!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Proprietary chassis dimensions  (Read 209 times)

Offline FNC modelista

• Trade Count: (0)
Proprietary chassis dimensions
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:31:32 pm »
Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum so please excuse my posting in the wrong area.
I do NOT model N gauge, nor do I model to 2mm scale. I do model to 3mm Scale BUT my question is nothing to do with 3mm society.
I am modelling a prototype which runs on 36" (914 mm) gauge. Using N gauge track this equates to 1;100 scale. My Prototype: National Railways of Colombia (FNC).
I am using a 3D printer to produce bodies and various other items, with some degree of success.

My question, having Asked Jeeves, Yahooed and Googled, where can I find specs for proprietary N gauge chassis?

I am primarily looking for diesel chassis (namely B-B and C-C wheel layouts), be it Bachman, Farish, Lima, or whatever (especially if they are somewhat easily available on a well known auction site).  (Steam wheel arrangements will come later.)

I need to find out:

• Bogie axle spacing
    Bogie to bogie centres
    Wheel diam. over tread
    Footplate cutout dims (approx.) to accomodate relevant chassis
    Chassis overall length (excluding couplings)

I hope that this is not too much to ask. I am not willing to buy something first only to find out it is totally unsuitable for needs in hand.

Many thanks for your indulgence.

Tom

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Proprietary chassis dimensions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:21:24 pm »
Hi Tom

I may be wrong but I suspect you're unlikely to find comparative lists of that sort of chassis details unless someone's done it as a private labour of love for their own purposes.  N gauge chassis are not typically sold on their own, except from some of the Japanese suppliers eg. GreenMax

I remember a few years ago there was an attempt so set up a Yahoo group with this sort of information but it never really got off the ground.

You're probably better off coming at this from the other direction, eg. specify the ideal dimensions to suit what you plan to build and maybe folk can suggest possible close options?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:05:26 pm »
My question, having Asked Jeeves, Yahooed and Googled, where can I find specs for proprietary N gauge chassis?

I am primarily looking for diesel chassis (namely B-B and C-C wheel layouts), be it Bachman, Farish, Lima, or whatever (especially if they are somewhat easily available on a well known auction site).  (Steam wheel arrangements will come later.)

I need to find out:

• Bogie axle spacing
    Bogie to bogie centres
    Wheel diam. over tread
    Footplate cutout dims (approx.) to accomodate relevant chassis
    Chassis overall length (excluding couplings)

I hope that this is not too much to ask. I am not willing to buy something first only to find out it is totally unsuitable for needs in hand.

Many thanks for your indulgence.

Tom

Hello Tom,

You might just find this useful:
http://trainweb.org/tomix/ChassisDim.htm
...although it does only cover Japanese chassis (from Kato, Tomytec, etc.)

However, these chassis are typically available as a separate chassis (no body), which isn't generally possible with Farish or Dapol. I am just old enough to remember the day when Farish (Poole, UK) used to advertise spare chassis in their main catalogue... :(

I stumbled over the above weblink (possibly in its previous version) whilst exploring the possibility of finding a low-slung chassis as a basis for LT (London Transport) Tube stock. I settled on the Kato Shorty chassis (a short-length Bo-Bo), which could be stretched to make it long enough for LT Tube stock. I even bought a few, including some un-powered chassis.

However, I've only got as far as making a cardboard mock-up, or Engineering Prototype, if you will, which just about proves the concept. I just need to have the ‘cojones’ (excuse my level of Spanish), to cut the motorised chassis in half... and lengthen it to the correct prototypical length... One day, perhaps...?

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline FNC modelista

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:46:13 pm »
ntpntpntp

Thanks for the info. I do realise that my request is a tad up in the air.

"You're probably better off coming at this from the other direction, eg. specify the ideal dimensions to suit what you plan to build and maybe folk can suggest possible close options?"

