!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Yard Crane from the "bits and bobs" pile  (Read 117 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A Yard Crane from the "bits and bobs" pile
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:39:32 pm »
Hello,

I had the itch to build something tonight and I've been looking recently at Yard Cranes. I like the simplicity of the Ratio 214 Crane;

(Thanks to Hattons for the image)

And after some googling I found this image that I liked;

(Thanks to ribblevalleyrail.co.uk for this image)

I raided the bits-and-bobs boxes to see what I could find. I had some old Meccano bits that I picked up at a car boot sale some time ago and an old DVD player drawer part that had some plastic cogs in it;

After a couple of hours "playing" I came up with this;

It needs a lot more thought but it was enough to inspire me to stick with it and add more detail. I'll drill some holes in the large cog and find something for a small pulley on the end of the boom. Since doing this tonight I've found @maridunian 's great thread on building his cranes so that has given me some more ideas too.

It's very much work in progress from here so I've started this thread to inspire me to keep going with it and invite any thoughts or tips from the more experienced scratch builders of the NGF  :NGF:

It's tempting to just buy the ratio kit as I've found it for under a fiver but that wouldn't be as much fun now would it!  8) 

Thanks for looking
Paul
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:01:02 pm by Pjlons83 »
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Yard Crane from the "bits and bobs" pile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:14:58 am »
Thanks Paul. Here's something similar at Beamish Colliery:

Mike