!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:29 pm »
Yes, looking good Matt.
As Daffy says, don’t make things too uniform.
It will all look so much better when finished.

Thank you, yes I have high hopes!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:42 pm »
Once you have put a couple of layers of plaster cloth on your hill I think it will be rigid enough to allow you to cut a bigger access hole at the back. Then it would not need to be removable which would make blending it into the rest of the landscape much easier.
Another thought...……..If you extended the sheer rockface across your tracks and redesigned the tunnel portal you could curve the siding and run it into an adjacent single track portal which could be blocked off out of use. This would represent a disused branchline that was now just being used as a siding. You said in an earlier post that you wanted a disused line. :D
John

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:43 pm »
Once you have put a couple of layers of plaster cloth on your hill I think it will be rigid enough to allow you to cut a bigger access hole at the back. Then it would not need to be removable which would make blending it into the rest of the landscape much easier.
Another thought...……..If you extended the sheer rockface across your tracks and redesigned the tunnel portal you could curve the siding and run it into an adjacent single track portal which could be blocked off out of use. This would represent a disused branchline that was now just being used as a siding. You said in an earlier post that you wanted a disused line. :D

Great ideas, thank you, I'll consider them!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:46 pm »
I've started applying the plaster cloth, it's the most fun part of the build so far!  :bounce:. Really glad I followed Swiss Train's suggestion of adding rocks and cliff as that's going to be interesting to model. Will get to work with Polyfilla for those bits.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:03 pm »
looking good

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2018, 09:52:20 pm »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2018, 09:57:15 pm »
Thirded.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:58 am »
I was going to say "cover the track first!" but then remembered your hill is removable.    Good start!   As I've recently mentioned elsewhere on the facebook page;

Make sure you use at least a couple of layers criss-crossed.

Smear the wet plaster so that you cover the all holes in the cloth lattice.

Have a bag of plaster of paris to hand, mix in some brown and black powder paint and use this mix sprinkled and smeared over the wet cloth to create a top layer which won't show pure white if chipped in the future.

Have fun, it's definitely Messy Time!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:48:00 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2018, 07:49:43 am »
I rather enjoy “messy time”.
It’s great to see a mess turn into something that looks good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2018, 01:34:10 pm »
I rather enjoy “messy time”.
It’s great to see a mess turn into something that looks good.

Totally agree!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2018, 01:37:22 pm »
I was going to say "cover the track first!" but then remembered your hill is removable.    Good start!   As I've recently mentioned elsewhere on the facebook page;

Make sure you use at least a couple of layers criss-crossed.

Smear the wet plaster so that you cover the all holes in the cloth lattice.

Have a bag of plaster of paris to hand, mix in some brown and black powder paint and use this mix sprinkled and smeared over the wet cloth to create a top layer which won't show pure white if chipped in the future.

Have fun, it's definitely Messy Time!

Thank you! I've just bought some powder based paint and the plaster of Paris, I've experimented with mixing them and applying to an off-layout tester - seems to work fine and create a nice brown layer.

I did two layers of bandaging, they're not criss crossed but they are ovelapping sections. It's been drying 24 hours. Should I add another criss cross layer on?

Cheers
Matt

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2018, 01:48:16 pm »
@Globi  Matt, most of my plaster bandaging has been done just as you have done and the only 'criss crossing' I have done is when I have been using small pieces to fit. Once everything is dried, I think you will find it is hard and strong enough.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2018, 01:56:46 pm »
@Globi  Matt, most of my plaster bandaging has been done just as you have done and the only 'criss crossing' I have done is when I have been using small pieces to fit. Once everything is dried, I think you will find it is hard and strong enough.  :thumbsup:

Ah smashing thank you!

Matt

Offline Miek

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »
Hi,

This is a great little layout. As others say, everything about the hill / tunnels will look even better when you add stuff around it like trees, rocks, buildings what-ever. It is just that it is the first item and thats what gets the focus if you see what I mean. And also the photos are from a scale helicopter looking down over the layout.

Please can you tell me how are you using on the plaster bandage - is it just water? Also, after this, are you going to be using plaster or polyfiller to go over it?

/*EDIT because I read your post properly :confused1:
What is the paint and plaster you describe*/

Thanks.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:34:36 pm by Miek, Reason: I read your post properly »

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:07 pm »
Hi,

This is a great little layout. As others say, everything about the hill / tunnels will look even better when you add stuff around it like trees, rocks, buildings what-ever. It is just that it is the first item and thats what gets the focus if you see what I mean. And also the photos are from a scale helicopter looking down over the layout.

Please can you tell me how are you using on the plaster bandage - is it just water? Also, after this, are you going to be using plaster or polyfiller to go over it?

/*EDIT because I read your post properly :confused1:
What is the paint and plaster you describe*/

Thanks.
Mike

Thanks Miek, glad you like it! It is my first layout, so I'm learning a huge amount from the guys on this forum. The plaster bandage is really great stuff. I made a rough sub-structure from scrap corrugated cardboard. Then I layered over that with brown paper, glued down with PVA to the sub-structure. With the plaster bandage you just cut sections off the roll, dip it in a shallow water tray and lay it over the brown paper. It seems to take a day or two to dry fully.

Next step I will follow the suggestion to mix powder paint brown/black into plaster of Paris and coat this over the top (initial tests seem good). Rockfaces will be treated seperately with grey coloured plaster. I'll keep posting the progress as it takes place....

Matt

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything