!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The angry thread  (Read 413189 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: The angry thread
« Reply #5715 on: June 30, 2018, 09:33:15 am »
Gah, parents. Mine seem determined to come to Japan in autumn to see the Squidlet, which is understandable, however as both I and Mrs Squid have made clear to them twice, it's not practical at that time for a number of reasons, starting with the fact that some of us have a job and are not made of vacation.

So what do I wake up to - something to the effect "Hi, Airline X has a special offer on until Monday, we're comng for two weeks, if we can't stay with you we'll book somewhere nearby". Which is funny in itself, as there is nowhere "nearby" they can book. Gaah. :censored:

Whilst I can appreciate your frustration just remember that your parents are getting older and won't be around for ever so why not try and enjoy them while you have got them and let them have the pleasure of seeing Squidet for a couple of weeks.

Yes, I am fully aware of the passage of time and all that, but like I said, we have made it clear to them twice (well 3 times now) that that particular period is not practical and we will work something else out when it suits all parties (not just them).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #5716 on: June 30, 2018, 11:36:07 am »
Last year I came back to my car and the front bumper had been re-arranged. There was a note under the windscreen wiper but I didn't hold up much hope so imagine my surprise when it was someone owning up and leaving their phone number. I was still sceptical but a coupe of weeks later my car had been to the body shop, fully repaired and paid for in full by the note leaver. It doesn't help Mrs Bealman but there is still some hope for humanity :)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5717 on: June 30, 2018, 12:12:53 pm »
Cheers, mate.  :thumbsup:

Always good to hear good outcomes.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5718 on: June 30, 2018, 12:20:30 pm »
Someone left a note on Vals car once after a very minor scuff on the door .
It said someone saw me hit your car and they though I was leaving my name and address I didnít do it on purpose so tough luck.
Luckily we managed to T Cut it and polish the scuff out so it wasnít too bad.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5719 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:04 pm »

Yes, I am fully aware of the passage of time and all that, but like I said, we have made it clear to them twice (well 3 times now) that that particular period is not practical and we will work something else out when it suits all parties (not just them).

I agree that parents, as well as children, require training. Just as they trained us when we were kids. My Mum would run rings round me if I let her (and she still tries every now and then) but I just remind her of her training and all is well :)

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5720 on: July 05, 2018, 10:42:59 pm »
 :veryangry: Absolutely disgusting gutter reporting on BBC Newsnight right now. :veryangry: Looking into the background and lifestyle of one of the Amesbury Novichok victims. :veryangry: Utter gutter journalism. :veryangry:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #5721 on: July 07, 2018, 12:18:58 am »
Today for the second time I was able to watch via my video doorbell a parcel force delivery guy knock on the door glass ignore the message suggesting  placing the parcel in the secure Dropbox next to him and leave a card telling me to go to my local post office to collect the parcel. As he didnt ring the 3 inch by 2 inch doorbell all i had was the recording, had he rung the doorbell I could have spoken to him.

If I want to complain I can use an email link that is never answered or telephone one of their service advisors at a fee of £6.00. Rewarding incompetence or is it deliberate.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:20:39 am by Ian Bowden »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #5722 on: July 07, 2018, 06:46:25 am »
Sadly hit and runs are common on the Norfolk Broads as well. Many tourists seem to think because they have paid for insurance to cover accidents in the hire boats, they can just drive off.
What they don't realise is if they are drunk in charge or as is the case recently a case of "boat" rage causing deliberate damage, they are not covered.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5723 on: July 08, 2018, 04:31:38 pm »
On ITV4 I have frequently been confronted by adverts for the RSPCA or various other animal charities showing some fairly graphic footage of abused animals, particualrly dogs and donkeys. These now seem to be migrating to Channel 4 (seen during today's coverage of the F1) and they are broadcast with no warning whatsoever. Now, I find them quite upsetting but what about the effect this could have on kids? I dread to think.
Sorry, but I find this completely irresponsible broadcasting.
Rant over

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5724 on: July 08, 2018, 05:55:48 pm »

It must be successful getting more donations or they wouldn't do. I get letters through the post showing the same graphic details.

I hope they are successful, and have no issue with them being broadcast.

they are broadcast with no warning whatsoever.

This was the main point of my post.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5725 on: July 09, 2018, 08:52:04 pm »
I've got 89 points on Claywell and 81 of them are fitted with Seeps, 2 with Peco above board motors and just 6 with the Peco below board motors and I've just had the 3rd Peco fail out of the 6! 

Not one of the Seeps has failed just the  :censored: Peco ones and as usual always happen when you have visitors.  Regrettably where the Peco ones are fitted I have no choice but to fit the Peco clip on under point type otherwise I'd change them for Seeps.   :veryangry:   :veryangry:    :veryangry:

Offline Trainboy03

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #5726 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:54 pm »
I just want to take the corridors off of my Maunsell coaches and NOBODY can accept that I like the wide windows on one side and regular design, just without the gangways

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #5727 on: July 13, 2018, 05:42:17 am »
I just want to take the corridors off of my Maunsell coaches and NOBODY can accept that I like the wide windows on one side and regular design, just without the gangways

I think this is a case of "RULE ONE APPLIES"  It's your railway, run what YOU want.
Remind "Nobody" of that fact.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #5728 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:27 am »

To quote the Cambridge Dictionary:

"nobody
noun [ C ] UK ​  /ˈnəʊ.bə.di/ /ˈnəʊ.bɒd.i/ US ​  /ˈnoʊ.bɑː.di/

someone who is not important"

It follows therefore that those nobodies who decry your desire have no say in the matter, and as the immortal Bard did say:

"To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man"

Or, in short, to hell with what others think!
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #5729 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:41 pm »
Just learned today from my son (33) that he has lost buying the first rung on the property ladder.  The reason, his fiancee/long term partner doesn't have photo ID. 
They were buying the house together, but, because she doesn't have a driving license (doesn't drive) nor a passport (has never been abroad), apparently they can't get a joint mortgage, and because of house prices these days, his wage is not enough, and this is for a modest 2 bedroom terraced. Their "financial advisor" said that a birth certificate is no good any more for identification purposes, something to do with "money laundering". 
 WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO? ???
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything