!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Anyone know the Arduino Nano?  (Read 738 times)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Anyone know the Arduino Nano?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
I suppose you have thought of reverting to the old Uno + 5v to try but rejected cos that is nolonger extant !  :no:  :)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 08:41:47 pm »
The suspenders are killing :)

I have bought some Nano on ebay (just to see how they differ from the Uno that I used to know* , well at 3 for a tenner UKsource how could I refuse!)  but dont hold your breath cos my oscilloscopes are packed away in the attic and need excavating ;)

* meanwhile the Arduino cognoscenti have changed the bootloader in the latest versions and IDE so older (and cheaper Chinese) versions need attention in "Tools" if anyone is having troubles.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:11:06 pm by MalcolmInN »

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2018, 10:01:45 pm »
So armed with new transistors and a renewed thirst after a trip to a model railway exhibition this weekend I managed a couple of hours in the man cave tonight. Before you get excited..... itís not really a conclusion but enough for me to make a decision;

First thing I did was swap out the transistor and turn the power on. 0v across the rails regardless of where the pot was and no load on the track! Now I was really confused!!!

Resoldered a couple of suspect looking joints to the pcb and still nothing. Bearing in mind itís all soldered, swapping to the old Uno was not simple so I cut the 4 cables in half and joined them up with the old Uno that ran the original circuit in the video....... no voltage again! By now I was ready to give up but in desperation I soldered another of the new transistors the opposite way around and finally we had life!!!

The trouble is that running on the 9v battery there was only around 7v on the track whilst it was running so not enough juice. I wired the nano back in to test it now I know that the pcb circuit is fine and in a moment of madness I connected my 12v supply to the battery connector by hand. I just wanted to see it run through the nano. With all the swapping and changing and disconnecting/reconnecting of the track I was in the mindset of; polarity doesnít matter as the loco will just go the other way.... of course this isnít true with the arduino feed  :doh: a puff of smoke later and the Nano was dead.  :censored:

However; taking the positives from tonight - the circuit works with the loco in question and I have no reason to think that the nano wouldnít have worked fine if I hadnít been such a numpty! I have seen enough to move on from the comedy of errors and continue with the layout knowing that I can revisit this later with more confidence.  :dunce: :beers:

Thanks again for all of the sugggestions.  :NGF:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:04:19 pm by Pjlons83 »
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2018, 10:44:03 pm »
The trouble is that running on the 9v battery there was only around 7v on the track whilst it was running so not enough juice.
I have read some notes on the npn versus mosfet setup for the PWM... and they all said, that one would loose about 2V using the npn setup. Unfortunately most of the available shields do not use mosfets...

Sorry for your Nano.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »
of course this isnít true with the arduino feed  :doh: a puff of smoke later and the Nano was dead.  :censored:
Thanks for the update,
Oh bad luck OM,
we have all had a whiff of the magic smoke from time to time, consider it a badge of honour :)

Actually I did think earlier in the topic that BJTs are often symmetrical except for a loss of gain sometimes, sadly not Nanos !

Not to worry, as I found they are remarkably cheap, even more so if we suspenders for China delivery.

If you are wanting an even smaller space similar device check out the Digispark

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 06:40:07 am »
of course this isnít true with the arduino feed  :doh: a puff of smoke later and the Nano was dead.  :censored:
Thanks for the update,
Oh bad luck OM,
we have all had a whiff of the magic smoke from time to time, consider it a badge of honour :)

Actually I did think earlier in the topic that BJTs are often symmetrical except for a loss of gain sometimes, sadly not Nanos !

Not to worry, as I found they are remarkably cheap, even more so if we suspenders for China delivery.

If you are wanting an even smallehr space similar device check out the Digispark
You mean the ATTiny85?
I think the disadvantage of that cute packaging is that you need to supply its voltage correct from the outside. Not like the Nano where you can feed 9volt and it will regulate that to its desired 3.3
=================
have a disney day

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 09:33:50 am »
You mean the ATTiny85?
No, the Digispark (which does use an Attiny85) it has on-board 5v reg and can be powered variously :-

Quote from http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/quickref

VIN pin takes 7-12v (6-32 may work but over 12 will probably need some heat sinking) and can output 500ma (but over 100-200 might need some heat sinking)

5V pin takes 4.5-5.5v (3v+ may work, but not supported)

USB connector takes 5v (4.5-6v may work but not supported)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:35:37 am by MalcolmInN »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 09:46:09 am »
Surfing around for the Digispark I chappened to find this SparkFun motor driver, which looks promising...

with headers: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14450
w/o headers: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14451
hookup tutorial: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tb6612fng-hookup-guide?_ga=2.202911763.349405017.1541496516-1473555781.1540817692

contains 2 H-bridges --> would allow to independent circuits on the layout
power for the motors: 2.2V - 13.5V (continouous: up to 1.2A; burst up to 3.2A) --> should fit most of our locos  :)
logic-level: 2.7V - 5.5V --> fits all Arduinos
PWM input: up to 100kHz --> more than the arduinos can deliver

HTe H-bridges are Mosfet types... so they should be significantly more efficient.

At prices around 5 USd that might save quite a bit of work and risk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:10:08 am by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2018, 10:00:36 am »
This thread is 4 pages long now, so I'm thinking I'm missing the point!

I have been under the understanding that the nano is the same as the Uno, but smaller.

:hmmm: ???
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »
the point!

nano is the same as the Uno, but smaller.
The original point was answered/solved in page 1 :) I think the point now is that we are 'chewing the cud' ( I dunno how that will translate for Alexander  ;D  )

same as    similar to,   Smaller and with fewer functions.

PWM input: up to 100kHz --> more than the arduinos can
The arduino's default frequencies are 490Hz and 980Hz  !!  **   I am not competent to advise if this is OK for coreless use.

With a bit of fancy programing the timer divisors can be changed to get the pwm freq. into the kHz range but doing so will mess with the delay() and millis() functions if they are being used elsewhere.

** The frequency of the PWM signal on most pins is approximately 490 Hz. On the Uno and similar boards, pins 5 and 6 have a frequency of approximately 980 Hz.
from https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/analog-io/analogwrite/

for the die-hard arduino tinkerer the base frequencies of the timers in question are ~31kHz and ~62kHz with available divisors of 1, 8, 64, 256, and 1024 and 1, 8, 32, 64, 128, 256, and 1024.

Phew ! my head Hertz. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:36:45 pm by MalcolmInN »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
the point!

nano is the same as the Uno, but smaller.
The original point was answered/solved in page 1 :) I think the point now is that we are 'chewing the cud' ( I dunno how that will translate for Alexander  ;D  )
Aunt google (as she is called here in the heart of europe) told me that it is something I know well, living in the country of cattle, milk, cheese and other ruminant-related products
--- learned a new trick 
:NGF:

PWM input: up to 100kHz --> more than the arduinos can
The arduino's default frequencies are 490Hz and 980Hz  !!  **   I am not competent to advise if this is OK for coreless use.

With a bit of fancy programing the timer divisors can be changed to get the pwm freq. into the kHz range but doing so will mess with the delay() and millis() functions if they are being used elsewhere.

** The frequency of the PWM signal on most pins is approximately 490 Hz. On the Uno and similar boards, pins 5 and 6 have a frequency of approximately 980 Hz.
from https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/analog-io/analogwrite/

for the die-hard arduino tinkerer the base frequencies of the timers in question are ~31kHz and ~62kHz with available divisors of 1, 8, 64, 256, and 1024 and 1, 8, 32, 64, 128, 256, and 1024.

Phew ! my head Hertz. :)
Well 490 (980) Hz is quite a bit less than the 100kHz max of that little shield... so it should fit
=================
have a disney day

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2018, 02:58:56 pm »
here in the heart of europe

Well 490 (980) Hz is quite a bit less than the 100kHz max of that little shield... so it should fit
Yes indeed it should, my concern was more to do with if those frequencies would fit with the safe functioning of coreless motors !

The more I think about this the more appealing the simplicity of a 555 timer chip is to do power control via pwm  :(

PS yes, some of your very fine cheeses do arrive in this small island on the edge of Europe, but a bit expensive by the time they get here ! :)
PPS we often conjugate the verb 'to ruminate' both agriculturally and conversationally. :)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2018, 01:39:06 am »
You mean the ATTiny85?
I think the disadvantage of that cute packaging is that you need to supply its voltage correct from the outside. Not like the Nano where you can feed 9volt and it will regulate that to its desired 3.3
So, prompted by your question, I have done some digging

(I realise that I am in danger of straying into page5 ?! so those of a nervous disposition ( @Bealman )  should abandon ship now :) )

The Attiny85 is remarkably tolerant of supply voltage - typically 2.7 to 5.5 volts so quite a few punters choose to supply it with just 2 or 3 AA cells , no fancy reg.cct
In fact if you source the  'V' suffix they go down to 1.8v supply (though I think they may be limited to 10MHz clock, not a problem for us ?! )
and I think, if I am understanding the spec sheet correct, they have a brown-out watchdog cct, so graceful shutdown and recovery in the event your battery dies.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:46:52 am by MalcolmInN »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:22 am »
PS yes, some of your very fine cheeses do arrive in this small island on the edge of Europe, but a bit expensive by the time they get here ! :)
PPS we often conjugate the verb 'to ruminate' both agriculturally and conversationally. :)
GB, CH and possibly others could revive the EFTA and then those cheeses could become cheaper, the same as your whisk(e)ys here in the heart of Europe (that often feels (fortunately) very much on the outside of Europe).
=================
have a disney day

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here