!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 29918 times)

Online Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #675 on: Yesterday at 11:12:59 am »
Hi Rod,

First, every sympathy for your situation - redundancy is not a pleasant process to be caught up in. I've been through it too many times - on both sides of the fence, as an employee, as a manager (more than once) and as a husband and as a parent. It's always a horribly difficult situation which is extremely hard to handle because of the emotions flowing around.

I'm a chartered accountant, not an HR professional, so I can't give you professional advice as such on this.  But daffy is absolutely right - CAB will be able to help you, or a trade union rep, or, ideally, a friendly HR manager if you or any of your family or friends know one. They can talk to your specific financial circumstances, contracts, rights, etc.

If you don't want to seek out one of these, I strongly recommend reading these pages on  gov.uk. They may answer your questions, point you in a helpful direction, or even set your mind at rest that you aren't being mistreated. Even if they just prepare you for a face-to-face chat they will be helpful.

It's impossible for me to know exactly, but FWIW this is my take on the issues that you have flagged up:
  • giving 30 days notice is not part of the legal rules, so I assume that it is the minimum notice period in your contract of employment. But, since you have worked in your job for over 2 years, you are legally entitled to more: one week for each year of service (to a maximum of 12 weeks). It sounds like someone didn't realise the details of your situation at first, which isn't ideal, to say the least. IMHO, it's inexcusable. :veryangry:
  • Many companies, perhaps most, don't actually require people to work this notice period out - they pay a PILON (Payment in Lieu of Notice) and release you, taking the view that long-faced employees hanging on with  their hearts not in the job are no help to anyone, and in certain circumstances can be actively damaging/dangerous. Yours isn't taking that route. But since they would probably prefer not to pay you, and you apparently would have preferred to go earlier, there may be room for a little give and take over this. But, but, but - take specific advice on the knock-on consequences if you go down that route.
  • you are entitled to "reasonable" time off for job hunting. But my understanding is that you are only entitled to be paid for a small amount of it. If you are on a five-day week, that is for just two days in total (40% of a week)  So if you took a day off each week for the 10 week period, you could be docked 8 days' pay (10 days - 2 days). Although he or she may have put it with all the tact of a runaway elephant, your contract manager may have been doing you a favour with their advice - if you go for interviews outside work time, you won't be docked pay.
Best of luck - this phase of tension, distrust and uncertainty over dates, entitlements and plans is the worst part emotionally speaking for most people, mainly because of the sense of not being in control of your life. It will pass, and you will emerge into the sunlit uplands of endless railway modelling...  :)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline jonclox

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: Yesterday at 03:52:16 pm »
Back at the biginninng of Feb. my wife slipped on the back path and ended up on her b*m  :(
She eventually got back indoors and came upstairs in tears of agony.
After a week of taking painkillers she eventually  drove  :doh: to the GPs.
Still taking prescribed tablets she is no better and still in agony if she tries to drive.
I think I shall have to call the doctor out to see her after the weekend
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #677 on: Yesterday at 05:50:27 pm »
Back at the biginninng of Feb. my wife slipped on the back path and ended up on her b*m  :(
She eventually got back indoors and came upstairs in tears of agony.
After a week of taking painkillers she eventually  drove  :doh: to the GPs.
Still taking prescribed tablets she is no better and still in agony if she tries to drive.
I think I shall have to call the doctor out to see her after the weekend
Worth trying an osteopath, Jon. I've not had much luck with GPs with my back. The osteopath has sorted me out a few times.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline jonclox

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #678 on: Yesterday at 08:59:22 pm »

Worth trying an osteopath, Jon. I've not had much luck with GPs with my back. The osteopath has sorted me out a few times.
Thanks Malc but as even getting in and out of a car is agony  Driving or even being a passenger in a car  is not going to be easy.
Ive just found one within 2 miles of us and will contact them on Monday
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #679 on: Yesterday at 10:08:07 pm »
Jon, if the pain is that bad I suggest A&E as soon as possible. Did the GP have the injury X-rayed? It could just be a trapped nerve or disc, but it might equally well be a fracture, and two days agony to wait for someone who might not be able to help will seem like a lifetime to your wife.

I would call an ambulance now if I were you if you have no other way of getting her to hospital. She should not drive herself.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:12:40 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: Today at 09:54:05 pm »
+1 to above. There is no point in suffering any longer than is necessary.
M y wife suffers too from reduction in lung capacity, a non specified lung disease. I don't know what it's called in English. She has been in hospital for a week for an op and strangely during that time she has used no oxygen nor taken any cortisone. Normally she has 2 to 3 hours a day on oxygen and a quarter to half a tablet of cortisone. I'm not suggesting you have an op :no: . I can give you details of the medications she has if you are interested. The latest have certainly improved her capacity.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £35.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £46.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
131% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything