!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trewoon Junction and Pentewan (for Mevagissey)  (Read 6237 times)

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My Layout - still under construction
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:33 pm »
Looking good mate!
best of luck finishing :D

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:40 am »
I agree with the other comments it's a cracking layout. More photos please.  ;D

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline upclosevideo

• So many hobbies, so little time to enjoy them all
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »
Looks a really nice layout, how large is it.
(newbie seeking inspiration and ideas for getting started)
 :beers:
Andrew

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 12:26:35 pm »
Looks a really nice layout, how large is it.
(newbie seeking inspiration and ideas for getting started)
 :beers:
Andrew

The oval section is 60" x 30", the Terminal station 72" x 18" and the fiddle yard 72" x 12"

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
Re: Trewoon Junction and Pentewan (for Mevagissey)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:21:11 am »
Finally after almost ten years, largely thanks to Chris in Prague, my main layout finally has a title, the main line station is Trewoon, and the Terminal station Pentewan (for Mevagissey).
I will leave it to Chris to paint the history of this branch as he discovered that it did actually exist!

Regards,

Alex   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:14:04 am by Hailstone »

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »
Great layout!

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 10:46:27 pm »
Thank you for this opportunity to post the history that we agreed for this lovely Cornish layout.

The first railway at Pentewan was a 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge  horse-drawn tramway carrying china clay from St Austell (it did not reach the GWR mainline) to a new harbour at Pentewan which was opened in 1829. In 1874 the Pentewan Railway was strengthened for locomotive working. It finally succumbed to more efficient operation at other ports and closed in 1918 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentewan_Railway).

So, the fictional Trewoon Junction to Pentewan (for Mevagissey) line had its origins in a mineral tramway, the abandoned Pentewan Railway, which its builders adapted part of the formation of. Building a station at a point between Mevagissey & Pentewan and calling it Pentewan for Mevagissey in the hopes of serving both places with one station, was quite typical of the GWR (and SR) in Cornwall.

Construction of the Trewoon Junction to Pentewan line was assisted by the British government of the day which passed the Development (Loan Guarantees and Grants) Act of 1929, under which the government would pay the interest on capital expended on schemes of development. Most railways took advantage of this Act, but none more so than the GWR which participated in the anticipation that trade would improve and there would be a need for better railway transport facilities. (By the end of 1933, it had 35 separate schemes involving a total of about 8,000,000, an enormous amount of money in those days. The GWR programme covered railway and dock operations throughout the system, and included major improvements at the main stations, lines being quadrupled, new avoiding lines, extension of Automatic Train Control, colour-light signalling and improved dock facilities in South Wales, as well as a host of smaller improvements, some carried out in cooperation with local town councils and the like.)

Similarly, the Trewoon Junction to Pentewan line was built by the GWR in the 1930s in co-operation with the local council (encouraged by a prominent local entrepreneur) supported by the U.K. government. At this period, with 2 huge beaches, Pentewan was being developed by this entrepreneur who had invested in a large holiday park inspired by the example of Butlin's, (Billy Butlin opened his first resort in 1936), and arranged with the GWR, again supported by the local council, for through trains from London (Paddington), the Midlands (Birmingham & Wolverhampton), and NW (Manchester) and NE England (Sheffield) on Saturdays (the 'changeover' day) during the high summer holiday season.

Although Trewoon Junction is only 2 and a half miles from St Austell, which already had a station, and about 2 miles further west of St Austell station, on the GWR main line, there was a station at Burngullow. However, despite this station having been closed and rebuilt a little further west on 1 August 1901 it was closed for good to passengers on 14 September 1931. So, soon afterwards, Trewon Junction was able to replace it as the station for the Burngullow area. (The sidings and branch at Burngullow continued to handle heavy china clay traffic.) So, Trewoon Junction was not provided with a large goods yard nor does it handle china clay traffic in normal circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:20:20 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 05:45:05 am »
High time for an update, please.

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
Very nice.  Thanks for the photo's and track plan.  It's much better than I could produce.

Dave

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 11:32:05 pm »
Having spent a little time renumbering a couple of locos, I decided to have a running session using my Southern stock. hope you like the photos.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 02:55:12 am »
What a load of Bulleids ;)
Nice stud, Alex.

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:39 am »
What a load of Bulleids ;)
Nice stud, Alex.

:laughabovepost:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 04:58:29 am »
Hi Alex,

Just came across this layout and the link to Tremierten (although haven't read that one properly yet). Both very nice.

Like the photos and as others have said (over the passing years, time flies by etc.) more please.

Hope you get to expand on Chris in Prague's excellent history and come up with some stories and scenarios for the layout. Cant Cove, Port Perran and others are really brought to life with that sort of thing.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:42 am »
Thank you for this long overdue and much-appreciated update, Alex, of your excellent layout. It looks like BR SR were having a mass crew-training session. (Normally BR WR and SR just used their respective opposite number's Exeter-Plymouth mainlines for crew-training.) Maybe, some special through trains from BR SR in North Cornwall are being planned for the Summer? 8-)

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:19:09 pm »
It is quite a while since I last updated this thread as not a lot has happened while I have been building locos and upgrading and exhibiting Tremierten, but I recently decided to take a break from loco construction and have an operating session initially with the Western Region sstock and noticed that locos were derailing on the curved point behind Trewoon loco shed that leads into the back platform. whilst it worked ok in the trailing (up) direction, too many locos were derailing in the leading (down) direction.
until recently, this had not mattered as I was only running up trains but wanted to make this particular route bi directional as I could it as a loop for down freight trains as well, so I decide to investigate and came to the conclusion that the curve entering the point was just a little too tight and so decided to relay it a little closer to the up main.
using 2 auto coaches, to give minimum clearance between the up main and loop which are the longest coaches I have, I temporarily laid a new track starting from the curved point and leading back towards the fiddle yard junction and then rechecked that locos could negotiate it without derailment - success! I then fitted it properly, painted the rails and replace all of the scenery I had uprooted to get at the track, so I am now able to use the loop in up or down directions as a refuge for freight trains, as well as a more useable run round loop in the station to reverse local trains.
having done all this I felt it was time to have an operating session with the Eastern Region stock as you can see below

For anyone confused about up and down directions, down is towards Pentewan, and up towards the fiddle yard (Paddington)

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:24:09 pm by Hailstone »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here