!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Langley - Prince of Wales 4-6-2T  (Read 388 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Langley - Prince of Wales 4-6-2T
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:17:59 pm »
Has anyone actually built a Langley Prince of Wales kit ???

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: Langley - Prince of Wales 4-6-2T
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
No, I was lucky enough to find mine on eBay. I did still need to do some work on it though. The coupling rods were digging into the body, close to the cab. I sliced off some white metal with a modelling knife and filed down the rest until the body would allow the rods full movement. The plastic tip of the chassis body was also trimmed to allow the body to sit lower over the wheels. This resulted in some short-circuiting on the curves, so the inside of the body was painted and varnished to insulate it. It runs like a dream now.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:46:36 pm »
No, I was lucky enough to find mine on eBay. I did still need to do some work on it though. The coupling rods were digging into the body, close to the cab. I sliced off some white metal with a modelling knife and filed down the rest until the body would allow the rods full movement. The plastic tip of the chassis body was also trimmed to allow the body to sit lower over the wheels. This resulted in some short-circuiting on the curves, so the inside of the body was painted and varnished to insulate it. It runs like a dream now.

Brilliant thanks, can you tell me how the rear wheels are attached?

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 05:09:11 pm »
I will, as soon as I get back from a business trip.

But from memory, because I've done much the same with an N Brass Locos front and rear bogie on a Black 5 chassis for a Remembrance class tank, there's a slot that you can slide the joining bar thingy into so that the rear screw slides through its screw hole (careful there).

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:44:38 pm »
I dunno, these youngsters, where do you learn your technical vocabulary -  joining bar indeed! Methinks you mean drawbar.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
I dunno, these youngsters, where do you learn your technical vocabulary -  joining bar indeed! Methinks you mean drawbar.

Why would you draw a bar, I like drawing pictures of space rockets and tanks  :P

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 08:05:41 pm »

In my (weak) defence, I did add 'thingy' to show I was uncertain about the name.

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:35:05 am »
According to the Langley website this kit "Requires an early Grafar 61 XX prarie tank" , so the rear pony truck would already be attached. The work would be at the pointy end, making the 4 wheeled bogie.

I haven't made a Prince of Wales 4-6-2, but have made a Langley LNER L3 2-6-4T which "Requires Farish Prairie 61xx chassis, the later model". I initially used a 61xx, but the body sat too high and subsequently used the 61xx pony truck on the front of a GP 0-6-0 tank chassis. I had (still have) problems with the rear bogie. I fabricated a metal bar to connect it to the rear of the 0-6-0 chassis.

Edit: I made the L3 a long time ago, back in 1989 or 1990. I thought the body kit went together quite well, with only a small amount of fitting and filling. I used a gel super glue.  I was never really satisfied with the chassis. I switched the bogie and pony wheels for better looking N gauge ones from the NGS or 2mm Scale Association, which of course then shorted out on the white metal body.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:46:11 am by Platy767, Reason: Clarification of how long ago this was done »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 09:01:32 am »
Interesting, I will have to look at the chassis again when I get a chance, I removed the trailing truck as I did not think it would fit under the loco body? :worried: :worried:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 09:04:15 am »
progress has sort of ground to a halt as I attempted to add some hand lining to the Loco and my shaky hands have made progress frustrating and very slow.

Im thinking plain black is a better option?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here