!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northcote TMD  (Read 333 times)

Offline Bill Badger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Northcote TMD
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:53:35 am »
Thought I'd start a thread for my new layout. After some room shuffling at home to give our son a bigger bedroom, my cave has moved to the smallest of our spare rooms. Whilst plans for a house extension, that includes a new workshop, have been approved, it’ll be next year at the earliest before we make a start and my grand scheme for Hellifield in N gauge will have to wait until then. In the meantime, I want something to do…

I can accommodate a smallish board, up to 1.5m long, without having to faff about unpacking and setting up for the odd 30 minute session.

My era is mid-80s to early-90s and I probably have far too many locos compared to rolling stock, so you can probably guess where this is going.

The plan is to show a limited section of a much larger TMD and include a ‘through’ line: some sort of loop or ‘avoiding’ line that a variety of traffic might use. I did look at making this a double track, but it didn't feel quite right made things too cramped. I know this subject has probably been done to death in some people’s view, but it suits my current situation.

To get things moving, I have ordered a baseboard from Tim Horn: Link

Here is the current track plan:

I will be using Finetrax turnouts (all A5 for this one) and Easitrack flexi with wood sleepers in the depot and concrete on the avoiding line.

I have taken some inspiration from Tinsley for the look & feel. Locos and supplies from the wider world coming on-depot will come from the top left (some may pass, right to left, on the through line beforehand). Simple refuelling (upper right) / stabling (lower left sidings in front of red office block) will take place on scene. Locos may also enter the partially modelled servicing sheds (with cassettes to the rear) or head to the larger heavy workshops imagined off scene, via the lower right line. Buildings, tanks and other structures will be used as view blockers for the side access points.

All off site lines will lead to a cassette-based fiddle yard arrangement; there may ultimately be scope for an occasional use ‘tail chaser’ fiddle loop for the avoiding line.

A study of the local OS sheet gave up a few possible names and I finally settled on Northcote TMD.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:40:43 pm by Bill Badger »

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Northcote TMD
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
A good looking plan Bill. Like you say - re the loco:wagon/coach ratio of your stock - it should be a good stage for showcasing your stock. And those Tim Horn boards do look very nice indeed. I'm looking forward to watching this one progress. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
I like the idea and the baseboard but my concern is your plan width of 151.92cms translates, in my book, to 59.8 inches for a 48 inch baseboard :confused2:
Sorry if I've wee'd on your chips :uneasy:

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 01:37:09 pm »
I like the idea and the baseboard but my concern is your plan width of 151.92cms translates, in my book, to 59.8 inches for a 48 inch baseboard :confused2:
Sorry if I've wee'd on your chips :uneasy:

Don't worry, it was only vinegar. The photo seems to be a generic illustration in the webshop - my order is for a 152cm long board  ;)

I appreciate the concern though - asking the question never hurts and may save someone from a mess.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:39:00 pm by Bill Badger »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:16:09 pm »
Phew! :sweat: :thankyousign:

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:10 pm »
Spent some time today doing a bit of design work for the maintenance shed buildings.

I used a couple of shots of the eastern(?) end of the main depot at Tinsley for inspiration and eyeballed elements into AutoCAD. This is the result:

A few things to tweak I think. The shorter shed at the rear needs to be wider and have a shallower roof angle; my main shed two roads, hence its roof apex isn’t high enough relative to the ancillary shed which doesn’t look right. Incidentally does anyone know what this building was used for (https://flic.kr/p/7NHn9E); in latter days the road leading to it seemed to house withdrawn locos.

In addition, the distance between the outer main doors and the building wall isn’t wide enough to allow access doors and accommodate plastic sections representing the building frame.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:47:06 pm by Bill Badger »

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:25:34 pm »
A couple of hours today tweaking the mock up for the maintenance shed. The side shed is now wider than it is taller and is more in keeping with the prototype. Have widened the main shed by a few mm and I think it looks better too.

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 11:20:41 pm »
I thought it would be good to get the whole plan printed so I could trial the position of the card trial structures (I was playing with diesel tanks yesterday) and get a feel for sight lines. I have tweaked the track plan slightly, to allow positioning of the tanks and pumphouse; the second line leading off scene to the left has now become a siding.

Now trying to come up with ideas for the building at the left-hand side; it’s intended to add to the view blocker for the running line’s exit off stage. I think I might model the rear of an older brick shed building, now being used as a workshop, perhaps with a single through line (albeit immediately truncated beyond the door, in the style of Knottingley).

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:28:39 pm »
These mock ups, are they a single peice that you have a drawing for? I have been longing of a large set of "mock up building plans" Especially if there were some of RTP buildings and maybe even the complex card kits available, just to outline size and space requirements...

So how did you make them? can you print them out? can i have a copy !

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:13:21 am »
The buildings were made by drawing up a ‘flat pack’ design in CAD (a skill from a previous role at work) and printing on paper which was then stuck to 1mm white card, cut out and assembled. The maintenance shed design is based on the achievable track spacing and eyeballing the main shed at Tinsley. After a trawl of Flickr, the tanks are intended to represent 25000 gallon tanks that seem fairly standard; I estimated the diameter and height from pictures and adjusted to at least get the scale volume right. I think they look OK.

Sorry I can’t help with the ‘large set’ of mock-up plans. I guess most folk would just use a pencil and ruler, but I like CAD because it’s easy to tweak the design. I’m happy to send you a copy, assuming I can get the drawing exported to PDF (never tried on my home set up).

Online Ted

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:55:57 am »
Nice CAD work Bill, a really good idea to mockup/conceptualise like this. I might have a go, although no CAD skills here.

Engine shed looks similar to the Peco version I have, yours is perhaps a little more generous - which means more detail inside!
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Offline Bill Badger

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:44:22 am »
By its nature I guess it is very similar to the RTP versions (just a box with a pointy roof and some rails going through doors); I had noted a similarity to the Scenecraft one had had toyed with idea of buying to bash about and I must admit I wasn't aware of the Peco one.

I'll be building to look like the main shed at Tinsley, if only because there's loads of images available and its as good as anything to use as a prototype!

In other news... a large box, smelling slightly of singed plywood appeared this morning. Hoping there will be something solid to look at this weekend, not just wrinkled paper on the kitchen table.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:47:36 am by Bill Badger »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 11:52:31 am »
Looking seriously brilliant.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 02:39:04 am »
I guess I need to find a good CAD program. I had a look at some that turn 3d models into 2d layouts specifically for papercraft, but it's all expensive or doesn't work very well (see: my inability to use it)!

Well done though, looks very good as a way to get a good feel for it

[Edit] spelling [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:40:54 am by mickster04 »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here