!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Baseboard height for layout  (Read 334 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Baseboard height for layout
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
In short, I think the best answer is - whatever feels comfortable to you.  Personally I like a high base for when standing at the layout as I have a bad back. Others prefer to sit and will fix layout height to suit that. Also of importance will be the height of scenics etc. As your layout will be on castors, that may make the latter considerations slightly academic, but remember that you have to be able to reach that troublesome loco that has decided to derail at the most inopportune time and distant place.

Table top layout, so table top height - that is a standard dining table - would be my starting point to experiment with what feels right for you.

No point in me attempting to make these points as Mike has phrased it more elegantly than I could manage.

My first Table-Top Railway, a year ago, was at kitchen table height of 800mm/2'8" (it was built on an old kitchen table!).  My present version is 1050mm/3'5" high.  This appears to be my optimum height for viewing whilst seated and for reaching over to the back of the baseboard whilst standing.  This was established, as Mike says, by experiment.   

This looks like a great project and I'll follow progress with interest.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »
My layout at home is 39inches ( 1M)  to basic track level. So from a seated position you will see the trains from a real life level. But the boards are removable so I can work on them all round and at a lower level.

For shows at the moment I'm torn between:

a high level so the average person  ( the majority) can see at a more real to life level  say 4ft 6inches (1.4M)
or
A lower level say 3ft so wheel chair users  and children can see easier.. 

In a perfect world it would be adjustable(quickly) in height.. But some sort of removable  ramp may be possible.

Offline acook

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »
Oooh- adjustable height.

Maybe a set of those Heavy duty Window opening jacks.

Great for setting up on uneven floors.

Must stop thinking.........

Alan

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 09:07:05 am »

Just completing the bracing on the underside of my baseboard. I'm using 9mm plywood and 27x44 pine smooth planed timbers. When test-laying the pine timbers down, I noticed there was indeed a subtle warp in the ply (totally imperceptible otherwise), so glad I'm going through this process to make a super-flat warp-free baseboard for my layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »
If it's not too late remember to drill holes through the cross braces to thread any wiring through

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 12:56:07 pm »
If it's not too late remember to drill holes through the cross braces to thread any wiring through

Oh yes forgot that!  :-[ :-[ :-[
Actually there will be no points (so therefore no point in drilling holes for points ha ha)!

However there will be street lighting/signals etc at some point. So there will be point in doing it.  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything