!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to make an inexpensive welding simulator for your layout.  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Unclealbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25971
    • Awards
Re: How to make an inexpensive welding simulator for your layout.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 02:25:27 pm »
Another way to achieve an inexpensive welding simulator and have access to many other 'pocket money projects' is to join MERG. 
I have built two welding simulators and I will get around to making the third one into a flourescent light starting up board soon. By adding or removing links the circuit can do welding, flourescent light or pulsing light. 
I have recently built three of their LED dimmer circuits and two random light generators, these switch up to ten LED's on and off in random fashion and make the hotel and terraced house bedroom windows come on and off at an adjustable rate.  Easy to build, cheap to buy, perfect. 
Their free to download electronics manual is one of the best I've seen for novices starting out and for experienced artisan's reference alike.
Allan

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 09:54:23 pm »
A great idea!  I got a yellow tee light, and I would imagine if I got a red one or orange one to go near it, and put it in the forest on my layout, it might look like a camp fire.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 02:37:51 pm »
A great idea!  I got a yellow tee light, and I would imagine if I got a red one or orange one to go near it, and put it in the forest on my layout, it might look like a camp fire.

Andy
UK

Hi Andy,

I am afraid the red led is definitely out, the colour red has such a long wavelength you will not see the flickering as they all blend into each other. I have a feeling the orange might be in the same boat.

If you want red and orange in you camp fire, I would suggest having the flickering led under your baseboard and attach a few lengths of fibre optic strands to the end of the flickering led, feed them through your baseboard to your camp fire and paint the fibre optic strands red and orange. That way you would get them flickering. I feel it may take a bit of trial and error before the correct effect is achieved, but on the bright side, it will keep you out of mischief for a bit  ;)

Cheers John.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »
They have packs of 4 flickering Tea-light LED's in Poundstretcher for 99p. Each one has a CR2032 battery already in it. Just grabbed a pack whilst out and about this morning. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:51:46 pm by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:22 pm »
For 99p for four, it's worth getting some and experimenting with them!

Andy
UK

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:49:39 pm »
My thoughts exactly
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:47 pm »
Hi guys

I have a Poundland shop near me, presumably a similar store to Poundstretcher!

I bought some of the above tee lights.  They flicker a nice warm yellow colour.  I dismantled the casing, so that the bulb is available, and just to experiment, put the rest of it back together with the battery in.  It works fine.  Now came the clever bit.  I took an orangey red coloured LED and stuck the legs where the yellow legs went.  It was 50/50 whether I got them the right way round, at risk of perhaps blowing the LEDs.

I guessed right.  The yellow and red bulbs both flicker, and at a different rate.  I figure if I solder the legs of the new LED to those on the yellow one, and then plant them in the layout, put foliage in front or twigs over the top, it will perhaps look like that bonfire I'm after!

Andy
UK

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »
I've never seen flickering tea lights in my local poundland, :( perhaps I'm going blind !
So this morning 10 white flickering LEDs arrived in the post thanks to Ebay 1.99+free, not sure what I am going to do with all 10, might have to be a forest fire not a camp fire ?!  :hmmm:
All I will need now are some coloured sweetie wrappers :)

My engine shed is nearly ready so maybe an arc simulator would be good as well.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 06:21:20 pm »
Good idea with the sweets wrappers, Malcolm.  In the past, I've painted them just with a thin coating of acrylic paint, which also works.

If you go to Poundland, and look at the "Home Essentials" selection, the tee lights I had were in an olive-green cardboard blister pack.  The tee lights casings are white.  Perhaps you may be able to recognise them from this description?

Andy
UK

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »
Thanks for the great infos.,
i do remember loads of white ones, shall have to pay more attention when I am next in town (prob. Monday unless I can think up a good excuse tomorrow to escape :) ! )

Online REGP

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
@MalcolmAL Might get some myself,  what size LEDs did you get, were they 3 or 5mm?

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:09 pm »
@MalcolmAL Might get some myself,  what size LEDs did you get, were they 3 or 5mm?
5mm, for no other reason than this ad/seller caught my eye!   Ebay item number 252112266574 from led-essential
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:48:56 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 02:59:39 am »
Update : too late at night so this evaluation may change but :

After much experiment with various resistors and voltages I decided that the led was spending too long 'on' and not enough 'off' or maybe not deep enough (sort of half)  off ? to be an arc welder, not sure what to expect in that field ?

However, as a flickering camp fire or candle which would be expected to be on, in flame, all the time with only brief flickers it is a fair representation.

Onward and upward : I got to thinking what if two in series ? they could not be both on unless one was on, but if neither was ,, ohhh my head hurt,, so I did ! :) ended up with three in series and no resistor (well live dangerously, I had 10 of them to expend :) ) across a 9v battery and it is promising ! Very bright even though only averaging about 5mA, had to install cardboard masks on my paper model workshop to stop it shining through walls (& roof!) as well as the windows.

I would show you, but cant see how to upload a short vid, and it is way beyond witching hour to delve into youtubing !

Have ordered more LEDs, red and blue  ! :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:09:25 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »
Hi MalcolmAL
You could use any spare LEDs in a burning building scene.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »
Hi MalcolmAL
You could use any spare LEDs in a burning building scene.
Good idea, thanks Del, let us hope my electroniking doesnt do it for real  :laugh3:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything