!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NEM Rapido Couplings help needed  (Read 202 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
NEM Rapido Couplings help needed
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:38 pm »
Hi guys

I need a little help

Long story short I had theis great idea to convert all my rolling stock to NEM pockets so I can use Dapol's Easi Shunt couplers, but soon had far to many wagons to make that financially viable, sho went with plan B to use Dapol's Nemcoup on most wagons with Easi Shunt on the ends of the wagon rakes, but doing this I personally found the Nemcoups to be quite unreliable and rather prone to uncoupling on their own.

So in the end I decided to go back to Rapido couplers so bought a few bags of Farish Couplers, at first I went with the short option but found they didn't play well in Dapols NEM Pockets, and wood not self level so if they moved up under motion they would stay up and uncouple, so then I tried their standard ones and found another problem, the little pips that hold the coupler in the pocket are too small so will not hold in the pocket.  now I do have some standard Rapido couplers that I am sure are Farish and they fit fine and work well but if they are farish, farish have changed their design. I looked on Shapeways following a recomendation in another thread and there is one seller with these https://www.shapeways.com/product/BHSL3KHHX/nem-coupler-dapol?optionId=17521199&li=marketplace and he mentions the different size pip between Dapol & Farish so I assume its a known issue.

I know Dapol don't sell their rapido couplers, I have asked.

In the picture below its the ones on the left that work fine in Dapol's NEM pockets, anyone recognise them if they are not Farish and know where I can get about 20 from.

Thanks for any help with this

I have a load (120) Farish Short couplings I can swap if you have any of the ones I am after.

You can see in the photo that the standard Farish coupler has much thinner location pips to the not only the one on the left but their own short version.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:55:37 pm by Paul-H »
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
Re: NEM Rapido Couplings help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:59:29 pm »
I found a reliable solution for keeping rakes coupled was to use Dapol's non working buck-eye couplers. For one recalcitrant Farish two car dmu I used glued easi-shunts that had lost their springs, but this doesn't help the finances.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:17:15 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Nemcoups and the Easi-shunts. Have converted all my stock thus. In my experience the Nemcoups are better at staying together than rapidos.  Just make sure the coupler heights are compatible and if not, adjust them.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:59:18 pm »
I am unsure whether it is on this forum, the Forum's Facebook pages or RMWeb that one of my suspicions was confirmed.  The slot in a Dapol NEM pocket is wider than a Farish and their NEM Rapidos correspondingly thicker.  Which is another reason Farish NEM couplers are usually loose in a Dapol pocket.  Apart from what is well described here. I have found thickening them and levelling them with a slither of styrene sheet can help.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:13:47 am »
What I have found is that for some reason Farish now make the location pips thinner on their standard couplers as can be seen in the photograph above, the old one on the left has the same size pips as the short one on the right, but the middle one the pips are thinner, this also gives some issues with Farish NEM  pockets, my class 20 only takes the ones with thicker pips.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:04 am »
Found it.  December 2017 on RM Web I commented on the apparent  difference between Dapol and farish NEM pockets.  Here is the link which shows the helpful feedback I received.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129486-how-to-re-height-couplers/

Hope it helps someone

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here