!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 982 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 09:03:28 am »
I worry a bit about the flat baseboard. Very restrictive for scenery.

Trick is to lay the track on shaped track beds and let the landscape go up or down.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:59 pm »
I worry a bit about the flat baseboard. Very restrictive for scenery.

Greywolf/Bealman,

I've no real plans for raised areas. The layout is to be essentially a townscape. I might endeavour to have part of an outer curve in a shallow cutting and maybe a park area in a central position that maybe less than flat.

Alec.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:15 pm »
Haven't I taught you anything yet Alec?  Open frame boards, lots of DC wiring, code 55 track, proper German trains.....    :D  :D   

Will have to pop round at some point and see what you're up to first hand.  Take it easy!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 09:54:41 pm »
Haven't I taught you anything yet Alec? 
Open frame boards  Maybe next time!
lots of DC wiring  No! Absolutely no!
code 55 track Kato don't do code 55   ::)
proper German trains  Nah...you can't beat good old British   :P

Will have to pop round at some point and see what you're up to first hand. You're always welcome Nick......Alec.
Take it easy!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 10:41:26 pm »
I broke up my old layout today. Had to be done, I've enjoyed using it. I'm hoping that I've learned a few things along the way with its construction.

One really big benefit of Kato track is that every piece on the layout will be used again on the new one. Just a little light wipe down and gentle pressure to remove any ballast or grass from the track bed shoulder.

Not a great photo but the Farningham Central station (Metcalfe kit) is to be used again on the new layout. I had ballasted along the front of the platform a while ago. In fact it was only the ballast that was holding the track in place. The station however, I'd fixed down with double sided tape. Goodness it was really anchored down. Had to be really careful not to damage the building in my efforts to release it.

A little more work to do on the baseboard, hopefully tomorrow, and then it'll be time to lay the track to plan, mark out and drill the holes for the track power connectors and the wires from the turnouts back to their control switches.

Alec.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:42:52 pm by Invicta Alec »

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 08:18:33 pm »
Well the baseboard is done. I will gladly confess that this is mostly the work of my son who is very meticulous with his woodworking. The expression "that'll do" is not in his vocabulary, it has to be exact.

Since my heart surgery I'm now very much the tradesman's goffer. Aside from getting the next bit of wood / keeping the pencils sharpened / searching for the correct drill bit etc there isn't too much I can do. Bending down low to paint a skirting board for example is almost impossible.

The top surface is 12mm mdf. I purchased the mdf from Wickes, with my usual discontented mutterings about their price structure. They sell a 4ft x 2ft sheet for a few pennies under £11. That's a lot of money for that size. I needed 3 so around £33 in total. Alternatively they will sell you a full size 8ft x 4ft sheet for only £19.50! Trouble is it won't fit into my Peugeot 208  :( They will deliver full size sheets of course but the charge is £35. Rant over.

This second picture is one of the supporting kitchen cabinets showing the face plate which the NCE Powercab cable plugs into. Very neat.

Alec.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:20:53 pm by Invicta Alec »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 08:26:11 pm »
12mm MDF - blimey that's thick old stuff!   Horrible for pinning stuff into.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »
Nice looking space though. Ideal for a loco depot, and it just so happens I have this Fleischmann turntable and 6 road engine shed that's been kindly donated......

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 08:38:36 pm »
12mm MDF - blimey that's thick old stuff!   Horrible for pinning stuff into.

Pins Nick? What will I use pins for? Certainly not the track.  :no:

Alec

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:00 pm »
The day started brightly enough with this rather natty tray/enclosure to house my turnout control switches.

Got a bit ahead of myself because I wanted to see a loco making a lap of the mainline around the edge of the loose laid track. Its only temporary guys.....honest!

Oh, so the wires are meant to go underneath the baseboard??  :doh:

Don't worry chaps, I'll get it sorted.  :)

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
I suppose we all have our favourite aspects of the hobby. I certainly know one fellow who claims that wiring is his favourite part. I think you are probably in a minority Nick!  ;D (known on this forum as ntpntpntp).

Nick is very experienced and some of his electrickery I've witnessed is as excellent as it is clever. For us lesser mortals though its a necessary evil.

My new layout, Saxon Street, is DCC powered Kato track but  I've retained the DC Kato power supply solely to run my turnouts. I have 7 turnouts, 1 right hand crossover and 1 double (or scissors) crossover. Here is a less than exciting picture of the psu hidden in one of the cupboards supporting the layout.

The track power connectors on Kato track are simple twin wires coloured blue and white. My knowledge extends to knowing that all the blue ones must connect to one terminal and all the white ones to the other. More riveting pictures........

All this work is necessary to finally achieve this neat arrangement of the NCE Powercab handset hanging ready for action within arms length of my comfy height adjustable office type swivel chair. I shall refrain from posting a picture of the chair as I assume you are all familiar with such things  :)

I wish I could say it all worked first time but I did have one track power connector (Unijoiner) ar*e about face and the system tripped. Once reversed I tested all routes and satisfied myself that I had sufficient and properly positioned power connectors, so no dead bits of track anywhere and that the turnout control switches operated the expected turnout!

So, as far as I'm concerned the hard graft is finished and necessary crawling around under the baseboard has been completed. Now I'm looking forward to running a few trains around the bare layout and to start to position some of the old buildings from the previous layout and to work out what new items need to be built. Before any of that though I'll be looking at buying some backscenes to fit first. Any recommendations chaps?

Alec.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 09:45:51 pm »
More riveting pictures........

They're not rivets!!! You've cheated and used screws! :telloff:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 11:01:26 pm »

Curses! Does nothing escape you?
I'm as hopeless with a rivet gun as I am with soldering irons so I shall screw to my heart's content  :drool:

Alec.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 09:11:25 am »

Curses! Does nothing escape you?
I'm as hopeless with a rivet gun as I am with soldering irons so I shall screw to my heart's content  :drool:

Alec.

:laughabovepost: Me too.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »
That's wonderful progress, Alec.

Very neat work indeed.  Thank you for the photographs.

I shall refrain from posting a picture of the chair as I assume you are all familiar with such things  :)

Yes, of course, one of these:

Sorry!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here