!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Older Farish Mk 1 coaches  (Read 711 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Older Farish Mk 1 coaches
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 07:50:07 am »
Sounds good to me!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:03 am »
Have found a very easy solution. The older style (full 1st) was left as is. It runs sandwiched between 2 full seconds of the latest standard.
:thumbsup:

But... did you "find" this solution in Post #5 above??
could you just change the couplings at the outer ends of the rake and make sure the older coach is one of the inner vehicles, coupled to its neighbours with the standard Rapidos?
;)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 09:04:33 am »
That is indeed a good suggestion, but it would seem that Bob is happy with the arrangement.

What looks right to you is right!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 09:36:10 am »
Just in case anyone was thinking of fitting Dapols NEM pockets to their stock, I found an issue with them.

Although they work fine with Dapol couplers, (Rapido, Magnetic and Nemcoup) as you would expect, they have issues with Farish coupling. The two little pips that lock the coupling in place can be too small on some Farish (but bizzarly not all) couplers so they pull out too easily.

The other issue is there should be a small hump on the top of the couplers shaft that acts on the couplers centering spring keeping the coupler centered  but it's missing from their short coupler making them an unreliable coupler as one can go high in use and if the one it's coupled to goes low it will uncoupler.

After carefully converting all my wagons to NEM pockets I have now had to go back to standard length Rapidos because the short ones I wanted to use gave unreliable coupling.

Paul

Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:28 am »
Although they work fine with Dapol couplers, (Rapido, Magnetic and Nemcoup) as you would expect, they have issues with Farish coupling. The two little pips that lock the coupling in place can be too small on some Farish (but bizzarly not all) couplers so they pull out too easily.

Bachmann's initial offerings of NEM couplers were out of NEM spec. It took a while for them to change this, but it has been now - they are now properly specced.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:56 am »
The other issue is there should be a small hump on the top of the couplers shaft that acts on the couplers centering spring keeping the coupler centered  but it's missing from their short coupler making them an unreliable coupler as one can go high in use and if the one it's coupled to goes low it will uncoupler.

It's not for centering, but to aid pushing the coupler back down. But this is a Dapol addition, again I think non-standard and can make the couplers stiff to raise. I tend to remove it - no Farish coupler heads have this (nor do others, like Fleischmann).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here