!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Trains - Class 128 Parcels DMU  (Read 2334 times)

PaulCheffus, jamespetts and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Trains - Class 128 Parcels DMU
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 11:42:39 pm »
Ben - will you be able to progress all your announced projects as soon as they are funded, or may there be a need for a queue?

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 09:26:07 am »
Really excited about this project and I will be signing up for one when they go live on the website (green, striped WR version please ;) ).

Would the 64' DMU chassis be applicable to other classes? Farish seem to be sticking with their 57' chassis where this would potentially be useful on the classes 116-120 and possibly others as well.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:37 am »

Hello all,

The 64' chassis could be useful for other projects it's true, but we would be inclined to consider niche prototypes rather than obvious ones.  That's the point of Revolution.

In terms of delays, we are now working with three different manufacturers (and quite possibly soon to add a fourth) in an effort to "spread the love" and minimise the time taken to cycle through these models.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 12:00:09 pm »
Perhaps there's little/no overlap between those who buy kits and those who're going to spring for this. I really don't know. But given all the DMUs out there that desperately need to be made, and the existence of a well-regarded kit, Revolution's choice of the Class 128 really surprised me.

There is definitely a very large part of the potential market that will not consider making a kit or painting a 3D print.

On choices of prototypes - we have to balance likelihood of selling enough to make production possible vs cost vs complexity of tooling etc. As a single car DMU of a quirky and well-liked prototype that appeared in many liveries across a surprising amount of the network it was actually quite an easy and obvious choice.  In an ideal world there is any number of MUs that we would both like to produce but many of them fail on one or more criteria unfortunately!

Cheers, Mike

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:38 pm »
Just to add to what Ben said, our intention was never to open the order book straight away on every project that we announced (our catalogue I think says as much).  We try to stagger things and work to a production plan, but longbow is right that ultimately having sufficient orders may both delay and advance a project, the other areas are the speed of the factory (we're still learning which factories work in particular ways) and of course any development delays - all of which can impact on an original project timeline.

Cheers, Mike

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:02 pm »
You have total admiration and attention for being able to work with Chinese factories!

I'm not being racist here, but from what I understand, factories there can retool very quickly!

Turn out N gauge stuff one week, and pots and pans the next?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2018, 01:05:43 pm »
In terms of delays, we are now working with three different manufacturers (and quite possibly soon to add a fourth) in an effort to "spread the love" and minimise the time taken to cycle through these models.

Ben, Mike.

What safe guards have you in place to stop the new manufacturers from doing a runner with CAD or tooling? (as apparently happened with another manufacturer). Similarly, complete closure of a factory?

Personally, I trust you both (Class B's in my stock box, space allocated for Ferry twins, KFAs, class 92 and possibly a couple of class 128s) but as we're paying up-front for these models to be produced by unknown entities it makes sense to ask....

Steven B.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
I will have to start squirelling away some UK cash, I hear a green one calling my name...but I don't actually need the sound though!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Andy9202

• N Gauge Society Number: 25762
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:26 am »
BR Blue for me please, what DCC will you be using, 6 pin or Next18?

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2018, 10:59:00 am »
Surely everything will be next18 now

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 10:52:50 am »
Uber cool!  :thumbsup:

One green one coming right up!!  :thumbsup:

Ditto! A BIG 'Rule One' for 1960s BR SR / WR Cornwall, I know, but they will be lovely models, I also know. I'll be putting down my deposit ASAP.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:26:53 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 10:57:03 am »
I saw this at their stand on Saturday - I WANT ONE!! in WR green please

Regards,

Alex

As I plan to buy one, too, Alex, it will be running parcels trains across Cornwall! 8-)

Offline bees

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 11:37:58 am »

Hello all,

The 64' chassis could be useful for other projects it's true, but we would be inclined to consider niche prototypes rather than obvious ones.  That's the point of Revolution.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi guys,

Nice to read that the choice of prototype means that the chassis can be used in future projects too. Just a thought, I hope that means it won't just be DMU's but EMU's too.

Thanks Guys
Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 02:19:41 pm »
Ditto! A BIG 'Rule One' for 1960s BR SR / WR Cornwall, I know, but they will be lovely models, I know. I'll be putting down my deposit ASAP.

Anyone know just how far west they got please? I think I'm safe with Oxfordshire :uneasy:
http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=29&type=DMU&page=alloc

@Chris in Prague @Karhedron

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 04:13:33 pm »
Six Gloucester RC&W Co. cars (W55991-96) were delivered to the WR, whilst four (M55987-90; non-gangwayed) were allocated to the LMR, for West Midlands work, and they appear to have worked between Stafford, Nuneaton, Leamington and Kidderminster, from what I have read.

Two of the WR ones, W55991-92, like their GWR predecessor (W34W, Express Parcels Car, in BR Crimson), I think worked between Paddington and Reading, sometimes with trailing loads of one or two parcels vehicles, in photos. I've seen. There was a limit to the load that could be pulled, according to the Railcar website, 64 tons max. So that would 2 bogie parcels vehicles BGs (including ex-GWR ones), GUVs or similar or 3 X four-wheeled parcels vehicles, like BR & SR CCTs, Southern PMVs. Maybe, at peak times, like Christmas, they worked to Oxford?

Before the regional boundary changes, c. 1962/63, the other four WR ones, W55993 - 96 were allocated to Tyseley (84E) for work in the West Midlands, according to the "Railway Observer", including to other reports to West Bromwich, Dudley and Wolverhampton. (They replaced W17W which worked between Snow Hill, Wolverhampton, and Leamington, and was painted all over in BR Crimson.) At that time, it seems Tyseley had 4 units to cover 3 diagrams with 1 unit outbased each at Wolverhampton and Leamington Spa. The Tyseley (which became LMR 2A) units initially stayed on the old WR routes, with the odd foray as far as Walsall, but by the late 1960s they travelled much further: in 1969 there were 4 Tyseley diagrams, including Coventry-Nuneaton and as far as Lichfield City. I have read that the last Tyseley diagrams were withdrawn in Spring 1973.

I hope that this helps and others can add more details. I remember seeing both the LMR and WR ones in the late 1960s and early 1970s, in the Midlands.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:46:51 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here