!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New member in U.K. Switching from OO to N  (Read 388 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New member in U.K. Switching from OO to N
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 12:47:04 am »
There may be other ways of doing this.
Eeeek ! I hope so !! Just plain eengleesh here ;-)

Ummm, let me see, how about :

Ah so ! it worked

I must save that'un ! Thanks.

Edit later : oh ho, what fun ↑
Edit laters : find some text with arrows or whatever, in it
⇟❀ヅ❤♫
highlight, copy and paste

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:35:28 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:07 am »
Hi David :wave: and welcome aboard. :wave:

A very fine and noble user name you have Sir. :admiration:

@IkBrunel
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:04 am »
Indeed! GW fan, presumably?  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 11:16:23 am »
Welcome
N gauge offers lots of different possibilities to OO. I think layout design is fundamentally different. Main differences for layout design I can think of on the spur of the moment:-
You can have a continuous run on a one piece baseboard and be able to reach the back of the layout from the front.
There is much more opportunity for scenic development.
Be aware that many N gauge steam outline locos struggle to pull much up gradients.
Some N gauge steam locos donít do well with Peco first radius curves or set track points.

Everything is a bit more fiddly and Track has to be laid very carefully to ensure it is smooth. The big up side for me is trains running through scenery in  a way that would take up huge space in larger scales. My fleet of circa 30 locos are all great runners, even the cat C one from Dapol.

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 11:35:29 am »
I had two OO gauge layouts, 1989 to 1992
Never had any problems, apart from one loco out of nearly forty

I built my first N gauge layout in 2006, but encountered all kinds of problems
There is the benefit of getting vastly more content in the same space, but it is at the compromise of detail and reliability

I salvaged some of that layout and started on my current one
This one has similar problems, along with new ones
I am almost at the stage of disposing of it

Based on this I would never swap from OO to N gauge ever again
OO gauge is so much easier to work with although it does mean less content but with greater detail

What sort of a bloody welcome is that?

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. Hope that hasn't put you off. I got put off the RMweb reading some of the things people said to newcomers but I like this place. It's great fun.

It was probably just jest, I dunno, sometimes I don't get the humour, but WELCOME anyway and hope you enjoy all the knowledge you can get from here.

Cheers weave  :beers:

I haven't totally given up my oo gauge. Still have them running round the edge of my loft but don't have any detailed layout. I'm starting a small 4x2 layout as a temporary layout so I can run some train until I get my main layout and baseboard set up.

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 11:37:45 am »
Hi David :wave: and welcome aboard. :wave:

A very fine and noble user name you have Sir. :admiration:

@IkBrunel

Thank you for the welcome. Brunel is my favourite engineer and a damn fine one at that!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
Welcome to N gauge, mate.  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 11:59:04 am »
Welcome Aboard, David

I think you have chosen a fantastic time to move into 'N' gauge.  In have just done so and have been very impressed by the diesel locomotives from both Graham Farish and Dapol, and the steam locomotives from Union Mills.  The rolling stock available is excellent.

I still have some H0/00, but the space I wish to devote to it is declining.

With all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:04 pm »
G'day from Australia, David, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
G'day mate. Where abouts in Australia are you located. I have family in Sydney and Adelaide. We have just visited this year from September-October.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 12:37:53 pm »
Thank you for the welcome. Brunel is my favourite engineer and a damn fine one at that!

I'd agree as a civil engineer; as a mechanical engineer I'd argue his legacy is a bit more open to debate!

OO gauge is so much easier to work with although it does mean less content but with greater detail

There is a valid point being made here, so I'm somewhat sympathetic to @MJKERR in what he says. I'm not even convinced N gauge necessarily saves space, because 'good' N gauge layouts are more about scenery than detail, and that means wide landscaping vistas and gently curved track -- so you end up with layouts much the same size as small to medium sized 00 layouts!

He's also right that British N at least does seem to be troubled with reliability problems in a way US or Japanese N isn't. Often/usually the problem is obvious 'right out of the box' and clearly comes down to economising on quality control, whether in assembly or the components used, so testing locos out at the shop, keeping receipts, and following up on warranty claims are all important. Once a loco is run-in, they usually seem okay for years and years. It's the first few weeks you want to be looking out for gravelling noises, flickering lights, off-centred wheels, and that sort of thing.

On the other hand, even N does provide opportunities that 00 doesn't unless you have massive amounts of space to work with. A modest layout, say, 6x4 feet, can be spectacular. N rolling stock is unproblematic. There are lots of nice kits out there, and because they're small, they're quite cheap. So you can do a lot of modelling and create some really dramatic or busy scenes that wouldn't be easy in the same amount of space in 00.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 12:44:02 pm »

I'd agree as a civil engineer; as a mechanical engineer I'd argue his legacy is a bit more open to debate!

There is a valid point being made here, so I'm somewhat sympathetic to @MJKERR in what he says. I'm not even convinced N gauge necessarily saves space, because 'good' N gauge layouts are more about scenery than detail, and that means wide landscaping vistas and gently curved track -- so you end up with layouts much the same size as small to medium sized 00 layouts!

He's also right that British N at least does seem to be troubled with reliability problems in a way US or Japanese N isn't. Often/usually the problem is obvious 'right out of the box' and clearly comes down to economising on quality control, whether in assembly or the components used, so testing locos out at the shop, keeping receipts, and following up on warranty claims are all important. Once a loco is run-in, they usually seem okay for years and years. It's the first few weeks you want to be looking out for gravelling noises, flickering lights, off-centred wheels, and that sort of thing.

On the other hand, even N does provide opportunities that 00 doesn't unless you have massive amounts of space to work with. A modest layout, say, 6x4 feet, can be spectacular. N rolling stock is unproblematic. There are lots of nice kits out there, and because they're small, they're quite cheap. So you can do a lot of modelling and create some really dramatic or busy scenes that wouldn't be easy in the same amount of space in 00.

Cheers, NeMo
your correct. His work wasn't without its set backs;)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 09:18:11 pm »
→ → → Press and hold Alt key and type 26

And welcome to the forum Mr. Brunel.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 09:45:10 pm »
→ → → Press and hold Alt key and type 26

Ta for that :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00