!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Question re: 3d loco body and donor chassis  (Read 114 times)

Offline PeteW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Question re: 3d loco body and donor chassis
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:48 pm »
Hope this is the right part of the forums, and that the 'right' people will see it.

For no better reason than 'I really want one' I've been spending ages looking at J50 loco pictures. Seems like every gauge but ours has one. Then by chance, I stumbled upon this:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZD886EVYF/j50-4-with-hopper-bunker-2mm?optionId=58577567&li=marketplace

So for those with some experience, what are the issues with matching such a body with a donor chassis? There is reference to a Dapol pannier, and elsewhere I've seen similar, if older, discussion regarding a Farish pannier chassis. I'm not looking for definitive answers or guarantees - just a general discussion of potential problems and potential solutions. I have some experience of modelling, so a bit of modding, cutting and shaping doesn't bother me.

If there's a good chance of making it work, the cost of the 3d print, additional bits, and a donor looks like a bargain. On the other hand, it adds up to around 50-plus, which for me is a bit steep if I end up with nothing more than extras for the spares box.

So thoughts, advice, experiences, all gratefully received.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Question re: 3d loco body and donor chassis
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:36 pm »
Fitting donor chassis to 3D printed models is generally try it and see.  It helps if you have a good range of commercial models wrth which you can visually (or manually) check the possibilities before you buy, usually a second hand chassis.

The most important elements are:
1 Wheel diameters and spacing
2 valve gear if any
3 the location of the motor and whether its location will fit in the new body.

For instance I recently rebuilt the Skytrex Bayer Garrett kit using Fairburn Tank chassis at each end.  In this case the wheels and valve gear were perfect matches but the motor had to be remounted to get it inside the casings.  I'm currently doing a scratch build U1 using farish austerity 2-8-0 chassis and doing the same thing.

Once you know it will fit adding backing and screw holes for mounting is relatively straight forward.

the last thing to remember is weight.  Farish old mechanisms were metal and the bodies were metal as well.  Newer models are plastic and have added weights.  You must retain this additional weight or the wheels will spin pulling one coach.  Best solution is liquid lead fixed with dilute PVA.

Offline PeteW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:51:25 pm »
Fitting donor chassis to 3D printed models is generally try it and see.

I *knew* you were going to say that  ;D

"Once you know it will fit adding backing and screw holes for mounting is relatively straight forward."
So, tell me about that. Is it a matter of fitting a metal plate with tapped holes, or would an appropriate nut or two embedded in an appropriate material work? Or something else entirely?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:08:22 am »
Fitting donor chassis to 3D printed models is generally try it and see.

I *knew* you were going to say that  ;D

"Once you know it will fit adding backing and screw holes for mounting is relatively straight forward."
So, tell me about that. Is it a matter of fitting a metal plate with tapped holes, or would an appropriate nut or two embedded in an appropriate material work? Or something else entirely?

All of the above depending on the model and available space, but I also use magnets sometimes particularly on diesels, DMUs and the like.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything