!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any SNCF modellers?  (Read 31074 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any SNCF modellers?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:15 pm »
The locomotive is from Piko  I would say the paint detail is not quite at the same level as Minitrix/Fleischmann,

I don't think there is much wrong at all with the Piko paintwork. Some of the markings (eg size of lettering)  aren't quite right on some models but that's about all IMHO.

Here is the latest model, the original short cab version of the SNCF BB25500. The problem with this model is that Piko forgot/failed to/could not be bothered to alter the coupling arrangement on the chassis which is the same as the long cab version, so the coupling stick out a mile! Hence you will see I have immediately taken the obvious action of removing the coupler. The French 'forumistes' have already done more major surgery.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Quinntopia - World Domination in N Scale!
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:08 am »
The locomotive is from Piko  I would say the paint detail is not quite at the same level as Minitrix/Fleischmann,

I don't think there is much wrong at all with the Piko paintwork. Some of the markings (eg size of lettering)  aren't quite right on some models but that's about all IMHO.

Hi Gordon! Sorry...didn't mean to sound overly-critical!  :-[   However, if you look closely at the below photo, you can see what I am referring to....the dark blue looks a bit on the sloppy side and not the nice sharp line that should be seen on the corner of the cab.  Its a little bit of a nit-pick, and generally a flaw that I don't see on most modern locomotives from Kato, trix, etc.... unfortunately, its one of those things that once you notice it, you tend to focus on it!  :'(

To be clear....I think their models are fantastic (and a great price) and will continue to buy more! I also may have received the single unit with this minor flaw as well!

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Quinntopia - World Domination in N Scale!
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 03:41:16 am »
Another new lok for me.  These have been out for several years, and I got the feeling they are starting to get more scarce, so I had to get one while they're available!

I'm not crazy about the Fret livery - it certainly is not as classic as the old blue livery (which I already had), but having a semi-modern era SNCF set up like I do, you have to have a few of these. And to be honest, it has sort of grown on me.  I think I like just the big letters that spell out 'FRET' that - even though is not english - kind of has a nice French feel to it.

Minitrix BB 67k by quinntopia, on Flickr

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »
How ironic that you should make that comment. Last night at my model railway club I was running SNCF stock*. And guess what I said to my French N colleague – yes that’s right I said look at how many French N gauge locos I’ve got now in Fret livery!

I was running a Mabar 68000 in Fret livery a Piko Sybic in Fret livery and a Piko 61000 in Fret livery. My mate knows that when Fret livery first came out I detested it but exactly as you say it has grown on me. Of course in most people’s view this was largely helped by the appearance of the En Voyage livery which is even less suited to much of the Arzens-designed SNCF traction.
The point about the blue diesel livery is that it was part of Paul Arzens’ overall look for the locos he designed. He put the livery and the actual body shape together as one entity when he was designing the locos. 
Also, the Fret livery suits some SNCF locomotives better than others.

Some facts about the Minitrix 67300

There were only four 67300 ever in Fret livery!

The body is inaccurate. The stanchion between the two windscreens is too thin. It is suspected that Trix used the original dimension drawing of the 67300. The drawing is quite widely available in publications but it represents the locos when first built, when they had a thin stanchion between to two front windscreens. Unfortunately for Trix the stanchion (along with the rest of the cab widow area) was revised on all 67000 family locomotives in the late 1960s.

A close up of the windscreen can be seen in my photo here:
http://gwizz.piwigo.com/_datas/1/t/w/1twf9cska9/i/uploads/1/t/w/1twf9cska9//2012/11/01/20121101145939-7811e3d9-me.jpg

One of the few real 67300 class locos in the Fret livery, on the line nearest our house which triggered my childhood interest in France railways:
http://gwizz.piwigo.com/_datas/1/t/w/1twf9cska9/i/uploads/1/t/w/1twf9cska9//2012/11/01/20121101145841-199ea71d-me.jpg

* Generally on each club night I set up a 6x2 table and set up an ‘instant layout’, using Kato Unitrack. As I now have a load of the ground level superelevated-curved double track stuff, it is even quicker to get a double track main line circuit up and running (approx. 10 minutes!

