!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Automatic Signals  (Read 106 times)

Offline Gizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Kato Automatic Signals
« on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »
Does anyone use these?

I've brought 3 for a layout I'm building.

Any thoughts please....
Gizzy

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Kato Automatic Signals
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:37:11 am »
ive got a few - they are pretty much Plug'n play. the loco wheels complete a contact as the loco moves by, and the lights change.

it needs a signal power box, which connects to the normal Kato PSU via a converter/ to 16vAc supply.

they just work!

Unitrack Signal, N scale Automatic 3 Colour Signal, S124SGL. Kato Precision Railroad Models, Japan & Usa, N scale Unitrack Model Railway track system Signals. The Kato 20-605 Unitrack Automatic 3 colour signal is on a 124mm - 4 7/8 in straight track.

To operate the signals you will need the Kato automatic 3 light signal power supply K24-844 along with the K24-829 power converter.

This signal is not intended for use with Digital Command Control ( DCC ). Signal operation - Lead car / locomotive passes over sensor, causing green light to change to red. After 3 second time delay ( activated only by rolling stock with metal wheels ), red light changes to yellow. Yellow light changes back to green after an additional 3 seconds. During reverse running the signal will remain red. The signal will remain green when idle.

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?id=7126&manufacturer=%27KATO%20N%20Gauge%27

Kato makes a Automatic Signal Power Supply (24-844) that operates on either 12V DC (from a Kato pack) or 17 V AC (typical of U.S. power packs) and provides three 12V DC outputs (one signal per output). To connect to a Kato pack, an additional Accessory Adapter (24-829) is required per Signal Power Supply. For more than three signals, additional accessory adapters can be linked, each driving one power supply and up to three signals. The signals are rated to draw 50 mA, which suggests they use bulbs, and also places a fairly low limit on the number a power pack could support.

The Kato documentation says that the signals take 3 seconds to cycle from Red to Yellow, and another three to Green. I have two signals, and both take more like 4.5 seconds per step. The cycle time is fixed regardless of train speed.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:52 am »
There you go!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:09:44 am »
Even 4.5 seconds seems very quick, can you not adjust it?

You can get IR modules from China that at least have adjustable timings, and they cost far less. You seem to be paying an significant convenience premium for the Kato ones. Not a problem, but I'd be aware. They also look absolutely nothing like a UK signal.

You could use a CR Signal and Heathcote module if you're modelling UK outline and it would look far better and be more versatile for virtually the same price. Just my 0.02. I realise not all that helpful when you already have them. :doh:

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:48:35 pm »
Many thanks chaps!

I have 3 of these which I'm going to use on my RhB layout, despite them not looking very Swissy at all!

Interesting that they show a red aspect if you are reverse running, as one of these is a 'Right Hander', with the others being Left Handed. They are being used just for effect really, rather than actually operating prototypically?

I'm sticking to DC and the Kato kit and trackage for my layout, so these will be fine for what I want to do.

I've also got an automatic double track level crossing which again is probably more Japanese than European, but if it works well it'll look good....
Gizzy

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here