!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TINGS 2018 - personal observation  (Read 3292 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: TINGS 2018 - personal observation
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »
I accept comments about “average” layouts to encourage people into the hobby but:

- what proportion of visitors to TINGS had no prior interest in model railways? and
- what proportion of those would actually be put off by seeing incredible layouts versus ‘normal’ ones?

Seems to me we risk justifying something for a subset of a subset on a notional basis. When I was young I liked the same layouts I like now - and when I was 8 I wanted to see the very best I could, that inspires me, not necessarily something that I think “I could do that”.

If I go to a car show I’d want to see gleaming examples of vehicles, not a Fiesta with a dented wing and dirty wheels, even if that’s normal. If I watch sport I want to see the pinnacle, not people putting in a performance that I think “I could do that”.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2018, 03:37:27 pm »
I was planning to have a UK trip for TINGS 1919, but comments from this year are making me wonder.

I think your a bit late to attend that show  :)

Did @Bealman not say he was coming over in his TARDIS? ;D

@NeMo
You have some valid points but (a) I wait for a non busy period so I can get clear pics without someone's hand or hairy lughole appearing (b) I always ask permission (which tends to surprise most operators) and (c) I have been lucky enough for layout owners to ask me for pics of their layout to use when seeking bookings.
There's no way I can get to many of the shows in this country but, by heck, I want to see pics.

But most shows end up on youtube these days (including TINGS this year)

Valid point again, but I can almost guarantee this weekends Fleetwood show won't. It's really only the bigger shows that appear on YouTube, I find.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2018, 04:57:22 pm »
This a bit off topic but only a bit.

Earlier this week I was in New York and went to Gulliver's Gate, which is a fairly new US version of Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland. It scores a very high 4.5/5 rating on Trip Advisor but there are still people who score it a 2 and even a 1.

I missed TINGS this year but I am sure that I would have enjoyed it as much as I have previously. I do not go for a "buy stuff cheaper" experience, but do seek out things I cannot easily buy in stores in the UK, such as many continental items. I look at layouts for ideas and techniques, etc.

Which brings me back to Gulliver's Gate. Whilst children were taking selfies and projecting their photos onto a "working" model of Niagara Falls, and families were being scanned for their 3D figurines, I was looking at the superb and convincing modelling, and many of the working features, such as the hot air balloon flights, the airport with landing and departing planes, ships raising and lowering through the Panama Canal locks, ski-lifts and descending skiers, waterfalls using real water and/or clever visual projection techniques, moving but congested road traffic. and the diversity of the figures populating the many scenes from all around the world. My ticket bought in advance was £20 and worth every penny.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:36 pm »

Valid point again, but I can almost guarantee this weekends Fleetwood show won't. It's really only the bigger shows that appear on YouTube, I find.

2017's exhibition was by 2 different people

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Blackpool+and+North+fylde+model+Railway+2017

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2018, 06:10:58 pm »

Hello all,

I have been attending TINGS as a trader for the last few years, and from our point of view it is a great way to meet people, show progress and generally enjoy chewing the fat with like-minded enthusiasts.

We did bring our club former layout Horseley Fields to the show a couple of years back, and were surprised that no meals or hot drinks were provided, so I understand the point of view of those who are reluctant to supply layouts.

Nonetheless, I think snitchthebudgie's photographs illustrate that there were some excellent layouts there, so thanks for posting.  I particularly liked Bear Creek, Annston and Burshaw North West.

Cheers

Ben A.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
If you are planning to visit TINGS from a long distance you should consider going to the exhibition at Swindon Steam Museum as well. This is an excellent museum and well worth a visit. The model railway exhibition which is usually the same weekend as TINGS has an interesting mix of layouts in all scales. You could do one day at each show. They are about an hour and a half drive apart. It would make for a grand weekend.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2018, 06:49:06 pm »
I feel honoured when people photo my layouts and think they are worthefgorts are worth posting on social media.

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2018, 06:50:24 pm »
njee20 sums up exhibitions for me. Why go along to see something less than good (his car show analogy is perfect), which is surely not what exhibiting is about? You may not feel you can achieve what you see on show but it should inspire you to try to do better, surely? Otherwise we’d all go home and get out an oval of track and any old stuff and think that was perfect.....

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2018, 07:43:03 pm »
If I go to a car show I’d want to see gleaming examples of vehicles, not a Fiesta with a dented wing and dirty wheels, even if that’s normal. If I watch sport I want to see the pinnacle, not people putting in a performance that I think “I could do that”.

Slightly missing the point of my post I feel...

Ancient, shabby, worn out, poor running, dingy trainsets don't have a place in the modern exhibition. A properly thought out, nicely presented, well operated layout using basic off the shelf stock and materials that is "achievable" by the average modeller absolutely does. - It is that type of layout that is most likely to inspire and encourage newcomers to the hobby...

I don't think anyone is advocating the inclusion of the layout equivalent of your "Fiesta with a dented wing and dirty wheels".
To continue the analogy, my point is that the show shouldn't be full solely of "Rolls-Royces" or "Ferarris" few could hope to ever own, and ideally should also include a well presented "gleaming showroom condition Fiesta" which is achievable by someone with average resources and skills...

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2018, 08:13:57 pm »
Yep, fair enough, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I wouldn't want to see Fiestas in any condition personally, but luckily we're not all the same ;-)

I still contest which would attract newcomers though, I know of people being inspired far more by the exceptional than the mundane.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2018, 09:38:18 am »
As a very late addendum to the above I considered that maybe my point was misunderstood.

I'm not suggesting that every layout has to have scratch built stock, hand built pointwork and nothing RTR in sight (the Rolls-Royce to continue that increasingly tortured analogy) for it to qualify for my wholly subjective 'excellent'. I like those things though - Atlantic Road is excellent for it's variety of interesting stock.

I'm absolutely fine with everything being RTR, Peco trackwork etc, it's all in the execution for me (that immaculate Fiesta). I don't want to draw on specific examples of layouts that didn't quite hit the mark for me (I'm not saying they're bad, or that I could do better, or anything of that ilk) because I don't think that's fair. But a lot of it is specifically doing things better than I can - that is the appeal, and what I was trying to convey with my examples on cars and sport.

Now... I have little skill when it comes to actually building a layout, but I can (and I seek to) compose an accurate train, so for me when I see something unprototypical it's a let down. Selective compression is fine - 36 HAAs is a long train, even a 2+8 HST is quite long, but if I see 1970s Freightliner wagons with a 66 on the front, that will disengage me. If I think to specific layouts that have impressed me greatly I think of Horseley Fields, Northallerton (albeit not seen in the flesh yet) and whatever Vonzack's club layout is called because I liked that one! Nothing to do with the presence of Ben/Kirky/Vonzack, just great layouts!

That is wholly subjective though as I've said, and why I would never say there are "bad" layouts, nor that exhibitions should comprise nothing but large club layouts, because I'm aware I have but one opinion which isn't unanimous. When having a discussion with a friend last week there's a size aspect too, which I feel TINGS fell foul of. Because of the things I like in a layout I usually like them quite large. Not to say I don't enjoy a shunting plank, but the layouts that hold my attention most are usually those that are bigger than I have at home. I suspect driven in part by Meridienne's policy of not paying generous expenses TINGS seemed to attract quite a lot of layouts that are either modular or fit in one car - up to 8'x3' ish. Again, nothing wrong with that - but I do like a nice big layout with the scale length trains it affords; it comes back to that "I can't do this at home" thing - I don't have 20', so I enjoy the layouts that do.

Just me two penneth.

TL:DR - I appraise layouts against my own benchmark, but I want to see stuff bigger and better than I can do. I accept that not everyone's the same.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2018, 09:38:44 am »
Like P L D ,  I didn’t mean really old decrepid layouts but it is nice to see some average layouts ,I visit PENDON  MUSEUM on a regular basis and I know I will never ever in my life build something like that ,and agree that I go there to be inspired BUT I also go to many shows throughout the country and see lots of layouts from excellent to those that quite honestly are not fit to be seen . It’s the inbetween layouts that I was referring to that new people could see and those that I think would encourage newcomers to the hobby .
I helped a fellow member at a show a few years ago and as soon as he saw a youngster he would say to us here comes a V I P which was a signal to get THOMAS AND ANNIE AND CLARABELL out of their siding and give them a run you should see the kids faces light up ,and this was on a very good serious type of layout ,unfortunately my memory fails me and I can’t remember the name of the operator or layout .
I also remember going to Risborough Show one year and there was a huge O gauge show ,the scenery was amazing so was the sound effects of the seagulls and the waves ,BUT we stood there for about ten minutes nothing moved ,then a bell went ding ding and the operator put down his paper and an engine moved out of the shed to the water tower ,the operator sat down and read his paper again ,the bell went ding ding and the engine backed onto the train ,the operator sat down and started reading his paper again , My  late mate Cyril asked him when the train was going to go down to the other end of the thirty odd feet ,the reply after he looked at his watch was about another fifteen minutes ,.
That is the only time I ever heard Cyril swear ,he told the guy that he had seen the layout as the Center fold in the Modelers and payed good money to see this layout and was really annoyed ,the guy said that’s tough luck we run to the original timetable with the correct loco ,the correct coaches etc etc ,Cyril and his daughter voted a small round roundly German layout as the best in the show as the operator answered al their questions and there was something moving .nearly all the time.
Bob Tidbury

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:01:15 am by Bob Tidbury »

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2018, 11:59:46 am »
I think we're all agreeing - that's just frustrating when layouts are like that!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:41 pm »
I may have mentioned this already elsewhere but I think a good barometer of layout quality can be the non-modeller. At TINGS my wife looked at each layout, some like Melton Mowbray North she watched for a while and commented on how good it was, she also liked Wenlock because of it's quality of modelling and importantly, although small and end to end something was always happening.

A good number of others she rolled her eyes at for a variety of reasons, lack of action, unfinished, lack of credibility and/or realism. I also wonder why there has to be a modular layout each year - is it a way to fill a big space cheaply?

Roy

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:43:45 pm by Roy L S »

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2018, 12:29:43 pm »
I have to admit I’m not one for modular layouts, but I sort of understand why some people like them. To me they are nearly always lots of disharmonious bits with random stock, which is not my bag. I prefer something that keeps to one era, even if the regions are a bit blurred, and one country..... The bigger they get the less I like them. At some shows it’s the smaller layouts that attract me more if they are done well, but on the whole I prefer something that I couldn’t build at home

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here