European railway expert

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »
i wasn't keen on fret livery, but after seeing a few in real life now i quite like it.

tim

Offline eric dupont

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »
 :hellosign:
to get into the french blue diesel period you can get to the protos BB 69001 & BB 69002 ; Two diesel motors and hydraulic generator and transmission : 4800 hp / 84 tonnes   :claphappy: but 20 years of mechanicals & hydraulics problems  :hmmm:
( need two 67000 lima ) and scratch build .
(  my work : unfinished body ( windows - roof - details ) on unapropriate boogies -> only to take the picture )

And also protos CC 70001 & 70002
The generator was in the center as two opposite-1500 rpm-motors runs the rotor and the stator ( so = 3000 rpm relative ) : typical crazy french idea but had worked 17 to 18 years ! ! ! ( with problems too  :scowl:)
HO Mehano model with false number 70000

French railcar X 4200 ( panoramic ) is to be found ( rare & expensive ) in second hand as resin model ; the one I have had a too short chassis and too high-above-rail body , so I did one cheap chassis with two Life-Like ones and bits of plastic + piece of lead .
Do not turn on short radius !
I have to finish work on my X 4208 ; the clearglass had been previously disgustingly bonded ( enormous work when I bought it & so I slightly dammaged it ! )
I also need to adjust the raws of seats with tourists over the motor and improve lightning of the dome .

Goodbye
éric

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »

Having travelled between family houses in UK and Geneva for 50 years I am a veteran of the route where the 69000 and 70000 prototypes were used.

As such I had a layout based on the line (has been exhibited around UK but we are now building a replacement at our club) 

As I know the line well, I also have a 69000 (cut and shut Lima 67000) I bought it from a French enthusiast but it is easy to make one from two Lima 67000 bodies. I also had a scratch built CC70000 from the same chap but sold that on last year. I currently have a resin cast 70000 waiting to be painted. AFAN did a 70000 as well which is probably better than the resin cast I have as the AFAN one used fewer parts from Lima 67000s, which is correct as the 70000 looked less like a 67000 than the 69000. 

European railway expert

Offline bobcorrigan

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 06:10:29 pm »
In the late 70s/early 80s I was a frequent passenger on the SNCF between L'Etang-la-Ville and Saint-Cloud on the Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche line.  I don't have a strong memory for what specific equipment was running at the time (I was either still waking up or about to fall asleep and was lucky I didn't sit in the 1er classe car), but if someone knows, I'll go hunting for them.  I'm trying to model "trains I've ridden on" or "have made me wait at crossings".  Yes, I know that's an unusual focus, but there you go.

Salut,

bob

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:57 am »

You almost certainly travelled in a Z6400 EMU, delivered to the St Lazare suburban lines from 1976. If not it would probably have been the older Z6300 type ‘tin can’ – the similar Z6100 are still (just) surviving on Paris Nord suburban services.

Like the majority of Paris suburban units they have seen at least one refurbishment and repaint but they are still running the same service.

Here’s the railfaneurope gallery of the Z6400s as you have seen them in the original livery.
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/fr/electric/emu/Z6400/original/pix.html

European railway expert

Offline bobcorrigan

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »
Those are exactly the trains I remember. Any sense of whether or not someone has them for sale in N?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »
Those are exactly the trains I remember.

Thank you - it is nice to know I passed the skills test befitting my position as Technical Adviser to the SNCF Society

Any sense of whether or not someone has them for sale in N?

To be blunt – no chance! There isn’t even an HO model to my knowledge.

I didn’t even see the type mentioned in a recent pole of what the dedicated French N gaugers listed as their priority ‘wants’.

Some of the problems are:
The Z6400 are somewhat non-standard and have always run on the one section of the Paris suburban so are even less desired as models than some of the other Paris suburban units which have at least been used piecemeal in other parts of France.

The older Paris ‘tin can’ suburban units have stainless steel ribbed sides not easily lent to modelling especially by artisan companies who are the most active on producing the ‘unusual’ French outline items.

Many of the units have quite low slung bogies so the motorisation of models in N gauge is off putting.

European railway expert

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »
They look pretty angular so I'd have thought they were not horrendous to 3D print or do print/etched overlay. Tricky to be sure without drawings however.

They not exactly pretty beasts in their un-refurbished form though are they.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline bobcorrigan

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »
Not pretty, yes, but so very memorable.  I know that and a dime will buy you a business plan to make them, but it was worth asking.  And now, I have the photos to remind me of all those (admittedly sleepy) rides.

Best,

bob

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »
They look pretty angular Alan

However there are some awkward subtle mutliple angles on the ribbed side - a horrible combination to recreate in small scale. The off putting thing about the Paris tin can sets in N gauge for many prospective manufacturers is also the inset doors 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:30:22 pm by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 07:30:19 pm »
Not pretty, yes, but so very memorable.  I know that and a dime will buy you a business plan to make them, but it was worth asking.  And now, I have the photos to remind me of all those (admittedly sleepy) rides.

If someone can find plans I' ll have a serious look - the inset doors are a doddle in 3D print (unlike etching where they are nightmares)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything