!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kirkholme  (Read 15249 times)

Offline SD35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12663
    • Awards
Kirkholme
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:25:34 pm »
Frustrated at having to run my UK stock on my US layout, I decided enough was enough and it was time to make a UK layout.  A couple of weeks ago, I put drill to timber to start Kirkholme.

Kirkholme is somewhere or other between Preston and Motherwell on the northern WCML and reflects the period from 1978 to 1994 which coincides with my own interest in the big railway before the second great unpleasantness occurred.   There is a small (Lockerbie or Lancaster-ish) station with a (west of Carlisle station-ish) yard in the town.  Despite its small size, itís quite busy as for some operating reason or another, crews change here and electric/diesel locos often switch over. 

Sadly though, I canít stand modelling stations, possibly due to building US layouts and because I like watching trains moving rather than resting, so none of the above appears on this layout.  Instead, the watcher is relocated to the other side of the bridge just north of the station throat and opposite the site of the old steam shed.  This has long been demolished and the site is now covered by industrial units and a few sidings where engineerís wagons get dumped now and again and where the odd loco or DMU ticks over waiting for its next duty.

I had 16í x 10í to play with but Iíve fallen into the trap of filling a room before and then pined for a modelling bench, extra storage space and beer fridge so I set a limit of 13í x 3í and after mauling about with various ideas came up with the following simple plan:

The left (south) end is on the edge of town and the right (north) end is out in the sticks.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:29:27 pm by SD35, Reason: photo source move »

Offline SD35

• Awards
Re: Kirkholme
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:37:07 pm »
Half way through week three, the board is complete and the trackwork of the rear storage yard is about 80% finished.

Wide shot of the whole length showing the lowered area at right to allow for an embankment:

The storage yard.  It has four lines for each of the two main running lines and two bi-directional ones between them:

I should get the yard finished tonight and then start on the very tedious job of soldering 6 leads each to 22 seep point motors.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:30:55 pm by SD35, Reason: photo source move »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »
Tis the season for layout building.
Interesting concept and a great start :thumbsup:

Offline SD35

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »
Into week 5 now and the storage yard is finished.  Work has moved around the ends and front with sections of flex track soldered together to get a nice consistent curve on the ends.  These have now been laid as has most of the track at the front.

The piers and surface for the embankment was put in at the weekend and all but one length of track has been laid over this.  I've added a little super-elevation on the curved part:

At the other end, the two main lines are laid and the outside loop which is essentially the station approach somewhere off scene.  The inner loop is laid and the sidings are being marked out:

Meanwhile, the point motor lead soldering continues.  I can only be bothered doing two or three of these at a time before I lose concentration.  13 down, 16 to go:

Hopefully, all the track will be laid this week and I should get the bus bar installed at the weekend and droppers attached so I can start test running before working on the scenics.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:32:40 pm by SD35, Reason: photo source move »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »
Nice work!!

so I can start test running before working on the scenics.

Ah - we all say that and then start playing trains and the scenery seems to fade from memory ;)

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »

Ah - we all say that and then start playing trains and the scenery seems to fade from memory ;)
[/quote]

So true  :smiley-laughing:

Offline SD35

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:15 pm »
Discipline is everything...*coughs*

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »
Discipline is everything...*coughs*

Discipline has nothing to do with the fact that you must run exensively, to ensure smooth running once scenery is in place, thereby eliminating the need for mechanical diggers at a later stage - and that rests the case for the defence m'lud  ;D

Offline SD35

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
I feel awful. You all seem to be suggesting that I have no discipline, backbone or moral fibre.  As if I'd jury rig some wiring to run something while I still have important trackwork to complete...

...erm...

DSC 0129

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 09:19:52 pm »
Tut tut - go and stand on the naughty step :smiley-laughing:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »
I read this and thought "Hmm, 13'x3', four lines on south board going into 2 lines on north board with some sidings, superelevated curves, lots of Seeps . . . where have I heard something like this before?"

Ah yes . . . MINE!  :smiley-laughing: 

Needless to say I will be watching with interest to see just how different yours turns out to mine, yet with so many initial similarites (except mine is 12'x3') :) Incidentally how did you add the superelevation? I inserted thin strips of old credit card under the outside-edge sleepers which handily gave me the required 4 degree cant  ;)

Good luck with the point motors, I had 34 to do and have only today fitted the last 10. Still have these and six others to wire back to the control panel  ::)

Paul

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »
The layouts coming along fine and I like your organized way of doing things, great to see future developments.

It seems to me that there are as many US modellers making the switch to British as there are British to US  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »
i like your track plan and looks good so far

good luck

tim

:Class89:

Offline SD35

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:49 am »
Morning. 

The super-elevation is similar to yours but with inch long strips of 200msg card glued at 2 inch intervals across half the width of the trackbed.  Then the track is glued down on top of those.

I read one of Pelle Soeborg's books (whose every word I hang off) and he glues a sliver of plasticard under 1 in every 5 sleepers but that is in HO scale and I baulked at that when I considered he number of sleepers.  Then I thought about gluing the card to the underside of the track but realised that this wouldn't allow me to subsequently adjust the curve of the track, hence the above method.  To be honest, its hardly noticable but may become a little more obvious when upright scenery like a bridge, electric masts and sheep are in place.

Offline SD35

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:59:52 am »
A busy day yesterday.  First I added a little shelf underneath the rear corner of the board for the Lenz gubbins:

After that, the bus was installed all the way round, the droppers soldered to the track and bus, two XpressNet adapters added to the front of the board and finally some self indulgent playing very, very important test running.  Further testing is underway this morning as you can't be too careful can you:

Test running

One benefit of this appalling weather is the time I can justify on this indoors.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:33:20 pm by SD35, Reason: photo source move »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything