!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway  (Read 52449 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign: Thanks for the report Tom glad all went well & looking forward to future developments
    regards Derek.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Thornton Gate @ Totally Models Blackpool June 2018
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2018, 03:36:09 pm »
Hello all, this is rather a late call, as I've been busy with life.... (you know how it is)

Just to say Thornton Gate will be a this weekends 'Totally Models' exhibition at Blackpool (Sat 23rd & Sun 24th June) inside the famous Rigby Road tram sheds.

A fantastic opportunity to have a look around, ride real trams and vintage buses

Im told the model show takes up 3 halls this year

Deatils 

http://www.blackpoolheritage.com/httours/event/totally-models/

Hope to see you there!

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Totally Models Exhibition, Rigby Road Depot, Blackpool, 2018 Show Report
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2018, 12:36:08 am »

Hello all, June saw Thornton Gate make another trip to the fantastic Totally Models Exhibition held inside the famous tram sheds in central Blackpool.

As with last year, a truly enjoyable show, very well organised and a nice mix and real and model tramway rolling stock exhibiting side by side!

We were placed in the second hall once again more or less in the same spot as last year, However we had a visitor in wit us!

Above: The view from my operating position behind the layout showing EE Balloon class No. 711 stabled in the hall for the duration of the show, which was nice!

Above: 711 had been roped into being an active exhibit with a scale model tramway running not only around it be also strait though the centre passenger saloon and out the other side!

Above: And this is how new trams are made ....... :-P A active demo of what was proposed with 711 showing the larger scale which I think is G or Gauge 1 (not sure) compared to a stock HO Corgi model. Our N gauge balloons would have looked rather dwarfed!

On with the models! Same running stock as with Ludlow here Centenary 641 heads up a Fleetwood bound service.

Some problems for 726 which is still not running correctly, even after having its DCC CV's tweaked. So although not failed 726 was 'parked up' early on day one on centre line for the duration.

Here Balloon 702 works a down Stargate service from Fleetwood.

Above: Due to the nature of exhibiting in a active depot, dirt was a bit of an issue with wheels and track needing constant cleaning. Here after many hours of running 702 is shunted into the yard area to allow other services to pass. The tram later moved back to the fiddle yard for attention.

The end of day one saw Balloon 717 run a exhibitors special from the depot to Fleetwood and back. As with last year we used with service to get back to our hotel having come down on a normal service tram that morning.

Day 2

Day two and i got a chance to take a few photos outside. Here Balloon 715 was in use on a special service ferrying exhibition visitors between the tram depot and tower station/tram stop. Several tramcars ran this special service on both days taking passengers off the promenade mainline and down the branch line to the depot.

A photo of myself as I dont normally get pictured in my own reports....

We'll finish with Balloon 704 traversing the little used far siding of Thornton Gate yard. The main reason for this was England were playing Panama in the World Cup that Sunday so the show had all but gone dead. As we had to be with our stands I decided to take 704 and play around a bit, in this case seeing how far down the far line it would get before stalling or derailing. I think the results are impressive.... nearly in the static grass!

Ok so there we are. Still really pleased how well the new 3D print rolling stock has come on and worked out.

Thanks to all that came and said hello, and thanks to Blackpool Transport for another brilliant show.

We have work to do mainly with Rolling stock etc, And we're due out again for one more planned show for 2018 and this one is a lot closer to home! More details to follow.....

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:58:19 am by Balloon_726 »

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2018, 09:48:13 am »
Thanks for the report, Tom. Very interesting, if only Blackpool was a bit nearer the Midlands. If you get many more plaques for the stand, you’ll need some cribbing under the top valance. 😆
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2018, 09:57:32 am »
Wot Malc said.

Awesome!  :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2018, 11:48:28 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for the show report Tom, looking superb as ever. Hope to see Thornton Gate in the flesh someday soon
     regards Derek.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Shrewsbury Model Railway Show Final outing of 2018!
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:47 am »
Shrewsbury Model Railway Show Final outing of 2018!

This one is a bit of a late update as i'm extremely busy and have a cold at the mo! So feeling less them wonderful!

Anyhow's October 20th 2018 Thornton Gate will be as the Shrewsbury Model Railway Show

https://www.chantillygrey.com/shrewsbury-model-railway-show.html

This is a truly local show for us, the venue being less the a mile from home and nextdoor to the building were I used to rent a studio and build alot of Thornton Gate back in 2012!

We've had a far bit to do since the last outing. One of the jobs has been to yet again patch the road area in the yard between the two baseboards as it constantly gets knocked in transit.

I didn't have the right paint but found something 'in the ball park' so lightly worked in a patch coat which i think will work ok.

Over on my new workbench (Ive now moved house) Balloon 726 is having some attention. Basically the DCC decoder in this one has been a nightmare and no matter what CV settings I do it has largely been underivable, hence the being stabled up for most of its operating life.

The plan is to swap out the decoder with one recovered from a chassis used in our original balloon fleet. The only snag is both have to be hard wired in so its a case of unpicking all the and re soldering... fun times!

Really like this low level shot of Balloons 702 and 726 stabled on centre road. Both crews taking a lunch break before both cars make return journeys to Blackpool. Terminating and 'turning' operations is not something we've done enough of during exhibitions if i'm honest. We generally end up just going around in circles  with set cars running on the up and down lines all day. Something to think about!

Back to the workbench and I've decided to weather down the new rolling stock. If its one thing we do well on Thornton Gate is grimy and dilapidated which a far few of the Balloons were getting back in 2007-8 when it looked like the lot were for the scrap man!

Balloon 704 is a new favourite, the 3 tone livery works well. Here like the others i've treated to a layer of dirt which helps to tone down the colour a bit and aids in lifting details.

It does get me how little real life weathering is done to tram models most ive seen being pristine all the time  which they just weren't.

So there we are for now.
Shrewsbury show is our last for 2018 so hope to see you maybe?

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2018, 07:13:55 am »
Thanks for the update.

Sorry I won't be coming to Shrewsbury as the dates clash with other stuff going on.

Hope the show goes well.

Dave G

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »
Hi Tom.

Good to see you on Saturday. Sorry I didn't come over for a proper catch up with you and the layout but as you know it was a very busy show!

Cheers

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations