!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?  (Read 487 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »

So, what's occurring?

We'll, I've been looking out for an outside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis on eBay for sometime now, and the 2-6-0 above, a non-running Bachmann USRA,) seemed promising. Stripped down, the motor turned OK, so I tracked down the problem to the ballast weight shorting out the split chassis.

However, with the body off, the motor was clearly set too far back for a small shunter. I thought about the Welsh coal tanks and not wanting a GWR design, settled on Barry Railway prototypes, noting their similarity to Grafar GP Tanks. One in particular caught my eye because of its chassis, the K Class:

Barry 117

Barry 119

It turns out that these half dozen engines were US built and that they spent their time banking coal trains... Sometimes projects choose themselves!

Anyway, lots more digging and mulling to be done before getting out the saws and files...

Mike

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:54:34 pm by maridunian »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:27:22 pm »
Do I understand you right? You want to superimpose those two locos in your post?
Use the 2-6-0 chassis of the Bachmann as a 0-6-2 chassis and the modified 0-6-0 tender body for the K-class?

Or just add the "2-" truck to the 0-6-0 tender to make it a 0-6-2?
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:15:39 pm »
Do I understand you right? You want to superimpose those two locos in your post?
Use the 2-6-0 chassis of the Bachmann as a 0-6-2 chassis and the modified 0-6-0 tender body for the K-class?

Yes, that's the plan, but I'm trying to get a drawing of the K Class before I start hacking about. The "Shredded Wheat" loco is an unpowered version of the Grafar "GP Tank", so discarding its chassis is no big deal. The leading pony wheels of the 2-6-0 are ludicrously small, so I'll make a new trailing pony truck with spoked wagon wheels.

Mike

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:14 am »
A pictorial record of Great Western Absorbed Engines by J H Russell has the diagram in, in both its original design and rebuilt version. I know because I own a copy. I could try scanning it and emailing you a copy, if you want to try that?

Regards

Rob.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:45:18 am »
Thank you Rob - that would be very kind. It's very hard to know where such things might be found without being able to browse many, many titles, often out of print. I'll PM you my address.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:30 pm »
Thanks again to @Jollybob for kindly sharing some general arrangement drawings of the Barry K class.

The length over headstocks was 32ft. The Grafar GP Tank measures approximately 66mm with the 'extra' being ahead of the smokebox. This feels like a very do-able project ...

Watch this space ...

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 01:41:09 pm »
Ok, well, some more mulling and doodling inches me towards actual surgery ...

I use Google Slides (MS Powerpoint equivalent, but free) to manipulate drawings and photographs. @Jollybob kindly sent me a PDF drawing. With this on my PC's screen, I took a screenshot ([Ctrl][PrtSc]) then pasted that into Paint. In Paint, I cropped the area I needed, then saved the side elevation as a JPEG file. I photographed the GP Tank bodyshell lying on a sheet of paper from about 2' away, then cropped that JPEG in Paint also.

The two images were then Inserted into a slide, and scaled to a common size (5mm to the foot) given their known "real" lengths (32' and 33').

To decide where to cut and shut, I've aligned them and drawn lines along the edges of the Barry K's main features, one slide for verticals and a second for horizontals. I should say that I've already checked that the USRA chassis and motor will more-or-less fit within the GP bodyshell.

Right, now where's that razor saw? ....

Mike

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »
I think that your very brave to be tackling an engine like this, although it has got me thinking about having a go at an 0-6-2t using a Grafar body.   :hmmm:

Rob.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »
Well, the USRA was 12 and the GP Tank 10, so if I mess up the bodywork and have to start again, I'm not much out of pocket. Spares & repair GP tanks often go for less.

I noticed this model elsewhere which seems GP Tank based. Langley sell a kit of parts (last item on page) to make something similar. I guess your book will have the drawings for these too?

Mike

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:47:38 pm by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America? Barry K Class Coal Tank
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:16 pm »
Here's the initial carve up of the GP Tank body. Footplate and splashers removed forward of side tanks. Front and back plates of cab removed. Bunker top removed and set aside. Firebox removed to rear of new cab front sheet position.

And a first fit to the chassis. The motor's still a long way back and i have punctured the bunker for its bearing. The wheelbase is 11' rather than the K Class's 14', but the new cab front sheet is level with the back of the last driver and the trailing pony wheels will align with the cab doorway.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:22:50 am by maridunian »

Offline Jollybob

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »
Well, the USRA was 12 and the GP Tank 10, so if I mess up the bodywork and have to start again, I'm not much out of pocket. Spares & repair GP tanks often go for less.

I noticed this model elsewhere which seems GP Tank based. Langley sell a kit of parts (last item on page) to make something similar. I guess your book will have the drawings for these too?

Mike

Yes. Most of the welsh companies used 0-6-2 tank engines and there must be over a fifty diagrams of just 0-6-2 in the book. The Rymney Railway R class is, I think what the Langey kit is based on but there are many others that can be made.
If your using the shredded wheat body then I would base it on the Barry Railway B class. But that's just my personal preference.

Rob.  :D

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:34 pm »
Further hacking about, including rounding off the  boiler forward of the tanks and the firebox. Bunker extended a little and new cab sides added from 40thou plastic card.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 06:20:40 pm »
Side panels smoothed down and cab front and back sheets added from 40thou plastic card.

Once the cement set, front and back sheets plus residual roof were re-profiled:

Progress gradual, but I'm enjoying working with polystyrene and using ancient Airfix model skills!

Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:46:44 pm by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
Windows drilled and filed:

Mike

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
Re: Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:45 pm »
Such a transformation...  Looking forward to your updates.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything