!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann GE 70T  (Read 452 times)

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
Bachmann GE 70T
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »

Bought this recently for a bargain price expecting it to be average at best... I could not have been more wrong ! This is a recent release from Bachmann that comes with DCC and is also DC compatible, it has lights and comes with Bachmanns own knuckle couplers which are a bit big... I had some spare Mchenry couplers which are a straight swap (as seen in the photo's).

The little switcher runs very well on both DC and DCC (no switch - self detecting) and was very quiet. Runs smoothly over Peco insulfrog points and will easily cope with a 9" radius. Haulage isn't great, about 5x 50' box cars on the level which isn't bad and not far off the real thing. The body work has fine detailing and very delicate handrails, so it needs to be carefully handled !

Overall - A great little switcher for bashing stock around in the yard, my only gripe is the steep RRP and the slightly oversize couplings.

My Rating - 9/10

My Layout - Black Sheep Lane (build by forum member 'Elvinley') Now owned by me - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4291.0

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann GE 70T
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:49:40 pm »
Nice little loco, from all reports the GE 40 and 70 tonners are Bachmann's best running locos.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
The 44T is next on my list, hopefully it will be just as good...
My Layout - Black Sheep Lane (build by forum member 'Elvinley') Now owned by me - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4291.0

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »
An excellent switcher. Could also be used on a UK layout, just like the company Yeoman use a GE switcher in one of their quarries albeit confined solely to the sidings as the difference in loading guage.

Great review BTW, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:47:27 am by OwL729, Reason: Typo »

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:56:44 pm »
I got very lucky on ebay, got it on auction for a shocking 26 + p&p !!!  :o :o :o
They usually sell between 40 - 60, i believe the RRP is 87 - A bit too much i think.

Mike

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:09:49 am »
Nice little loco there :)

Online red_death

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:12 am »
An excellent switcher. Could also be used on a UK layout, just like the company Yeoman use a GE switcher in one of their quarries albeit confined solely to the sidings as the difference in loading guage.

Sorry to be a pedant but the Yeoman (and Arc/Hanson) use a General Motors EMD SW1001 not a GE switcher and they are considerably heavier than 70T!  But you are right about the loading gauge as Hanson found out when its SW1001 tried to run away through Murder Coombe Tunnel - result: Tunnel 1 - Switcher cab roof 0

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £68.00
Above Goal: £13.00
Site Currency: GBP
124% 
September Donations