!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Plymouth Friary and Turnchaple Branch  (Read 332 times)

Offline squit13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25030
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Plymouth Friary and Turnchaple Branch
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
Hello,
Thank you for letting me join the forum. I have already lost, I mean enjoyed,  many evenings reading through numerous threads on various features and ideas.

So, my layout. Plymouth Friary and the Turnchaple branch, based in Plymouth. Real length is about 4 miles if memory serves. My plan compresses it somewhat to maybe 2.5 miles but, I think it will represent nicely.
We start in the LSWR terminus at Plymouth Friary. An arrivals platform, a main departures platform and a branch line departures platform. Also a dock platform and what I will use as a parcels platform. Next to the station is a large goodsyard. All of the goods yard and main lines run in under a wide, multi arched bridge, which cuts quite a structure.  The line runs through lots of pointwork belonging to friary A box then splits to the turnchapel branch and also Friary Shed. The mainline continues round non scenic to a very rough interpritation of Manchester Piccadilly with a large yard also.
The branch continues, over the river Plym, to Plymstock, station where it splits, a GWR branch heading to Yealmpton(not modeled past Pymstock station) and the LSWR Turnchapel line runs over several small bridges then through Oreston station, and finally into Turnchapel station itself. The tiny Turnchapel station area also has some quarry works with lime kilns and two air military sidings and a short freight line continues to a small dock.
All of this will be represented along with some working quarry workings at Plymstock.

So far, I have track laid up to Laira Bridge(over the river Plym). A lot of the point work is on through the junction, but I havent starited the MPD yet, this comes soon. Friary station is most scenic, but is just the bridge, land behind the station and departures station building really. The hill is foam insulation cut to shape with a rough coat of sculptamold. I intend to build up roads using general filler, when I start on scenery.
Both the station building and the roadbridge I designed on the computer, then printed out onto card. Then made then up as I would any other card kit. My scratch building isnt up to scratch, but the computer picks up my stack this way!
Friary 'B'(the station throat itself)  has a 12 lever interlocked lever frame from Modratec, which will control signals too. I hope to have the whole layout signaled. Not quite properly but well enough! Another larger interlocked frame will follow in the future for Friary 'A' box, I look forward to this!

I am building it as if it is the 1920's, roughly, however I will operate it in just about all eras. A "what might have been" approach to the modern day running.

I now operate DCC using a ZTC controller. Funds dictate a very slow roll out of chipping my locos and multiple units. Probably close to, 60 chips required, quite a scary thought!

The room is about 13' square, and will befairly full of baseboards, when finished!

I am a very busy being, and have way too many hobbies; computer gaming, and lawnmower racing are both time heavy! I also go through phases, so will spend I lot of time on one hobby then move to the next,  almost on rotation, point being updates will, be sporadic. I started this build in about July 2013, and seem to have achieved very little since then!

Sorry for the lack of photos, I will try to get some tomorrow! Yep, too much writing, not enough pictures!

Huccaby
(My name,  different I know!)

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
Re: Plymouth Friary and Turnchaple Branch
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:41:28 pm »
Being a West Country lad I will be interested to see this! I had an Uncle who was a driver out of Laira MPD and have fond memories of him letting me sit in the cabs of 80s-era locos.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:12:06 pm »
G'day from Australia, Huccaby, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing this!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 11:43:48 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Huccaby. Sounds like some interesting plans.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 02:55:01 am »
Hi Huccaby,

Welcome aboard. Sounds great and looking forward to the pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:01:43 am »
Lived in Plymstock from 1982 to 1991. Watched as parts of the old railway were slowly demolished and replaced with a business park etc. The track bed from the roundabout that is now Morrisons to Oreston is now a foot/cycle path and part of the Turnchapel bridge supports remain in place.
The Turnchapel railway area by the lime kilns is now a new housing estate.
Looking forward to seeing progress - from someone with barely enough room for short shunting layouts.

Elmo

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:45:59 am »
Hi Huccaby,

Welcome aboard. Sounds great and looking forward to the pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:
Seconded
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:19:39 am »
Hello Huccaby, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Thanks for the comprehensive intro and, like others, I look forward to seeing some pics

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:47:14 pm »
Oh for heaven's sake - every time the topic title goes by I speed read it is "Plymouth Fairy..."       :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline squit13

• N Gauge Society Number: 25030
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 12:49:38 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome and positive comments.

I should explain I live in the Plynouth area, and decided to build this layout as a way to encourage my dad back into the hobby, as he grew up playing in the quarry, at the site of Turnchapel station. This plan worked and he started work on the Turnchapel baseboard, but sadly, just a couple months into construction he died(cancer), we knew it was coming, and to have some remenants and his joy in returning to the hobby is totally worth it.

Having, just done the calculations, it appears I have compressed the layout more than I, had thought, obviously. The run is just less than a scale mile, rather than the 2.5miles in reality.

Below are a couple of photos of the layout in its current state. And finally the hand drawn track plan.
The next stage is to dismantle it, flip the basboards and fix some, tempramental frog switching and install the WIT for the yard points. My wires are under the basboard and use actuators up through holes, like peco point motors.

If you want any other pictures, just ask. My imagination doesnt extend to thinking what people might want to see!
If the descriptions dont show, then I will edit this poat adding them.

Looking across the yard at the station

A high angle view down

The typical view of Plymouth Friary, taken from Tohill Road Bridge

Looking the other way, toward the site of the MPD.

Next up, site of the MPD to be. Sort of. Terrible photography from me!

Finally the track plan…

Oh for heaven's sake - every time the topic title goes by I speed read it is "Plymouth Fairy..."       :D

At near 23 stone I can assure you that I am no fairy!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:52:52 pm by squit13 »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 03:12:44 pm »
Welcome aboard.
That all looks pretty good to me.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 03:42:41 pm »
 :hellosign: :welcomesign:
Diane Tape

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 03:54:04 pm »
Thanks for the pics and the track plan

Online GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
Yup, that looks really interesting and it will be great to see pics as you and your dad develop the layout!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:48:39 pm »
This looks terrific and I look forward to seeing more.

And … welcome aboard.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here