to see this and have a critical eye as well! I placed it here because it actually has a river running at the bottom of the picture, which I tried to blend into the landscape. I like the concept of using photo type back scenes - the only criticism is that they are much harder to mix and match than say the Peco ones. The paintbrush has had to be used to disguise the breaks. Here is a link:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM758&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster%20GM758

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
The pictures in this post show the progress of one end of the layout from October last year through to now. This portion of the layout was the first to have track laid, the first to be ballasted, the first to be fully wired, have scenery put in etc etc. As such is has become a learning zone; the setting for a few successes as well as a lot of mistakes!

October 22nd 2011: Track laying just started. On the left is the main line, to the right is the branch line. The branch exits a covered section (accessible by removing a fascia board which runs along the side of the layout) and then curves 180degrees before entering the station. The cut out channel in the middle is the future site of a river. Looking back, I wish I had used large radius Peco points rather than the medium radius I selected!

By January 6th 2012: taken from the opposite direction, the track has now been laid and a lot of time spent wiring the points. I used Peco point motors placed under the baseboard. The hardboard for the back scene has just been fitted and the lonely tunnel mouth shows the future location of a hidden section.

January 8th - the foundations for the town are being laid. I have to admit that the town was designed around the available buildings rather than from a master plan. The wires are part of the lighting bus.

By January 19th some scenery is taking shape. I used cardboard strips covered with plaster bandages. The station platforms have also been constructed.

A similar view on March 11th. A vaguely earthy color has been applied and the town buildings have been placed in their final positions.

By May 11th the river bed is taking shape.

June 16th - I have started to add bushes and trees.

Finally a few pictures from earlier this month. this small section is now almost complete, just a few details to add.

This photo shows the upper portion of the town in more detail. The buildings here are weathered Metcalfe card kits, the majority of which are lit. The tracks are the 'main line' which actually does not stop in Chetcombe, merely passing by on a hill above the town. This was the first section of track I ever laid. The branch line through Chetcombe is hidden under the back yards of the nearest row of cottages, then curving under the pub and the church before exiting the tunnel.

The branch line between Chetcombe station and the tunnel.

A close up of Chetcombe station.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »
Super work, Mike :thumbsup:
It's great to see how the layout has evolved :)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here