!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New dcc steam loco  (Read 371 times)

Offline moggy12

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New dcc steam loco
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:43:59 am »
Hi all looking for recommendations for a dcc steam loco with sound and lights I did have a a2 loco but was very unrealable so I need a good steam loco thanks for any suggestions

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: New dcc steam loco
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:40:40 pm »
Difficult to answer that as there are as yet not that many N gauge RTR sound steam locos around. If someone can recommend a reliable DCC ready loco that suits the era and region that you are modelling, one solution would be to visit the "You Choos" site and select a fitting service. Tell them what you want including any lights and option of firebox glow/flicker and they will give you a price. I have found them very reasonable in the past.
See link below:-
http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Fitting
Good luck,
Delboy.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 01:28:15 pm »
Are there any RTR steam locos with lights? I think you'll have to look at a custom commission job as Delboy suggests.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »
Are there any RTR steam locos with lights? I think you'll have to look at a custom commission job as Delboy suggests.

Loads, just not British outline :)

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 01:58:32 pm »

Loads, just not British outline :)

Fair enough Dave. I was assuming British Outline, as the OP mentions having an A2. :beers:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline moggy12

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »
Difficult to answer that as there are as yet not that many N gauge RTR sound steam locos around. If someone can recommend a reliable DCC ready loco that suits the era and region that you are modelling, one solution would be to visit the "You Choos" site and select a fitting service. Tell them what you want including any lights and option of firebox glow/flicker and they will give you a price. I have found them very reasonable in the past.
See link below:-
http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Fitting
Good luck,
Delboy.
thanks guys for the info defo prefer British steam locos so have emailed mark from one of the links to see if some models of steam trains are easier to add sound and lights then others thanks again for the link

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »
@moggy12
The following also do DCC Sound steam locomotives. I had one, (Duchess Of Hamilton ?), converted and an excellent job was done -running lights, firebox glow and crew.
http://www.crsignals.com
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:03 pm »
Hi

Having done quite a few myself, for being easier to fit sound I would recommend any of the Farish loco drive with tender model, with their castle obviously being the easiest as it was made to take sound. The loco drive tender models all have a nice empty tender with all the electrical connections needed to add sound, so to name just a few, Ivatt 2, STD 5MT, 4F, Princess Coronation, Castle, Austerity. Merchant Navy. A bit more work and the Fairburn Tank is doable.

With the Tender drive models like the Black 5, Tornado and 4MT etc there is not realy enough room to get a decent speaker in so sound levels are disappointing

I have done all the above so they are doable, but never added any lights or firebiox glow, thats one step too far gor my ageing fingers and eyes.

Diesels thankfully are much easier.

One other good thing with the tenders of their loco drive models is that there is enough room for a Hornby TTS decoder and sugarcube speaker, if you can find an appropriate one, or one that's close enough not to matter.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline moggy12

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:47:27 am »
Hi

Having done quite a few myself, for being easier to fit sound I would recommend any of the Farish loco drive with tender model, with their castle obviously being the easiest as it was made to take sound. The loco drive tender models all have a nice empty tender with all the electrical connections needed to add sound, so to name just a few, Ivatt 2, STD 5MT, 4F, Princess Coronation, Castle, Austerity. Merchant Navy. A bit more work and the Fairburn Tank is doable.

With the Tender drive models like the Black 5, Tornado and 4MT etc there is not realy enough room to get a decent speaker in so sound levels are disappointing

I have done all the above so they are doable, but never added any lights or firebiox glow, thats one step too far gor my ageing fingers and eyes.

Diesels thankfully are much easier.

One other good thing with the tenders of their loco drive models is that there is enough room for a Hornby TTS decoder and sugarcube speaker, if you can find an appropriate one, or one that's close enough not to matter.

Paul
most useful thank you paul for the list will have a look

Online Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:37:38 am »

I fitted my Tornado with a You Choos Minnow 6 and 4 x 330 uF tanatalums and associated pcb in the loco body where there is quite a bit of space. 4 wires through the cab, but you donít really notice, or I donít anyway. It sounds better than some of my other ones with larger speakers, perhaps a particularly good sound project.  The stay alives have transformed the loco from being somewhat unreliable, much the same at the A2 in the OP, mostly due to tie bar issues I think. An A2 is my next project, hoping it will be similarly improved.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 11:31:30 am »

I fitted my Tornado with a You Choos Minnow 6 and 4 x 330 uF tanatalums and associated pcb in the loco body where there is quite a bit of space. 4 wires through the cab, but you donít really notice, or I donít anyway. It sounds better than some of my other ones with larger speakers, perhaps a particularly good sound project.  The stay alives have transformed the loco from being somewhat unreliable, much the same at the A2 in the OP, mostly due to tie bar issues I think. An A2 is my next project, hoping it will be similarly improved.
Hi Bramshot,
Thanks for the info but did you use the thin but tall Tantalums or the wide but flat ones?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 01:43:41 pm »
I used the yellow wide / flat ones. Placed side by side and wire soldered along all 4 top and bottom to connect in parallel and hold them together, then put the SACC16 pcb alongside them, with the extra bits where you can solder caps to snapped off and discarded. Caps wires connected to the pcb.

However, I think the other ones would work as well. I have ordered the kit for the A2 and that is a bit more restricted for space, so I think the narrow tall ones might be a better fit in there. I still hope I can get a Minnow 6 in there too, even though the installation guide for A2 says Minnow 4.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:49:56 pm by Bramshot, Reason: Add photo »

Offline doug22150

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 09:52:11 am »
I agree with Delboy. I've fitted DCC sound from Youchoos in 4 locos. now - Farish Castle, Merchant Navy, Standard 5 and a Dapol 9f. I didn't go for the lights option but the decoders allow for that.  Here are a couple of clips of my converted locos:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXIHu8aTII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6PzmgJXKY

Doug

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here