!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Proposed basic N gauge track plan for DB IC trains  (Read 184 times)

Online Globi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Proposed basic N gauge track plan for DB IC trains
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:33 am »
Hi,

After not modelling for many years, I'm finally making up for lost time and creating a layout.

I was initially just going to have two basic loops, but I've come up with an idea involving points which would allow for 2 complete IC trains to swap their positions (using DCC). Since I'm totally new to this, please could you check my PDF to see if this would actually work? I'd like to buy the 2nd train in the future so I'm trying to plan in advance.

Advice appreciated!
Cheers
Matt

P.s with my landscaping idea I'm probably going to be completely covering the top half of the layout with a tunnel, is that wise given the above?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Proposed basic N gauge track plan for DB IC trains
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:10:09 am »
G'day from Australia, Globi, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Not sure what you mean by covering the layout with a tunnel.... ?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Globi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:17:19 am »
Hey Bealman!

I was going to obscure half the layout under a mountain, to disrupt the appearance of the loop - see attached.....

Matt

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:20:12 am »
Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I can't really see anything wrong with the track plan as it is fairly simple. Having tracks parallel to the baseboard edges does tend to make it look like a 'train set' so even if you could twist the plan by 5 degrees to the horizontal it would improve the looks a little.
By all means have the top tracks in a tunnel but please ensure you have easy access to it, especially if the crossover is contained within the tunnel area (not really a good idea). A certain Law will say if there's a derailment it will be in there!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:30:00 am »
So these are loco hauled IC sets with a driving trailer at the other end?    That's one of the nice things about that arrangement, the train can be run in either direction without having to swap the loco to the other end.

Yes you can certainly swap them between the two tracks like that, but I'm not clear whether for general running you still intend to run the outside track anticlockwise and the inner track clockwise?

On my layout I make a point of having the locos on IC sets mostly at the same end and run with the loco pushing in one direction and pulling in the other direction.

Nothing wrong with disguising half the layout with a tunnel but make sure you leave plenty of easy access for the inevitable stops or derailments.  A simpler approach might be to simply have a dividing backscene rather than a fully covered tunnel.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »
Thank you for the helpful comments everybody!

I really like the idea of twisting the layout 5 degreess to the horizontal, very smart.

I am trying to keep costs down so I wonder if it might be better to have no points at all (I don't have driving trailers for these trains unfortunately) and to stick to simple DC ,with one transformer for a clockwise inner train and one transformer for an anticlockwise outer train.

The advantage I see for DCC is that I can change trains from one loop to another, however they are basically stuck chasing in the same direction, unless I double the number of points and it gets expensive.

The advantage for DC is that the trains can run in opposite directions to each other, it's a cheaper option, however the trains are then stuck on the same tracks (unless a big hand appears from the sky) ha ha!

It's a complicated business!

Online Globi

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »
Here's a plan without having turnouts at all.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:53:11 pm »
The advantage for DC is that the trains can run in opposite directions to each other, it's a cheaper option, however the trains are then stuck on the same tracks (unless a big hand appears from the sky) ha ha!

My layout in the photo above is all DC. It uses the "cab control" style of wiring but let's not worry about that for now with your simple layout plan.

Nothing stopping you having points and changing tracks on DC. It's important that you fit isolating joiners between the two crossovers, then just set the points and set both controllers to the same speed and direction and you can move from one circuit to the other.  With a train already on each circuit you will have the problem that both will move at the same time unless you also fit some isolated track sections (more complication).    With a small layout plan like yours DCC would be an advantage for independent control.

The Fleischmann driving trailers are stupidly expensive these days, I certainly don't buy them new.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here