!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blackpool Tramway Depot  (Read 291 times)

Offline Zephyr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Blackpool Tramway Depot
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »
Hello N Gauge Forum

I've always held a fascination for the Blackpool Tramway. The nostalgic seaside atmosphere is unmistakable and the classic tramcar collection of the Heritage Fleet is one of the finest in the world. As the last first generation tramway of the United Kingdom, the Blackpool system is something special. For many years, I have wanted to create a model railway based in Blackpool. Motorising Corgi trams was an option I considered, but I felt they were too large for my current space constraints.

I then looked at N Gauge, and discovered the acclaimed Thornton Gate by Tom Williamson. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6250.0 His modelling proved that N Gauge trams were a viable and exciting option for those wanting a fresh challenge.

As I want to test my skills before committing to a full-size layout, I am constructing a micro layout set in Blackpool. I looked at a variety of options, and I have decided upon building a small section of a works yard/depot on the tramway. My inspiration comes from pictures of the disused Blundell Street Depot (some of which can be found on the Blackpool Tram Blog http://blackpooltram.blogspot.com/2013/07/blundell-street-depot.html ) as well as the permanent way sidings of Thornton Gate, and course Tom Williamson's impeccable rendition of the site in miniature.

Here are a few images of the project.

As you can see, my layout is the very early stages of construction. The "baseboard" is an old Chanel Perfume box, which is surprisingly rigid. The backscene board is a placemat! I don't think it was ever used anyway, and coincidentally the length of the box and placemat aligned perfectly! My trackplan is a typical fork like in many micro layouts. The scenics on the layout are going to be based on urban decay. Like Thornton Gate, my layout will make use of regular, reserved track which will be grassed over with foliage and debris. There will also be a scrapyard on the layout with two trams awaiting the cutter's torch. No N Gauge Tramway would be complete without the infamous Typhoo Tea Tram! My examples are being painted to resemble withdrawn Blackpool Standards. I have coated them in a cream base, and the green will be added soon. Then they will be heavily weathered to represent their status as condemned vehicles.

I plan to create more Blackpool themed layouts, and I hope everyone can enjoy this thread and add suggestions, comments and ideas which may be useful!

Best Regards  :NGaugersRule:

Zephyr
Modelling the Blackpool Tramway in N Gauge

Follow the journey http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42784.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Blackpool Tramway Depot
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 02:58:43 pm »
Hello Zephyr, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I'm afraid trams don't excite me in the slightest but I have seen Thornton Gate at many a local show and always shared a few words with Tom & Anna. Good luck with your project, and don't be afraid to ask any questions - we all started somewhere!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:26:37 pm »
Welcome aboard.
My knowledge of trams is likewise fairly slim but welcome to the forum and please do ask away with any questions.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
 Sounds great so far, I love a bit of urban decay!

Cheers Jon 😊
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum Zephyr. Sounds like you have got yourself an interesting project.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:54:38 pm »
Hi Zephyr,
Welcome!
I used to go to Blackpool every year as a kid. Fell in love with Balloon trams and remain faithful to the green & cream livery of your avatar.
I, too, plan to make a tramway someday... a stretch of seafront with pier and amusements and the sea. The trams will be almost incidental to the scenery, I hope.
I have some of Tom’s old Balloon tram kits (clear resin) and some of his newer ones cast from a 3d print. Luckily I just got some chassis from Japan - they have been like hen’s teeth!
Just waiting for retirement!
Looking forward to seeing your progress  :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Zephyr

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:54 am »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and interest in my little project! I think it will be quite a quirky layout, but I wanted to create something unique. I will admit that I didn't always find trams to be interesting, but Blackpool slowly started to draw my attention. I do still love regular railways so you may see a mainline layout by me in the near future and I will keep active on the forum.

@Mustermark  - that's brilliant! My aim after building the depot/scrapyard is the seafront. The plan is to have a reserved section with the fencing which leafs onto a paved section. I didn't know @Balloon_726 was still producing the tram kits. The brand new 3D one looks absolutely awesome but the original resin casts do have a charm of their own.

:NGF:

Zephyr

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »
Hi @Zephyr Welcome to NFG and what a entrance you've made!

First off may I say how humbling and flattered I am that you state my Thornton Gate project as an inspiration to yourself.
Being the owner and the creater of the project I never feel as warm or satisfied with my own work as other seem to!

That said your introduction about were your coming from with your project is near identical to were I started coming as an outsider looking in, after 7+ years now people just assume I was always here!

I do very much like your approach to your project and I wish you every success with it.

As for availability of seconds from the Thornton Gate stock builds. Im not commercially active as I once was but people still come to me and copies of the latest 3D print rolling stock has ended up in fellow modellers hands.... If you get what im saying  :D  :angel:

To be honest Im still totally blown away that people wanted what I was building, Im still a bit in shock even now, but it has been an amazing journey to-date and a lot of very good people have reached out over the years.

I will watch your thread with interest! And if I can be of any help then please drop us a line!

PS dont know were you are in the world but Thornton Gates out in two weeks time October 20th in Shrewsbury Shropshire
https://www.chantillygrey.com/shrewsbury-model-railway-show.html

This is our last outing of 2018

All the best,
Tom
 :NGaugersRule: 

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:13 pm »
Hello Zephyr, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I'm afraid trams don't excite me in the slightest but I have seen Thornton Gate at many a local show and always shared a few words with Tom & Anna. Good luck with your project, and don't be afraid to ask any questions - we all started somewhere!

Hmm  :hmmm: but still you come back for more! @Newportnobby   :smiley-laughing:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »
Im slowly working on some Typhoo trams too, I hope you are having better luck than I am with them :)

Offline Zephyr

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 11:57:42 am »

@Balloon_726 Thank you for your kind words! The Thornton Gate thread has always been an enjoyable and inspirational thread, and for my first project I wanted to create something similar in tribute. I'd love to come to Shrewsbury and see Thornton Gate in real life. I don't know whether I'll be able to make it yet, but I'll keep you posted!  :thumbsup:

@paulprice My Typhoo Tea trams are only being painted and weathered, which leaves out the difficult part of drilling an opening for the chassis  :D What type of tram are you looking to build from the Typhoo? A London E3? Or something from further 'up north?  ::)

:NGaugersRule:

Zephyr

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:47:00 pm »

My Typhoo Tea trams are only being painted and weathered, which leaves out the difficult part of drilling an opening for the chassis

Should that read "which (tea) leaves out the difficult part"?  (Sorry  :doh:)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here