!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann colour light signals become hot  (Read 215 times)

Offline parcmor

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fleischmann colour light signals become hot
« on: August 24, 2018, 04:08:02 pm »
I'm not experienced with railway electrics. I'm building a DC layout that I hope to convert to DCC when I get more experienced. I have started to use Fleischmann signals both semaphore and coloured light. I have noticed that they become very hot relatively quickly. Is this normal, if not what am I doing wrong? I use the diagrams that come with the signals to set them up. I think I am doing it correctly. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Fleischmann colour light signals become hot
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:45:51 pm »
What exactly is becoming hot?  Light bulbs?  The mechanism for the semaphore signals? 

What are you using for the power supply? Have you checked the voltage?

My only experience of Fleischmann signals is with the colour lights, older models which I've had since the 80s so they're definitely bulbs not LEDs. I drive these from 15V ac with no problems. Never noticed any heat buildup.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:48:51 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline parcmor

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:34:29 pm »
Hi, thanks for that. The power supply id a Fleischmann transformer. The part that gets really hot is at the top around the bulb. Regards.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »
The part that gets really hot is at the top around the bulb. Regards.

Hmm... check the voltage?  Bulbs can run warm but I wouldn't expect them to be "hot"
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline parcmor

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
Hi, I switched transformers from the first Fm transformer Regler 6720, to a MSF Trafo 6725 and the signals are still getting hot around the light bulbs.  I'm using signals 9225 Licht-Haupsignal (main signal) and 9920 Licht-Vorsignal (distant signal). What is the best way to check the voltage? Regards.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:27:30 pm »
You need a meter to check the voltage. You may find the addition of a series resistor is needed to reduce the voltage. I’m not familiar with the product, but would imagine they are using 12v grain of rice/wheat bulbs. I run my street lights at about 8 volts to give a reasonable illumination and to increase the life expectancy of the bulbs.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 07:24:50 pm »
I’m not familiar with the product, but would imagine they are using 12v grain of rice/wheat bulbs. I run my street lights at about 8 volts

The Fleischmann signals use little MS2.8 flanged bullet bulbs, the same as the ones found in older locos.  Most of the continental manufacturers used the same little bulbs.

The instructions say 12-14V AC.   

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 07:34:39 pm »
Hi, I switched transformers from the first Fm transformer Regler 6720, to a MSF Trafo 6725 and the signals are still getting hot around the light bulbs.  I'm using signals 9225 Licht-Haupsignal (main signal) and 9920 Licht-Vorsignal (distant signal).

How quickly are they getting hot?

I'll run a test with one of my 9225s still unused in its box.  I'll run both bulbs at the same time at 16V DC (which is equivalent to 16V AC RMS)  for a few minutes

[edit] Yes they do get hot at that voltage!  I'd never noticed before but then I don't go around touching the signal heads very often! This was an excessive stress test though, running two bulbs at higher than suggested voltage.

I'll take the voltage down a little....

[further edit]  At 14V (the recommended maximum) one bulb draws approx. 60mA and the signal head is quite hot.  At 10V it's down to 50mA and is just mildly warm, and in my opinion the light is still acceptable for a signal.

Just shows why we've moved to LEDs these days! an equivalent tiny LED might draw 5 -10mA, certainly the really tiny ones I work with are fine with 3-5mA.

Modern model signals eg. Busch, Brawa and Viessmann are all tiny surface mount LEDs, and can have many more aspects on one head than these old Fleischmann signals.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:07:41 pm by ntpntpntp »

Offline parcmor

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:23 pm »
Thank you very much for doing all that, it is much appreciated. I have Viessman signals with the leds as well and so I tried one tonight to see if they would run hot. I had one on for about an hour and there was no heat generated. Thanks again for your help.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here