!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 1980 times)

Kaput and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
Great Nick, yes I'm just doing some tests so will opt either for PVA or wood glue. Dis I understand correctly that you also stick the track to the bed with PVA?

Typical white wood glue is usually a PVA formulation anyway (though probably a bit stronger than cheapo trade PVA sold in large containers), folk tend to use the two terms interchangeably (as you can tell I'm guilty of that!)

Yes I glue the track to the cork with a thin smear of PVA.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »
Cheers Nick, good point about the glue.

Another update:

I've been working on getting the final trackwork cut exactly, the area with the crossover was the most tricky because the points which form it are out-of-step so to speak. Quite a lot of head scratching and wrongly-cut rails was required!

Next I've been getting the cork layed down, using the wood glue. I've managed to get the basic angeled-oval well positioned with the corresponding underlay. Just one semi circle to go and after lots and lots of tweaking (with adding and taking glued down cork) - it is actually accurate. I've chamfered the edges of the cork with a scalpel and the result seems pretty good overall. I never imagined these stages would be so challenging - I've found it immensely precise work (if you want it to be accurate) and I don't think I've ever needed to do so much geometry and measuring ever before!

I've also been watching a video on YouTube about thow the real thing is done in prototype, it's fascinating! They seem to roughly lay the section of track by hand, then ballst over it and somehow draw the track up through the ballast, straighten it out and set it on a cantered-angle for the curves - astonishing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYq-OiK4s60

Bye for now,
Matt

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »
Good progress Matt.

And thanks for posting the video link. :thumbsup:  Great footage of a track laying and ballasting operation for the SBB. Nice to see the workings of a Plasser and Theurer machine. I watched one such operation briefly some years back while waiting for a train in the Bernese Oberland, so good to see more of the process.

With all that mechanisation it was good to see there is still room for the lowly man with a rake, and a guy wielding a small folding rule. Also good to see that, unlike the local aggregate shifters (and the farm muck shifters) near me, the lorries being filled with ballast don’t get overloaded so don’t end up decorating the roads! :)

Fixing all that ballast, i wonder how much PVA they get through. ;)

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:44 pm »
Great progress, Matt.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2018, 04:27:40 pm »
Good progress Matt.

And thanks for posting the video link. :thumbsup:  Great footage of a track laying and ballasting operation for the SBB. Nice to see the workings of a Plasser and Theurer machine. I watched one such operation briefly some years back while waiting for a train in the Bernese Oberland, so good to see more of the process.

With all that mechanisation it was good to see there is still room for the lowly man with a rake, and a guy wielding a small folding rule. Also good to see that, unlike the local aggregate shifters (and the farm muck shifters) near me, the lorries being filled with ballast don’t get overloaded so don’t end up decorating the roads! :)

Fixing all that ballast, i wonder how much PVA they get through. ;)

Thanks Daffy - yes they sure must use lots of PVA lol! I like the characters of the guys captured on film actually - yes especially the guy with a rake, and the chap eating pistacho nuts in the cab of his Plasser.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2018, 04:28:13 pm »

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2018, 08:24:06 am »
Speaking of ballast, I'm having trouble sourcing the ideal ballast.

For N gauge I like ballast very fine, with a sand-like grain size. Conistency-wise I like the N gauge ballast from Noch (which is the same as Gaugemaster). I like the rule that there should be 10 grains fitting in a row between each sleeper.

However, I want an even, light/mid-grey colour (not the salt and pepper grey mix like Noch produce). Anybody got any recommendations?

Cheers
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2018, 09:09:22 am »
I've used Woodland Scenics fine light gray B1374  since the 80s.  It's not as fine as sand but gives the look I want.  I prefer to use a light colour which can be darkened down to taste.

Here's an example once weathered

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2018, 09:15:04 am »
I've used Woodland Scenics fine light gray B1374  since the 80s.  It's not as fine as sand but gives the look I want.  I prefer to use a light colour which can be darkened down to taste.

Thanks Nick, that looks a good option! Great pics, love your scenic work!

Matt

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2018, 09:21:01 am »
I notice you have grey concrete sleepers Nick. I'm going to have to paint all my sleepers grey - I have Roco/Fleischmann track with dark brown/black sleepers!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2018, 09:53:09 am »
Like Nick I have always used Woodland Scenics fine ballast. Personally I think that ballast is one of those areas where you have to compromise in N Gauge. Although sand is closer to scale you can't always see the texture from a normal viewing distance and it can look like the track has been set in concrete.
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2018, 10:09:04 am »
I notice you have grey concrete sleepers Nick.

Nope, it's all Peco wooden sleeper track. Just the weathering and lighting makes them look that colour sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:11:00 am by ntpntpntp »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2018, 10:10:13 am »
Although sand is closer to scale you can't always see the texture from a normal viewing distance and it can look like the track has been set in concrete.
Yes absolutely agree, sand can look too fine.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2018, 04:08:58 pm »
Speaking of ballast, I'm having trouble sourcing the ideal ballast.
……………. I like the rule that there should be 10 grains fitting in a row between each sleeper.

Much as I like Woodland Scenics Fine ballast I'm afraid it doesn't meet your strict specification.::)

John

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2018, 04:14:11 pm »

Much as I like Woodland Scenics Fine ballast I'm afraid it doesn't meet your strict specification.::)

Ha ha yes it seems not! On reflection, I think 7 grains/stones is within acceptable parameters. However, if visitors to my layout ever point out the inaccuracy, I'm blaming you guys though! :smiley-laughing:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:15:17 pm by Globi »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here