!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ted TMD - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Ted TMD - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:14:18 pm »
Less than 1 month from taking up the hobby, I'm ready to go (build).

Yes, I'm that impatient.  :D

Therefore, welcome to my layout progress thread.

"Ted TMD" is of course a fictional depot, but based on real-life examples I've been pouring over for the past weeks.

Starting with the baseboard design, 2 of these to make an 88" wide layout with 33" depth.

The layout has been finalised at this relatively busy TMD, with refuelling point and sidings.

Left side will be a rising hillside with tunnel - pitch black, to hide curve, and I'll make it an echo chamber so the sounds amplify through their. Essentially a proper tubular internal structure, not just exposed to the underbelly of the hill.

The right side will be a concrete type affair, with a split (upright support) in the middle forcing the tracks off in different directions, but actually not ... they both loop, of course. Not sure what will run along the top and side of it yet, but there are options for many scenes.

Back scene, undecided, but likely a few industrial scenes to the left side of the TMD area.

This area is an imaginary busy mid-point for freight, so lots of fuel moving around - this depot refuels, stores and services those locos.

The mainline has enough room for a full twin loco rake setup bumbling along. I'm looking at a pair of class 2s, both with sound. 20 or 25 maybe.

88x32" or 7.4x2.7ft board.

The ply boards are primed and Saturday I'll construct the frame, ready for wiring on Sunday... and hopefully some tracking laying too.

Everything has been purchased, including 30 points, servos, control systems and electrics.

Wish me luck, this is my first time...
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: Ted TMD - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:30:31 pm »
The very best of luck! And I'll be following along with great interest.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:35 pm »
good luck!

tim

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:32 pm »
Any progress I make is glacial so you put me to shame in that respect :-[
All looks good but I would ask if you can access all areas. The width/depth of 33" doesn't sound a lot but if you have to reach over the backscene to get to a derailment in the fiddle yard from the front of the layout then I can see you struggling maybe :uneasy: :hmmm:

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:04 pm »
Thanks chaps!

Hopefully I won't disappoint.

Any progress I make is glacial so you put me to shame in that respect :-[
All looks good but I would ask if you can access all areas. The width/depth of 33" doesn't sound a lot but if you have to reach over the backscene to get to a derailment in the fiddle yard from the front of the layout then I can see you struggling maybe :uneasy: :hmmm:

I've bought a pair of Stanley adjustable workbench legs, the pair are designed for a max tonne (!) load. The layout will be located in a decent sized spare bedroom, could easily be used as a master. So I'll be able to move around the layout no problem, if required.  :thumbsup:

I did consider the loft as there's ~25x30ft of space up there, but at this stage - to be frank - I can't be arsed to kit that space out!
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:08 pm »

I've bought a pair of Stanley adjustable workbench legs, the pair are designed for a max tonne (!) load. 

I'm pretty sure you don't weigh a tonne so, once strapped on, those adjustable workbench legs should allow you to reach over the backscene ;D

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:16 pm »

I've bought a pair of Stanley adjustable workbench legs, the pair are designed for a max tonne (!) load. 

I'm pretty sure you don't weigh a tonne so, once strapped on, those adjustable workbench legs should allow you to reach over the backscene ;D

I like over-engineered when it comes to structural stuff. But yeah, I'm barely 12 stone so it should be alright! ;-)

As an aside, I've opted for 16 AWG for the bus and 22 for the droppers. Stranded silicon 'higher' quality as I really don't want any running issues.

I was going to crimp but decided on soldering instead as I can create a strong mechanical connection with stranded first, then solder in place.

I think I'll opt for a 'star' format, the bus radiating from the centre, so I can effectively isolate sections and keep runs short. Easier to fault find too.

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:29:20 am »
I've primed the base boards and decided to go for a satin black top, white underneath.

Not sure black was the right choice, the idea being it's dark and will hide any gaps for points etc.

But the bonus of a grey finish would be marking is easier to see. Black, well... it kinda hides pencil marks! :)

That said, I can use white chalk - which I have.

Mitre saw purchased so next job is doing a little joinery. Again, completely new to this too - but seems simple enough. Unless I lose a finger, that is.

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:41:29 am »
Looks like were both starting to build layouts with a similar subject at a similar time. I like the plan and will steal ideas follow with interest :D

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 10:50:03 am »
Looks like were both starting to build layouts with a similar subject at a similar time. I like the plan and will steal ideas follow with interest :D

Can you make all the mistakes first, so I can copy the good bits?  :smiley-laughing:

I'll check your thread out!

I'm taking some inspiration from these two (albeit it 00) layouts - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66563-glebe-road-junction/ and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78216-minsterley-modern-image-ohle-layout/ (booo hiss, another forum)!

Some modelling skills on display there.

One thing that has really stood out to me is track side detail, it makes so much difference to the end quality and realism of the model.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:19 am »
If its mistakes, dead ends and bad ideas you want, I'm sure I can help!
Thanks for the links - I'll have a read.

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:53:06 pm »
I had a big delivery of stuff today, loads of electrical items which I'll share tomorrow... the 30 servos in a box is rather daunting!

------

Okay, this afternoon's job was - paint the plywood both sides (I primed them yesterday).

Satin black on top and satin white underneath. Yes I realise no one will ever see underneath but I couldn't leave them plain, I thought it would make the wiring look nicer against a white backdrop, easier to see and also seals the wood.

And then, I bought some tools including a mitre saw and set to work building two frames.

I've never done anything like this before - but it was pretty easy, so if anyone's reading this and hesitant - just crack on!

Holes have been cut for wiring, all tapered and sanded so they won't snag. I will add additional cross bracing once I know where the points fall.

This is a permanent-ish layout but even so, I've attached the two pieces in the middle via bolts.

Next, tidy up - for tomorrow, I lay track!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:57 pm »

Holes have been cut for wiring, all tapered and sanded so they won't snag. I will add additional cross bracing once I know where the points fall.

Two elementary pitfalls avoided straight away :thumbsup:
Glad to see you've knocked up some chairs and a table while the tools were out ;)

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »

Two elementary pitfalls avoided straight away :thumbsup:
Glad to see you've knocked up some chairs and a table while the tools were out ;)
:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: ...had to put my new woodworking skills to use!

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 12:03:56 am »
Your plan is right up my street, I'll be watching and no doubt enjoying the building of this layout  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here