!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Great Model Railway Challenge - Series 2  (Read 1205 times)

Offline rhysapthomas

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge - Series 2
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 02:30:36 pm »
Hi

Just like to flag up interest in this if it happens.  My main interest in in the electrics side of railways and i do like make these animated feature which seem  to be a feature of the comptition.  Keep up the good work!. 
It will be interesting to see the rules i wonder if stock is not included in the cost because the last one i saw the winner had maybe 12 DCC locos whereas the others had just one or two?

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 03:48:53 pm »
You're not going to get to use Kato track... Teams were provided with a budget together with Hornby, Bachmann/Farish, Peco and Metcalf catalogues.

Similarly, plans to fill layouts with full length HST may come unstuck if all trains have to be bought within the budget. Most of the layouts on the current series could have managed much longer trains but I'm guessing the teams chose to spend their money on scenic items too.

Perhaps Phil can fill us in on what was provides/allowed for series one before we get carried away with spending the whole budget on a Kato turntable.
Hi Steven,

My understanding is that Series 2 will be different to Series 1.

The product list for Series 1 may not be relevant to Series 2 - especially as this will be an N Gauge entry.

There was very little N Gauge in the Series 1 product list.

So - as I said, it's a case of waiting patiently to see what happens regarding the rules and the product list.

I don't have a crystal ball and would not like to pre-empt anything to do with Series 2!

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 03:53:32 pm »
Hi

Just like to flag up interest in this if it happens.  My main interest in in the electrics side of railways and i do like make these animated feature which seem  to be a feature of the comptition.  Keep up the good work!. 
It will be interesting to see the rules i wonder if stock is not included in the cost because the last one i saw the winner had maybe 12 DCC locos whereas the others had just one or two?
Hi Rhys,

We will need someone like yourself who is good at creating animated scenes. The cost for these would be built into the overall budget.

Stock is a different situation. For Series 1 a certain amount of stock was listed in the product list and some teams did buy stock.

However, as there was nothing in the rules to prevent it, some teams (including mine) brought there own stock to run on the layout.

Doing this allowed more money to be spent on the layout itself.

How this will work in Series 2 is unknown

I keep saying it, but - you have to wait to see what rules and product lists are supplied for Series 2.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:31:09 pm by ScottishModeller »
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:48 pm »
Absolutely We must wait and see what the rules for the next series is.  They may not even allow N I suppose

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
Phill

Count me in I am good at being general dogsbody go-for and hopefully come up with some good ideas and operation.

I know you are waiting for the rules but would N Gauge be allowed for heats only and OO gauge for the final and what do folk here think if that was the case

Dave

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »
Phill

Count me in I am good at being general dogsbody go-for and hopefully come up with some good ideas and operation.

I know you are waiting for the rules but would N Gauge be allowed for heats only and OO gauge for the final and what do folk here think if that was the case

Dave
Hi Dave,

Good to hear from someone else willing to take part - the more the merrier in my view.

There is nothing yet about the rules for Series 2.

All I can say is that I have been advised that the rules are changing- in exactly what way - no idea.

I was fairly precise in my email interchange about it would need to be N Gauge all the way, heats and final, as I don't see a way to make it work for us otherwise.

If they come back and say N for Heats and OO for Final - I will be withdrawing the entry as is does not match what I have proposed to them.

As I said - there is nothing we can do except wait.

That doesn't mean we can't put ideas down ahead of time and then work out how to make them fit the rules!

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 07:56:43 pm »
You're not going to get to use Kato track... Teams were provided with a budget together with Hornby, Bachmann/Farish, Peco and Metcalf catalogues.

Similarly, plans to fill layouts with full length HST may come unstuck if all trains have to be bought within the budget. Most of the layouts on the current series could have managed much longer trains but I'm guessing the teams chose to spend their money on scenic items too.

Perhaps Phil can fill us in on what was provides/allowed for series one before we get carried away with spending the whole budget on a Kato turntable.
Hi Steve,

I do not have the production company permission to post the various order sheets they compiled and sent out for Series 1.

What I can say, without breach of confidence is that we recieved the following as guidance.

Hornby - a list of products we were allowed to purchase from the budget.
Bachmann - a blank sheet to order what we wanted from their ranges from the budget.
Peco - a blank sheet to order what we wanted from their ranges from the budget.
DeLux Materials- a list of suggested products from their ranges to purchase from the budget.
Gaugemaster - a blank sheet to order what we wanted from their ranges.

Each of these had been allocated a fixed maximum budget by the production team.

Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer about why I have to be pretty vague about how things worked/may work in the future.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 09:30:50 pm »

If they come back and say N for Heats and OO for Final - I will be withdrawing the entry as is does not match what I have proposed to them.

I can't see them allowing both N and 00 for any team as that effectively doubles the expenditure per team.
If, and I say "If" as the rules are unknown yet, they decide the final will be a layout composed of modules from each team then they'd all have to be the same gauge.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 02:31:59 pm »
Quote from: ScottishModeller link=topic=43432.msg538237#msg538237

[/quote

I can't see them allowing both N and 00 for any team as that effectively doubles the expenditure per team.

or halves what they have available for each gauge.. if you have a fixed budget you choose what to spend it on..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:33:59 pm by The Q »

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 02:35:30 pm »

If, and I say "If" as the rules are unknown yet, they decide the final will be a layout composed of modules from each team then they'd all have to be the same gauge.

Hi

At least two of the layouts in the series featured both N and OO to provide a forced perspective, however, they did keep referring to N as Narrow Gauge.

Cheers

Paul

Offline ScottishModeller

• Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 03:54:30 pm »

Hi

At least two of the layouts in the series featured both N and OO to provide a forced perspective, however, they did keep referring to N as Narrow Gauge.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul,

You are correct - even the Mrs commented that they had got the things wrong.

Ah well - we are here to educate as well as entertain.
Thanks
Phil Holman

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here