!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 991 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »

I shall refrain from posting a picture of the chair as I assume you are all familiar with such things  :)

Yes, of course, one of these:

Sorry!

John

Made me laugh John. Cheers mate!  :thankyousign:

Alec.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
Made me laugh John. Cheers mate!  :thankyousign:

Alec.
Don't you mean chairs!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 08:48:08 pm »
Not too much progress lately, trouble is I've loose laid all the track and despite the best of intentions I sit for ages running my trains. I've been assessing bits and pieces off the old layout to see if they'll do a job on the new one. Some are fine, some I've binned.

Back in the spring I was much taken with a Faller N gauge station model. I thought I'd buy it as a first step to the new layout. I had the idea that I could make it look acceptably British. Jacking the whole thing up to compensate for the low level platforms the Germans use would be easy enough and maybe a bit of paint here and there and British station signs and Robert would be your aunties husband.

Darn flash keeps going off on my cheapy phone, so picture is poor. I've built it well enough and in a good light its a very imposing model. However, I've changed my mind. Its going to sit in a townscape of Metcalfe terraced houses, a 1970s block of flats and the Queen Vic pub. It was quite an expensive model, but if I use it, I'll keep thinking it doesn't look right.

Pretty much on the same theme I busied myself with designing some station signs. I was very proud of the ones on my old layout as they were accurate representations of NSE signs but they are not going to sit right on this "Rule 1 applies" layout. So as not to further confuse the issue with various liveried trains pulling up at the stations I've come up with this rather generic design.

I reckon downhill and a following wind, I could have this layout finished in way under 8 years  :worried:

Alec.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 09:35:21 pm »
Now where on earth did you get the idea for a station like that, Alec?  :D   :D

lookin' good!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:05 pm »
Thanks for showing the guys a good photo of the station Nick. It is a cracker!

I really must dig out my DSLR (and then spend hours trying to remember how to use it properly).

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 08:38:17 am »
Not too much progress lately, trouble is I've loose laid all the track and despite the best of intentions I sit for ages running my trains.

I think that's one of life's little pleasures, Alec.  Sometimes my best intention is simply to sit and watch the trains run past!

It's also a spiffing way of testing that your track plan works for you in reality, before you 'nail' it all down.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 01:18:08 pm »

It's also a spiffing way of testing that your track plan works for you in reality, before you 'nail' it all down.

Best wishes.

John

Thanks for that John. I spent many hours thinking about the operational possibilities. For me its the most important part. I've got a roundy roundy part, an out and back to a terminus and also the fiddling about in my four lane siding.
In playing with operating my trains I've already made one minor improvement and am keeping an eye on a potential troublesome spot before making a final decision on it. I bought a right hand crossover to incorporate into this new layout. In effect its a back to back pair of #4 Kato points. I had avoided using #4's on the previous layout after reading of other Kato user's derailing/stalling problems. I've only had two derailments in about a week of using the layout so far, but these were totally unknown on my old set up. (One derailment may have been more to do with the peculiar close gangway connection on the Dapol 156 DMU than any problem with the rails).
I'm mindful that the crossover is just before a curve so moving it away 200mm or so might sort it.
The jury is out unless it happens again.

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 09:07:55 pm »
I'm mindful that the crossover is just before a curve so moving it away 200mm or so might sort it.
The jury is out unless it happens again.

I think that's a good idea, Alec.

On the Table-Top Railway (MkIII), which has Kato 'Unitrack', I found that facing points after a curve could be troublesome even although they are #6.  It was steam locomotives that occasionally ended up on the ballast.  I experimented with straight track pieces and found that 45mm was the minimum length to avoid bother.

On my US layout, with mostly Kato locomotives, no such difficulties were encountered.  Kato track and trains used together is a wonderful system.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything