!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: what are people doing on their layout right now  (Read 278612 times)

Offline NW2017

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: what are people doing on their layout right now
« Reply #2685 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:49 am »
C'mon Rich - it is half an hour since you last posted, where are the instructions?  :) Seriously, I would not mind buying something like this if someone were to make one, a quick search on t'internet has shown nothing, (might have a more serious search at the weekend whilst I am 'working'  ;)).

Haha! Well that sounds like a challenge!  Now free time, take of modelling time, track laying ... erm I've about 35 minutes free 3rd week in August ..... 2022!! :)

Seriously, I'll have a play.  The equipment side is simple a couple of infra-red detectors, small Ardunio board, an output display and some wires.  The code again isn't difficult.    Start timer when first IR triggers, end when second trigger, do calculation, output the speed, reset timers, loop and wait for the next trigger.  So it really shouldn't take too much putting together.  Dave at Megapoints has shown these small IR detectors that can be acquired off eBay for a couple of quid, they work ideal, so the costs wouldn't be much.  Give me a couple of weeks and I'll see what I can come up with! :)

Feel free to give me a prod incase work and family life takes over and I forget!

Rich

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2686 on: April 13, 2018, 12:27:01 am »
Don't get the polarity wrong like some goose did on the forum's electronics board yesterday  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2687 on: April 13, 2018, 02:52:17 am »
Iím trying to get a continous run built before my Pendolinos arrive.

John P

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2688 on: April 13, 2018, 11:54:02 am »

I am no good at Mathematics so timing things and working it out like that is a  no go for me.
Bob Tidbury

@Bob Tidbury

The bits you need are really quite simple, Bob.
If you need distance (D) then it's speed (S) x time (T) e.g. 60mph x 1 hour = 60 miles
If you need speed (S) then it's distance (D) divided by time (T) e.g. 120 miles in 2 hours = 60mph
If you need time (T) then it's distance (D) divided by speed (S) e.g. 120 miles at 60mph = 2 hours

Just bear in mind you are measuring 148th scale

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything