!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Best option for automated DCC points  (Read 336 times)

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Best option for automated DCC points
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:35 pm »
Thanks guys. I've been reading and digging some more.

After finding that I can use servos easily with piano wire, I called Dave at Mega Point Controllers.

I've ordered 30 servos from Hobbyking for 2 each (cheap!) and a load of kit from Mega Points.

So, I think I've got it all sorted.

OK, will work, but, bear in mind the following:   

You said you wanted to put the track plans onto tablets linked to the Z21.  That's fine. 

To work the Megapoints devices from DCC, you need one Megapoints DCC module for every 12-way servo board (or three 4-way boards).   Its OK to use multiple DCC modules for more turnouts.       So, this "just works" as a DCC interface to the servo boards, to the DCC system they are just an accessory device with 12 addresses, one for each of the 12 servo outputs. 
OR, you need the Megapoints Multipanel board and one DCC module.  With this option, you can't use the push buttons on the Multipanel board and DCC because your track diagrams on your tablets won't know you've pushed a physical button on the master panel.   So, to use the tablets to control the turnouts the Multipanel would be just an interface between DCC and multiple boards servo boards.

Dave at Megapoints has a video of a computer interface under development, which he plans to have working with JMRI.  That would overcome this lack of bi-directional communication, but it would require a small computer to be added to the equation (a 40 Raspberry PI will work well).   I'd expect (but don't know for certain) that a Z21 will update its screens if an attached computer also updates turnout position information. 

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here