Now that may be an approach. OK. let me try it this way:

Loco I'm currently working on is General Electric class U10B (applies to class U8B)
Dimensions given apply to the scale I am using (1:100)

Gauge: 9 mm (36")
Arrangement: B-B
Bogie axle centres: 21.8 mm (86")
Bogie centres: 80mm (315")
Wheel diam.: 9 mm (36")

Hope I get a response on a suitable N gauge diesel chassis.

Thanks
Tom

Offline FNC modelista

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:51:57 pm »
Hi Charles,
Thanks for that link for Tomix, but I've already looked at it and find it rather unsuitable for my needs.
I'm not too bothered about body chassis combos, but I do know that chassis are occasionally available on sites such as EBay, even if it says "spares or repair".
I'm always willing to have a go at making something go if it doesn't when I get my hansds on it.
Thanks again ,
Tom

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:34:43 pm »
Hi Tom,

well my collection is mostly European N from most of the major manufacturers.  My first thoughts are that's a long bogie centre for an N gauge loco, and 9mm wheels are very large for N diesels/electrics.  I've had a look through my main stock boxes and nothing I have in that lot really comes close.

I do have a few other bits and pieces.  About the nearest I can get from my collection is something like a Dapol British class 67, which seems to have:
bogie centres 79mm  (you want 80mm)
axle centres 19mm (you want 21.8mm)
wheel dia 7mm (you want 9mm)

There are larger wheels on some Japanese locos but they tend to have short axle centres.

Maybe some of our British or American outline modellers have ideas for you?

I wonder whether you might have some success looking for HOe narrow gauge models (Roco, Bemo or Liliput come to mind as mainstream manufacturers), some of these are likely to have larger wheels as they are physically larger scale models still running on 9mm gauge.

btw, you mentioned Lima in your first post - I'd stay don't bother with that brand. They used a cheap motor bogie for a long period of time, only moving over to a better can motor and gearing toward the end but were never a match for the mechanisms of the other major European brands.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline FNC modelista

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 05:08:50 pm »
Thanks for that info. However, like I said before I am modelling in 1:100 scale, so using N gauge track to represent 36" proprietary gauge, this works out to 3mm / foot. Hence the seemingly long wheel bases.
Unfortunately N.American N gauge is 1:160, so dimensions are smaller than my requirements.
Thanks again, will keep searching.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:29 pm »
...I am modelling in 1:100 scale, so using N gauge track to represent 36" proprietary gauge, this works out to 3mm / foot. Hence the seemingly long wheel bases...
Unfortunately N.American N gauge is 1:160, so dimensions are smaller than my requirements.
Ok but given that you're looking for chassis then the scale isn't such a large factor?  There could be an American outline chassis that get's near to the wheelbase etc. that you're looking for, but it's not something I'm knowledgeable about.

I mentioned also worth looking at HOe models, here's a Liliput D15 narrow gauge diesel.  Unfortunately I don't know the dimension details but it'll be larger than N gauge, will probably have larger wheels that might be closer to what you're looking for and of course still runs on 9mm track.   I have no idea what sort of price you might find such a model or chassis, if it were to be suitable?

Online Byegad

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:13:31 am »
Tomytec and Greenmax sell chassis. Depending on the seller on eBay you may well find the measurements you want.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:42 pm »
...I am modelling in 1:100 scale...this works out to 3mm / foot.

Which reminds me, there is also TT scale which although defunct as far as British model go, still exists to a small degree in Europe.  The track gauge is 12mm but I'm thinking if the chassis were close to the dimensions you want then you might be able to re-gauge the wheels to 9mm depending how the bogies are designed.

And of course there is also HOm scale which is another narrow gauge system running on 12mm gauge (representing metre gauge railways at around 1:87 scale), I believe some HOm locos are designed to be re-gauge-able to HOe/9mm?

Are the models you want to make significantly larger than typical N models?  Could they accommodate the larger HOe or even TT mechanisms I've mentioned?

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £35.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £46.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
131% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything