!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.  (Read 564066 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2013, 11:36:57 pm »
Spent the day in London with the good lady wife, and while on Oxford Street, nipped into the 'Wheels of Steel' at Grays Antique Market (close to Bond Street tube station). I picked up a set of three SPA wagons (with loads) plus a single OCA wagon, all in EWS livery, for 25.

Jeff doesn't always have a lot of UK N-gauge stuff, though usually enough to make a visit worthwhile, but this time he had lots of good stuff. Lots of post-privatisation locos and EMUs (from 40 upwards); lots of wagons (from Big Four through to modern stuff, from 4 upwards); a bunch of almost new Farish coaches (maroon and chocolate/cream so far as I can tell); and almost a job-lot of Hornby Lyddle End buildings for around 6-12 a piece.

So this posting is as much a "heads up" as anything else. Definitely worth swinging by if you're in this part of London during the next week or two. The market is closed weekends, unfortunately.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2013, 11:40:37 pm »
You certainly got a bargain there NeMo  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:13 pm »
I've been past there loads of times and never even knew there was a market!  :doh:

Paul

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #588 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:37 pm »
Certainly a canny purchase. Those loads look good!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: June 01, 2013, 09:44:52 am »
Wheels of steel is the last train shop left in central London (MZ of Holborn is closed for redevelopment). I always pop in for a chat and a browse ( 2 mins from Bond St tube)

Always worth a visit as he has  a good turnover of stock and there is a nice cafe in the basement

( no cards so bring )

Nick R

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: June 01, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
Quite right Nick, should have mentioned that. Jeff also takes cheques though, so you don't have to carry around a fistful of notes!

You're right about London not having much by way of model shops anymore. Even including outer London there's not much. About the only one I've been to with a really decent range of N is Kent Garden Railways in St Mary Cray. Am I missing any others of note?

Cheers, NeMo

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:49 am »
I can still remember Beatties being the place to go.

Their old premises was taken over by Modelzone and has closed down, but they are re-opening in New Oxford Street this weekend according to the website.

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
Hi all

Got a Dapol Class 27 after Christmas and finally got some suitable wagons for it last weekend got a wee bonus from work so got a couple of OBA's train as modelled in my Strathore Yard layout could be going to the MOD depot at Roysth or Crombie

Kind Regards

Dave

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2013, 11:34:40 pm »
That's a nice looking loco.

George

Offline portland-docks

• N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #594 on: June 02, 2013, 11:31:43 am »
I've received back from Douglas Stewart at Wickness (http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk/) my Black 5 and Hall that he was converting to DCC sound. I'm well chuffed (sorry about that!) with the final result.

Douglas always posts a video of the converted loco for his customers to view before final payment which is a nice touch..

Black 5 Graham Farish Black 5 DCC Sound Conversion
Hall Dapol Hall Class DCC Sound Conversion

I've already got one of his Warship conversions, just need to decide what to send him next month!

Cheers
Nick

Whats the cost to convert your locos?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline bigbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24013
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: June 02, 2013, 12:52:51 pm »
Just bought this job lot, few bits i will keep for mine, will probably break the track up depending on what its like then sell off what i don`t need.

Offline Gooner1953

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: June 02, 2013, 01:23:43 pm »
I've received back from Douglas Stewart at Wickness (http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk/) my Black 5 and Hall that he was converting to DCC sound. I'm well chuffed (sorry about that!) with the final result.

Douglas always posts a video of the converted loco for his customers to view before final payment which is a nice touch..

Black 5 Graham Farish Black 5 DCC Sound Conversion
Hall Dapol Hall Class DCC Sound Conversion

I've already got one of his Warship conversions, just need to decide what to send him next month!

Cheers
Nick

Whats the cost to convert your locos?

It varies from depending on the loco. The variable bit is really down to the cost of labour. For instance the cost of the Black 5 can be broken down into decoder/sound file cost of 105 (Loksound V4) which is about the norm. Labour costs came to 70, higher than usual because, as Douglas put it, it was a 'Bit of a bugger to convert ..'. The the fitting of the decoder was straightforward but Douglas then had to spend a lot of time tweaking the pickup system. The problem you have with sound decoders is that you really do need uninterruptable power. Douglas tweaked the pickups and then hard-wired the loco pickups back to the tender as the connection was very poor.

The Hall cost circa 105 for the decoder and sound file (Zimo in this one) whilst labour costs came to 60. The installation was a bit more straightforward and the pickups were a lot better than the Black 5.

Overall I think that Douglas at Wickness charges a fair price, particularly considering the amount of work he does fettling pickups etc. On the Black 5 he also tweaked it to get rid of the traction tyres and thus improve pickup.

Both the Black 5 and the Dapol Hall were brand new from Hattons, I just got Hattons to send them direct to Douglas. The Warship on the other hand was supplied by Douglas with sound installed. For that he charged 240. You can see other locos supplied with sound at http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk/online-store/shop/dcc-sound-fitted-locos?vmcchk=1

I would be happy to recommend Douglas/Wickness to anyone. He does a first class job and is well aware of the need to look at issues like pickups etc. He does not charge anything 'up front' but waits to receive the loco and, once he is satisfied that he can do a sound conversion, he charges you for the decoder/sound file. He also gives you an estimate of labour costs at this stage. When the installation is complete, he videos it and sends you a link to the relevant YouTube page. The 2 videos I posted are of my locos. He then charges you for the labour costs and any P&P.

I'm now trying to work out which of my locos to send him next! Probably my Class 122 bubble car...

Hope this helps..
Nick

Offline Trev

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23682
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: June 02, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
My purchases at the NGS AGM.
Very surprised at the colour difference between the inspection saloon and the Stove R.

One question if any one knows the answer please -  The Stove R - how would they have been used, what sort of train configuration would have included one.

Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #598 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:36 pm »
Yeah, there is quite a bit of difference in the liveries! But that is a good question about the Stove R... I don't know either, and would be most interested to learn!

Cheers, George.

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #599 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:21 am »
Spent the day in London with the good lady wife, and while on Oxford Street, nipped into the 'Wheels of Steel' at Grays Antique Market (close to Bond Street tube station). I picked up a set of three SPA wagons (with loads) plus a single OCA wagon, all in EWS livery, for 25.

A certain model shop online is doing the SPA wagons in EWS for about 5 each (can't remember if 4.99 or 5.99) also can't remember which one as I was just flicking through the bargain bins online. Probably Hattons or Modelzone, so if you want more then a quick search should help you.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything