!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N gauge continetal cork underlay  (Read 162 times)

Offline Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
N gauge continetal cork underlay
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:41 am »
I know this is probably a bit of a basic question for the pros on this forum, but I'm getting in a pickle over which cork underlay to buy.

My layout measures about 80cm x 110cm and consists of two basic loops (one outer, one inner). I like to err on the side of realism, so I was thinking 2mm underlay with a width of 60mm to accomodate double track.

Does anyone have favoured brands or purchase sources (I'm in the UK)? I noticed you can get quite large rolls on amazon by SPD UK cork. Is this any good?

cheers
Matt

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: N gauge continetal cork underlay
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41:37 am »
I've always used what's come my way for nothing.

However there are other options and this has been discussed quite often here.

Try a search for cork underlay  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:48:42 am »
Wherever you source the cork I'd recommend you cover the baseboard with it. My reasoning is that you'll need the cork under buildings, platforms etc as well as the tracks so you might as well go for full cover and just trim away what you don't need.
You could buy cork tiles from your local DIY shed or one supply I've used in the past as have others is....
http://www.charlescantrill.com/model-railway/

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »
@Newportnobby  ... whereas I would always recommend DON'T cover the entire baseboard, it's a total waste of cork!!   Certainly you'll need to use a few rectangles of cork under lineside buildings that need to be set at the same base height as the track, but you don't need it under the general town buildings, roads, scenery etc.  Use it only where needed.

You don't need to use a single wide strip for double track, use 1" wide strips under each track.

For curves use 2x 0.5" strips either side of the centre line, as that's easier to bend round the curve.

The last batch of cork sheet I bought was from an ebay seller with a name something like "The Fridge Magnet Shop".  2mm thick if I remember correctly.

With the thin strips you get nicely raised track and a ballast shoulder, if that's the effect you're looking for?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:54:36 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:13 pm »
@ntpntpntp
There are 2 ways to look at it. If the cork is sourced cheaply enough then I'd go full coverage. If it ain't cheap your way is the best way.

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:39:49 pm »
Thank you everyone for the useful tips and points of view, I'll keep you posted with how I get along!

Matt :-)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything