!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster signals  (Read 410 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster signals
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »
I have several of the Berko signals of various types, some are new and unused while others have been altered quite a bit.Gaugemaster still list them as available and for sale.. The prices seem the same but the difference seems to be that the Berko use plastic mouldings for the head, base, and safety loop/ladder support as well as a phone box, while the post appears to be nickel tube. They are unpainted which is why they look Shiney. They have always been made in the UK.

These new Gaugemaster ones look like a step backwards, the heads big and boxy, perhaps because they have the resistors as well as the LEDS inside to make the wiring ‘simpler’. The photos don’t do them any favours.

Izzy

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 12:47:38 pm »
A good observation.  :beers:

However, in N scale, I really think that's the effect that is important. When I look at layouts  at exhibitions, if I see colour light signals changing, I think that's cool!

My own layout used the signals to convey information between operators, but that was along time ago in a galaxy far far away.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 12:52:17 pm »
Berko also produce a round head version. They are made a distributed by online models http://onlinemodelsltd.co.uk/product-category/berko/

However, in N scale, I really think that's the effect that is important. When I look at layouts  at exhibitions, if I see colour light signals changing, I think that's cool!

Agreed. I also think that photos of N gauge models can be very cruel to products and when you see them in real life they can look a lot better.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 01:17:47 pm »
Try these... marketed in the seventies as N gauge light signals!

They were made of brass though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:19:27 pm by Bealman »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »
How did we know that you'd just have to include a BP in the picture.   :-X

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 01:32:00 pm »
 :laughabovepost:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 01:40:44 pm »
These new Gaugemaster ones look like a step backwards, the heads big and boxy, perhaps because they have the resistors as well as the LEDS inside to make the wiring ‘simpler’.

There's no need to do that at all, they'd only need tiny SMD resistors - but just as easy to fit a standard resistor inline in the wiring below the post as some of the other brands do.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 01:43:17 pm »
Try these... marketed in the seventies as N gauge light signals!

They were made of brass though.
That reminds me of the old Fulgurex signals I think.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
These new Gaugemaster ones look like a step backwards, the heads big and boxy, perhaps because they have the resistors as well as the LEDS inside to make the wiring ‘simpler’.

There's no need to do that at all, they'd only need tiny SMD resistors - but just as easy to fit a standard resistor inline in the wiring below the post as some of the other brands do.

Quite. I'm in the throes of making some exGE area searchlight CL's using SMD LEDS. Ergo why the apparently big, boxy heads. Perhaps it's an optical illusion. Someone on 'another' forum has just acquired one at the Gaugemaster open day and says they will relate their findings so perhaps all will become clear. 

cheers,

Izzy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything