!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 990 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« on: October 20, 2018, 08:47:10 pm »
Me Lordz, laydeez and gen'lmen, pray silence please! ...........

Take notice that yours truly is about to embark on a new layout. Kindly note that I'm starting this new topic with much trepidation. In this section of the forum, many have gone before with with glorious threads that have attracted much informed debate, received hundreds of positive comments and generally served to enhance our hobby. Am I good enough to join such exalted company? Can I even work out how to point a camera at the right bits or to adequately explain myself? We'll see.

I've only made one layout since coming back into the hobby after a thirty year break in January 2017. I realised this spring that I would never finish the layout. I wanted to start again with a new improved version benefiting from what I had learned so far.

Then I had my heart attack. One six hour triple bypass operation later and I'm well enough now (hopefully) to begin.

I've been allowed the fourth bedroom for my new layout on the understanding that it can still be pressed into service as a guest bedroom when needed.

Lessons learned from first layout.

1. The part of the hobby I enjoy most of all is simply watching my trains trundle through my layout. An end to end on its own would drive me nuts, so I need the roundy roundy aspect so my DMUs/EMUs can circle around the main line while I'm sending my bubble cars out and and back on the branch line.
2. Electrickery defeats me. All this block control wiring, insulfrog, electrofrog, insulating rail joiners etc. etc. You brave chaps who run D.C. systems have my admiration. DCC all the way for me and (risking the wrath of purists) nicely joined up to the simple to understand Kato Unitrack. Kato Unitrack with its built in point motors, bliss! Kato Unitrack that saved my sanity!  :claphappy: Ok, I'll learn how to disguise its alleged "toy like" appearance.
3. With my first layout I had this vague notion of making a layout that spanned the blue/grey era transitioning to Network South East which would give me a reasonable amount of options but its still restricting. We never had 150s, 122s, 153s or 170s down here in deepest Kent (as far as I'm aware) so for that reason alone Saxon Street as I've indicated in the title will be an R.O.A (Rule One Applies) layout. I'll try to keep it reasonable of course but it irks me that whereas I can easily find a Jowett Javelin and a Mark 9 Jag for my layout, where are all the Cavaliers and Sierras of that period?

Decorating the room is 95% complete. Baseboard construction can start in a few days time.

Meanwhile, here is a sketch of the proposed layout.

Alec.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:32:59 pm by Invicta Alec »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
I'm glad you recognise that DCC is much simpler than DC.  Only one power bus for the whole layout.  No isolators, no multiple controllers, etc.  And if you use uni-frog type points (I know nothing about Kato) there is no need for IRJs.  So it's comparatively straight forward.  And roundy-roundy really does have its advantages.  It looks like a good decision! :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:38:13 pm »
I like it. The only thing I'd do is make the station loop longer and remove the point where you have it starting.................

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:41:04 pm »
Great to hear you have recovered from what must have been a harrowing experience.

It looks like a fun plan!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 02:35:04 am »
Hi Alec,

All sounds interesting and looking forward to your build.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:09 am »
Hi Alec,
All sounds interesting and looking forward to your build.
Cheers weave  :beers:

Wot he said! Good luck Sir and will be following along.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:31 am »
Looks very good to me.
Keep the updates coming.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:37:32 am »
That looks like an excellent plan, Alex.  I look forward to seeing how it progresses, please.

I agree completely about the fun of watching trains running.

Kato track is a really good system.  In my experience (usual disclaimer), it is best to avoid the #4 points.  It is also worth thinking about how you will easily replace a point if the motor fails.  Two failed on my US layout between 2011 and 2014.  None have failed since, but the layout is rarely used.

I think DC and DCC each have their advantages.  I wired the US layout for DC and used a combination of the route selecting Kato points, occasional use of insulated 'Unijoiners' and lots of power feeds to end up with a layout that was fun to operate.

For realistic treatment of 'Unitrack', please see @tutenkhamunsleeping 's Capital Lines thread.  It's excellent!

I hope you are well on the way to a complete recovery.

With best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »
I like it. The only thing I'd do is make the station loop longer and remove the point where you have it starting.................

Thank you for the suggestion Newportnobby, but it'll make it too tight for the scenery I have planned for that area.

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »

Kato track is a really good system.  In my experience (usual disclaimer), it is best to avoid the #4 points.

I did a lot of research before changing to Kato on my current layout. The #4 points issue came up so often that I decided to use only #6s. Having said that, my new layout will use a right hand crossover which is in effect two #4 points back to back. Fingers crossed.

I think DC and DCC each have their advantages.
I am running DCC to my track at the moment via an NCE Powercab. I do power the points DC via the Kato controller. I prefer the physical levers of the Kato points switches to manually punching in a code to the Powercab. I also like that they give you a visual reference too.

For realistic treatment of 'Unitrack', please see @tutenkhamunsleeping 's Capital Lines thread.

Yes, I'm very much aware of Steve's efforts on his Capital Lines layout. I'll no doubt pinch the odd idea from him    8)

I hope you are well on the way to a complete recovery.
With best wishes.
John

Thanks mate!

Alec.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:44:07 pm by Invicta Alec »

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:59 pm »
Time to get started folks. Maybe a little unconventional but I started at B&Q by buying two of these.

My thinking is as well as being sturdy supports, I'll be making use of the storage they provide.

44x18mm and 34x34mm timber from Wickes to fix to the walls (note the laser line) and to make the frame.

12mm MDF for the baseboard. 1st piece in position and marked for trimming to size.

That'll do for today methinks.

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
Brilliant progress, Alec, and that laser is a fun gadget.  I've seen these in use, but never used one.

At this rate of progress you'll be finished by Christmas.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:16:08 pm »
Don't forget to drill holes in cross braces to allow wiring to be thread through before you fix the surface down!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:50 pm »
Don't forget to drill holes in cross braces to allow wiring to be thread through............

That was pretty much the next job. Tools were downed, tea was made and tomorrow is another day.  :)

Alec.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 07:38:36 am »
Looking good! A nice clear space. Are you including inclines and lower areas?

On my layout, I went for a 'flat board' which has inclines, but I hadn't allowed for "dropping" the surface ... maybe I'll try that on the NEXT layout.

Cheers  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here