!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 1982 times)

Kaput and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2018, 10:20:15 am »
Looking really good Matt.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2018, 01:37:04 pm »
Looking really good Matt.

Thank you! At times it feels like utterly no progress is being made though. theres also still so much to do. But I guess it would be boring if that were not the case.

I think having track actually glued down will be a key milestone, I'll get the champers out for a mini celebration then!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2018, 01:47:35 pm »
I hope you trained as a vet - looks like it won't be easy to access all that hidden trackwork for cleaning via what is quite a small access hatch!   :D

When laying cork on straight track and gentle curves I use strips approximately 1" wide , but for tight curves I use two 0.5" strips either side of the centre-line for the curve, that way the cork is easier to bend.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2018, 02:11:37 pm »
I hope you trained as a vet - looks like it won't be easy to access all that hidden trackwork for cleaning via what is quite a small access hatch!   :D

When laying cork on straight track and gentle curves I use strips approximately 1" wide , but for tight curves I use two 0.5" strips either side of the centre-line for the curve, that way the cork is easier to bend.

Hmmm yes hadn't considered cleaning the track. Either I'll have to send some Smurfs in to do it for me, or I'll have to improve access! :-[

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2018, 03:31:38 pm »
On reflection, I'll probably just design the whole hill to lift off like a lid. About a third of the junction between hill and flat will be a retaining wall anyway, so it won't be that noticeable (I think).

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2018, 03:40:41 pm »
Sounds sensible. That’s a fairly big area to access from that one little hole. Especially when it comes to cleaning the track.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2018, 04:10:10 pm »

Hey Nick, would it be OK if I made the strip 25.4mm instead of 1 inch, as it's a continental layout?!  :D

On a serious note, I think you've got a good system there, will report back on how I find it!

Cheers
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2018, 04:38:11 pm »

Hey Nick, would it be OK if I made the strip 25.4mm instead of 1 inch, as it's a continental layout?!  :D

:P    Well let's say 1" nominal, it's usually the width of whatever steel rule I lay my hands on first!   
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
Lol Nick!

I've done a quick tryout and 1" wide cork looks perfect for the track geometry, giving a nice shoulder and space between main lines.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2018, 05:01:24 pm »
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43337.msg536244#msg536244

Ha ha I see this is a recurring question. Generally speaking I've got more experience popping corks than other forms of cork-based activity! :bounce:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
On reflection, I'll probably just design the whole hill to lift off like a lid. About a third of the junction between hill and flat will be a retaining wall anyway, so it won't be that noticeable (I think).

That's a good idea, Matt.

It's helpful to have easy access to all the track on a layout for cleaning and to attend to any derailments.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:37 pm »

Cork is going in following useful advice from Nick. Wow, it does make running sound lovely, smooth and quiet!

I've done a search on this forum for gluing cork down but not much come up. I've heard PVA tends to make the cork hard, so I was thinking of using evo stick flooring glue? Other option is evostick wood glue. It's onto a plywood base - any tips/experiences appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2018, 01:09:36 pm »
PVA works fine for me. I seem to use PVA in various concentrations for just about everything on the layout from the framework through tracklaying to scenery.  The big tubes are also heavy enough to be useful weights whilst the glue dries!

Wickes own brand is my favourite, maybe my imagination but it's always seemed just a little stickier/tackier then some other brands.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2018, 01:20:23 pm »
PVA works fine for me. I seem to use PVA in various concentrations for just about everything on the layout from the framework through tracklaying to scenery.  The big tubes are also heavy enough to be useful weights whilst the glue dries!

Wickes own brand is my favourite, maybe my imagination but it's always seemed just a little stickier/tackier then some other brands.

Great Nick, yes I'm just doing some tests so will opt either for PVA or wood glue. Dis I understand correctly that you also stick the track to the bed with PVA?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything