!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sulzer Power: Six,Eight & Twelve Cylinder Magic, By Mark Nicholls, David Clough and Ian McLean Revie  (Read 262 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Sulzer Power: Six,Eight & Twelve Cylinder Magic, By Mark Nicholls, David Clough and Ian McLean

Book Review: Yet another "Bookmag" and companion volume to "English Electric: Loco Builder Extraordinaire" by the same publisher. I didn't bother writing a review of the latter as it has been covered elsewhere on the forum.

However, like the English Electric issue, Sulzer Power is a mine of information for anyone modelling the transition period and the BR blue era and beyond. As is usual with these publications, Sulzer Power is full of great photographs which are worth the price of the mag alone.

The introduction states:

"Switzerland might not really spring to mind as a country that built diesel engines but the indigenous company did just that, and in huge numbers, exporting all across the world."

The magbook (I never know the correct term for these things) then goes on to cover Kestrel, Lion, Peaks and classes 24,25,26,27,33 and of course the ubiquitous Brush Type 4 or class 47 as it is referred to these days.

Preserved Sulzers are also included, along with some great photographs, some as recent as April 2018.

Like the English Electric issue, there are annotated cab photos showing the layout of the controls and their functions, and informative data tables for each locomotive showing things such as engine specs, horsepower, wheel arrangement, route availability, number built, etc.

The double page photos are particularly impressive. There is a photograph of D0260 Lion in it's imposing white livery, and a great shot of a class 45 Peak in the snow at Kettlesbeck Bridge with a tanker train, taken on December 12, 1981.

Both bookmags are a must for any diesel enthusiast, and at A$15, are good value for money. (I can't find the UK price - probably under the sticker with the Aussie price!)

Recommended by this reviewer.

ISBN: 978-1-912205-23-3

Score: 5
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:10:34 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
I bought it some while ago on the recommendation of another forum member (brain fart means I can't recall who :-[) and would agree with your review score.

BTW - I tend to refer to such things as 'bookazines'

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
That's too long a word and I can't spell it anyway  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Ted

• Awards
I concur with @Bealman - I really enjoyed the bookazine/special.

If you're modelling any diesel era then this is a great reference, an interesting read and will shed some light on things you might not know. The same should be said of "English Electric", from the same publishing house.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:14:03 am by Ted, Reason: typo »
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
I bought it some while ago on the recommendation of another forum member .

Guilty m'lud
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41352.msg507634#msg507634

I have to agree with the above reviews, an excellent book and reference tome, as is the English Electric one.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything