!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Woodland Scenics underlay and fiNetrax/Peco mix  (Read 272 times)

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
Woodland Scenics underlay and fiNetrax/Peco mix
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:02:32 am »
Has anyone used the Woodland Scenics underlay with the British Finescale fiNetrax code 40 range of track while retaining Peco code 55 track in the fiddleyards?

I ask because the height of the two sorts of track is different. When using cork, I understand that it is quite straightforward to use different thicknesses of cork, but, if I understand correctly, the Woodland Scenics product comes in only the one thickness. Has anyone any ideas as to how to overcome and/or experience in overcoming this issue?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Woodland Scenics underlay and fiNetrax/Peco mix
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:00:54 am »
Ditch the WS stuff And use a suitable thickness of cork?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:42:28 am »
Woodland Scenics stuff is available far more cheaply under the brand name Plastazote. I just used card to space out where I’ve used some code 80 points in the fiddle yard.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:55 am »
Ahh, that is very helpful. I note that Plastazole is available in different thicknesses - unfortunately, the thinnest is 3mm, which is the same thickness as the Woodland Scenics N gauge product (which, presumably, is a sensible thickness for N gauge track).

I am not sure that I understand the advice about using card to "space out" code 80 track - presumably, the card would go under the thinner track rather than the thicker track - or am I missing a cunning technique?

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:43:53 am »
Yep, under the code 55.

3mm is probably a bit thick frankly, not so bad for the US where there’s a deep shoulder, and just about ok for UK main lines, but definitely too deep for sidings. I covered the whole board, haven’t ballasted yet, undecided on how to do it.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:17:52 am »
I am not sure that I understand the advice about using card to "space out" code 80 track - presumably, the card would go under the thinner track rather than the thicker track - or am I missing a cunning technique?
I'd say use a layer of thick card (roughly 1mm should be about right) under the Peco in the fiddle yard INSTEAD of the W/S underlay. There's no need scenically for the (expensive) underlay in the F/Y so don't waste it, use a cheaper material!

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:24:49 am »
Agree with that!  :thumbsup:

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:12:07 am »
I used it for sound deadening more than any aesthetic benefit.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:56:43 am »
I think the other way.

The sound of an electric train has never bothered me.

But I like a ballast shoulder
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:19:12 am by Bealman »

Offline John Mac

• 2mm Association Number: 5013
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
I built a test track for exactly this purpose. Finetrax connected to Peco code 55 on woodland scenics underlay.

I had to match the height by packing between the underlay and finetrax with card and paper. It worked fine. Some careful work with a Dremel sanding disk on the wider finetrax track to smooth the lateral alignment of the rails helps.

In the end I went with cork for my layout.  I figured the sound deadening and compliance of the WS underlay is lost when balasting.

I use the same technique with cork. Pack with card and/or paper and smooth out the "joggle" in track gauge with the dremel.

Cheers,

John.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies. The Woodland Scenics underlay has three possible benefits: (1) the sound deadening properties (which possibly evaporate outside the fiddle yard on ballasting); (2) being possibly easier to cut than cork (what are people's experiences of this); and (3) for straight track having the pre-formed shoulder. Is anyone able to assist on the extent to which these are really benefits?

As to packing the difference with card and paper - does this mean putting card and paper under the whole of the fiNetrack track, or just next to the Peco track so as to create a gentle gradient (and if creating a gradient, how tolerant is the stock of this gradient)?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »
Not tried the WS underlay, but I do use cork.  No problem to cut at all.   I buy it as a sheet, and cut 1" strips for general track laying, or use 2x 0.5" strips for curves (easier to bend). I cut the chamfer after laying the track, to accommodate pointwork etc.

Buying as a sheet means I can also cut other shapes to support any buildings and platform faces etc. which need to be sitting on the same level as the track.   
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 10:42:14 pm »
IMO the ballast shoulder is excessive for UK trackbed, more appropriate for US. The single track stuff is awkward at crossovers because the spacing is wrong, and the sheets have no chamfer on the edge.

I definitely wouldn’t use the branded WS roll again (I tried it briefly to test) and I’m not sure I’d bother with the closed cell foam underlay again full stop, for the reasons above. cork is probably easier, and cheaper or just lay straight onto the board!

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 10:56:02 pm »
I definitely wouldn’t use the branded WS roll again (I tried it briefly to test) and I’m not sure I’d bother with the closed cell foam underlay again full stop, for the reasons above. cork is probably easier, and cheaper or just lay straight onto the board!
We used plastazote on Northallerton. I agree almost entirely with njee; it was OK but if I was starting it again I wouldn't lay onto anything but the plywood. I wouldn't use cork.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:16:09 pm »
We used plastazote on Northallerton. I agree almost entirely with njee; it was OK but if I was starting it again I wouldn't lay onto anything but the plywood. I wouldn't use cork.

Cheers
Kirky

Interesting - why would you not even use cork?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything