!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Speeding  (Read 1665 times)

Online daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Speeding
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2018, 02:37:23 pm »
Perhaps we should expand this thread and maybe rename it ‘Speeding and road safety’.

Good points well made @acko22 . :thumbsup:  I agree about standards, perceptions of the right to drive, and the need for a periodic retest for all.

This also caught me eye in the news this morning about Graduated driving licences for new drivers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45627115

And at the risk of starting a war, let’s have more of those average speed camera zones. Seem to work well in my experience, and at least unlike individual speed cameras the person in front of me doesn’t suddenly slow to about 10mph below the legal limit to pass the camera, only to accelerate back to whatever speed they were formerly doing. >:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2018, 02:42:34 pm »
The US has graduated licences, although drivers start younger and often drive far larger, more powerful cars than our conventional new drivers.

Seems to make sense to me, quite odd that having undertaken that single test you can go out and buy a huge, fast 4x4 and fill it with all your mates. I'm not sure how it would have helped in the instance there though, surely she'd still have been there, I guess it may have been one fatality and a serious injury instead of 2 and 2, but that seems to be splitting hairs somewhat.

Offline littlegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24229
  • 2mm Association Number: 4053
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2018, 08:10:01 pm »
Guys
Let me give a professional HGV driver with30 years experience’s view:
Driving standards in the uk are getting worse and now you have to treat everyone else as a complete idiot and have to second guess what they are going to do.They do not know the meaning of lane discipline and carve everyone up that gets in their way Everybody drives around like they haven’t got a second to spit and have no regard for other road users
A few years ago they changed the limits that HGVs are allowed to drive at in England and Wales but NOT in Scotland.
40 mph on single carriageways are now 50 mph
50mph dual carriageways are now 60 mph
Motorways are 60 mph .
Most UK trucks have their speeds limited to 53 to 56mph but will go faster (Downhill with a following wind !!!).
In Scotland (Apart from the A9 between Perth and Inverness which is a mix of single and dual carriageways set at an experimental 50mph straight through) they have stuck to the original limits i.e. 40 mph on single carriageways and 50 mph on dual carriageways.

By the way, I got caught and fined for doing 32 mph in a 30 limit(in a car)by a mobile speed camera van which was sighted on a blind bend so once you came around the corner FLASH FLASH you’re caught
I did the speed awareness course and the tutor said that they were targeting drivers who were just over the speed limit so the 10% discretion is just a myth.
Regards Chris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:07:25 pm by Tank, Reason: Edited out parts that were against CoC »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here